Cory Bernardi

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he not see the hypocrisy?

The 76 senators have an obligation to their state and also to their nation. Regrettably, these responsibilities are often corralled by the straitjacket of career advancement.

To enhance the power of the senate as a house of review, it makes sense for the executive government to be drawn solely from the House of Representatives. It won’t remove the ambition but it will restore the senate to its primary role as a house of review, representing individual state interests.

Perhaps more controversially, it’s time to call time on the derided ‘career politician’. That’s the polly who goes to uni, salts the local branches, gets their first-and-only job as a political staffer and then makes the jump into elected office.

With limited life experience, their only goal is to stay in office as long as possible and climb the greasy pole to get as high as possible.

Term limits for politicians would change that mindset. Knowing they had a finite time in office, be it six or 12 years, would focus the attention of doing something rather than being someone

Australian Conservatives are about principled ideas that make a real difference in the lives of all Australians.
Then I am quite certain Cory will start the transparency and invite the media to investigate who his Political Donors are, what he spends his money on, who he has yoga classes with. etc etc

I'll never understand how you can have right wing Christians.
The religion is named after a guy who ministered to the poor and disenfranchised and saved his anger for the bankers and ruling class which is pretty much the exact opposite of how Bernadi and his ilk roll.
They want to claim some sort of moral high ground and carry on like Nazis.
Inexplicable.
Conservatives use the phrase 'Judeo-Christian values", essentially meaning those values from the hideously reactionary Old Testament.

Written by John Howard's mum no doubt. LOL.

How to burst Canberra bubble, get elected for 8 years on someone else's name. Resign from party to start own movement. Parrot Trump s**t and pat yourself on the back for being a douche bag.

How to burst Canberra bubble, get elected for 8 years on someone else's name. Resign from party to start own movement. Parrot Trump s**t and pat yourself on the back for being a douche bag.
I feel he's more Ted Cruz than Donald Trump. A "conservative" who all but a handful of conservatives hate and with no personality or charisma to appeal to anyone.

I'll never understand how you can have right wing Christians.
The religion is named after a guy who ministered to the poor and disenfranchised and saved his anger for the bankers and ruling class which is pretty much the exact opposite of how Bernadi and his ilk roll.
They want to claim some sort of moral high ground and carry on like Nazis.
Inexplicable.

I think I can explain, on economic issues anyway.

American Christianity has adopted prosperity theology wherein rich people are apparently favoured by God, meaning that poor people have incurred the wrath of God somehow - hence justifying cruelty and sadism towards them.

Because American and Australian culture are so similar nowadays, this thinking has infected many Australian Christians.

What a shame it is that these people include powerbrokers like Abbott and Bernardi.

I think I can explain, on economic issues anyway.

American Christianity has adopted prosperity theology wherein rich people are apparently favoured by God, meaning that poor people have incurred the wrath of God somehow - hence justifying cruelty and sadism towards them.

Because American and Australian culture are so similar nowadays, this thinking has infected many Australian Christians.

What a shame it is that these people include powerbrokers like Abbott and Bernardi.
So, they haven't actually read the Bible?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take is its incumbency people are voting protest against. Not some right wing wet dream

Also trump and brexits opponents made serious mistakes

Also Trump and Brexit more reflected disgust with the political status quo rather than an outright hankering for hard-right policies, so Bernardi has misread them. Plus he lacks Trump's, uh, 'charisma'.

Apparently not.

I think it is a cultural phenomenon arising from the American obsession with wealth.
These are the people though that are likely to claim homosexuality as a sin because its in the Bible but are somehow able to gloss over the bits about being nice to the poor and disenfranchised?
Its cognitive dissonance at ridiculous levels.
Or perhaps its like Igon Value said and they only observe the old Testament in which case they shouldn't really be called Christians since he's the one that all that inconvenient new stuff is about.

These are the people though that are likely to claim homosexuality as a sin because its in the Bible but are somehow able to gloss over the bits about being nice to the poor and disenfranchised?
Its cognitive dissonance at ridiculous levels.
Or perhaps its like Igon Value said and they only observe the old Testament in which case they shouldn't really be called Christians since he's the one that all that inconvenient new stuff is about.

