Rewarding albums that may not be a band's best, but might be your favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I apologise for mentioning it then, I guess?
I guess I'm more curious about albums that were seen as a step down, or a disappointment, or aren't really spoken about. In Rainbows' reviews were great and its probably growing more and more as people who were teenagers during its release are now hitting 25-odd and are the ones writing about it on websites and forums.

Stakes Is High by De La Soul... I probably prefer listening to that over 3 Feet High And Rising – feel like I'm so close to cracking that album and loving most of it. Some of Rising just annoys me, I overplayed the singles, and I think I just get it now. There's something about the darkness of that album. Love Dinninit too, maybe my favourite rap song of all time.

To me, Suck it and See was a return to form of sorts for AM (mostly right time right place, it was my AOTY), but in terms of adulation Humbug-Suck it And See was an under-the-radar trough no doubt until AM triggered new waves of attention. You could argue it began with Favourite Worst Nightmare, but as the sophomore that still got solid attention and was well liked enough (and rock was also in a different place in early 2007 compared to 30 months later).

I purchased all of them on day 1, and I was least enthusiastic with Humbug on release. Crying Lightning was a nice lead single, but it didn't announce itself in the way their other albums all have, it's not as readily a shared experience LP and also came with a more subdued atmosphere and oblique lyrics. Plus the vibe of their arrival (myspace and 00s ladness) had come and gone, seen in the longer hair dos.

It was well received, but I think part of that may be down to surprise that they weren't a flash in the pan and could pull off another excellent album so quickly (and with clear signs of melodic growth). There was certainly a time when I preferred FWN, it really takes me back to them days, but I just stopped listening to it at some point. Despite being my most prolifically played AM album front-to-back on itunes, I've only listened to it once or twice in the last five years.

I can understand some saying that they return to Humbug most often, I fully get that.

It was well received, but I think part of that may be down to surprise that they weren't a flash in the pan and could pull off another excellent album so quickly (and with clear signs of melodic growth). There was certainly a time when I preferred FWN, it really takes me back to them days, but I just stopped listening to it at some point. Despite being my most prolifically played AM album front-to-back on itunes, I've only listened to it once or twice in the last five years.

I can understand some saying that they return to Humbug most often, I fully get that.
Favourite Worst Nightmare is by no means a classic but it could have been. If it was an album by a band on the same par as say the Futureheads, it'd be one of those albums no one cares about now but that would have seen them play O2 Academys all over the UK/will be realised as a great classic of the zeitgeist ala The Futureheads debut or Capture/Release. It followed one of the last immediate and obvious classics in music. For sure it shows growth and would've been a cool sign post of their ability to tap into a dark, more sultry than sex (not sexy) vibe. And they nailed slow songs without them being laddish or whatever.

The most impressive thing is they put it all out (along with a bunch of really good b-sides) within a year (or thereabouts) of the first. You never ever see that anymore and it's a s**t. Even shitty second tier bands who barely sell out the Corner but get BNMs take three years for a second album and it's not a massive derailment to their momentum. Who even cares about momentum anymore? It is a blessing and a curse. Imagine say Lorde following up that first album so soon after? Or I don't know, Frank Ocean. It's crazy and commendable.

Jake Bugg put out two very good albums within a year, then took three years to deliver a disappointing follow up. Gang of Youths released a phenomenal album in 2015, a solid EP in 2016 and have a follow up album planned for this year. Will be interesting to see how they go.

To me, Suck it and See was a return to form of sorts for AM (mostly right time right place, it was my AOTY), but in terms of adulation Humbug-Suck it And See was an under-the-radar trough no doubt until AM triggered new waves of attention. You could argue it began with Favourite Worst Nightmare, but as the sophomore that still got solid attention and was well liked enough (and rock was also in a different place in early 2007 compared to 30 months later).

I purchased all of them on day 1, and I was least enthusiastic with Humbug on release. Crying Lightning was a nice lead single, but it didn't announce itself in the way their other albums all have, it's not as readily a shared experience LP and also came with a more subdued atmosphere and oblique lyrics. Plus the vibe of their arrival (myspace and 00s ladness) had come and gone, seen in the longer hair dos.
As someone who has been into them from the start (first saw them live back in 2006), and really grown up with them in a way (being around the same age as the guys in the band), I think 'Suck It and See' and 'Humbug' are by far their best albums. That could be as much to do with the first two albums being thrashed beyond belief at every indie club night for the past decade, and maybe just kind of "growing out of" them too (as you alluded to, they're very much of a particular time and place), but I think the middle two albums don't quite get the adulation they deserve, and should be considered classics in their own right.

It was well received, but I think part of that may be down to surprise that they weren't a flash in the pan and could pull off another excellent album so quickly (and with clear signs of melodic growth).

It's pretty crazy to think how much consistent quality they've produced and even the longevity they've had compared to their peers from that mid-2000s era. Probably comes down to actual talent and songwriting ability, but there was so many hyped indie/alternative bands from that era that have come and gone with barely one good album to their name, while AM are as good and as strong as ever.

Just adore the consistency, faves in many ways just comes down to which ones you've had to give a break or haven't touched in years, they can all be your fave in