You know, I would think this was plausible if it wasn't for the fact that they're obsessed with 'Jay-zus' (plus I don't think the Old Testament explicitly forbids homosexuality).

It's more likely that they've taken a religion and twisted it to fit their own cultural and personal prejudices.

You see people do this all the time with belief systems. Even with atheism you have people who are simply non-theistic (don't believe in God) and those who are anti-theist (don't believe in God and are actively contemptuous of those who do).

Your weekly dose of common sense
This week the monorail salesman from The Simpsons paid a visit to South Australia. Only this time he was selling giant uneconomic batteries instead of shooting people through vacuum-tubes.

His name is Elon Musk and he runs businesses that depend on huge taxpayer subsidies to function. In fact the three businesses he runs have received around $5 billion in US government largesse.

Now he’s set his sights on the Aussie taxpayer and our hapless leaders are falling over themselves to tweet and chat with him.

Why wouldn’t they? After all, he was in Iron Man and the lefties love him so imagine the levels of green cred a pollie can generate just from chilling with Elon.

But hanging with Elon is very expensive for any government. In fact it’s a textbook example of crony capitalism and everything that’s wrong with it.

Let’s consider his main business: Tesla cars.

As a startup in 2008, Tesla needed around $500 million. Elon Musk lent the company $38 million at a 10% interest rate and got another $465 million from the US government at a 3% interest rate. Musk also got stock options that generated a $1.4 billion profit while the government eventually tipped in another $4.5 billion to finance Tesla’s operations.

Tesla still loses money, doesn’t meet its production commitments and every car is subsidised by thousands of taxpayer dollars.

Musk went on to create two more companies, SpaceX which will provide future services related to satellite launches. SpaceX customers have prepaid so technically it makes money albeit from payments for services not provided.

Solar Cities is his other company which makes and leases solar panels to home owners. It loses money.

All three companies get concessional government loans and thanks to intra-company loans, they are only going concerns because of the inflated value of the Tesla stock price (and government subsidies).

Now Musk has promised to solve the political crisis in South Australia caused by a lack of electricity.

Unfortunately Musk’s numbers and promises don’t stack up but the SA and federal governments are already taking the bait.

After years of peddling fanciful green dreams and endorsing windmills and solar panels as the answer to our growing energy needs, they are close to admitting defeat.

SA Premier Weatherill yesterday commissioned a new gas power plant and ‘battery storage’. While the proposed power plant isn’t big enough, if it does run out of juice I calculate that Musk’s batteries will provide several minutes’ worth of power before needing a recharge!

All up, State Labor’s plan costs taxpayers $550 million, which is a half billion dollar admission of government failure. However, as a shameless political fix I expect it will propel Labor to their 20th continuous year in office.

The South Australian government will be seen to be doing something whilst the SA opposition have been enjoying too many long lunches during their 16 years in opposition. They too fell for the hysteria and hype of renewable energy and refused to stand up for the interests of South Australians.

It was a gross failure of leadership for the SA Liberals and it will likely cost them the next election.

However, despite the cunning of Labor’s new announcement, it will not solve the SA energy emergency. It is too little and much too late.
The only thing that will solve South Australia’s and the nation’s energy woes is to stop the subsidies and let the most cost-efficient and effective baseload power be generated.

It means we must stop the irrational ideological campaign against using our bountiful resources and ensure that we value add to our beautiful black coal deposits.

If we are digging it up for export then surely we can use it ourselves to generate the cheapest, most reliable electricity in the world. That would do more to kick-start our economy and strengthen our manufacturing industry than anything else.

An aside would be that taxpayers would also be able to leave the lights on when they need them the most.

Until next week.

Cory_signature.gif

Cory Bernardi

The old testament is where the anti gay stuff is. It calls for their death.

That's weird. Why would god give gays life in the first place only to want them dead? Sounds like a massive plot hole to me.

Perhaps he should've kept that piece of testament to himself. Since he put them here and all he's probably the 7th billion person who's entitled to complain yet alone spruik a final solution towards them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back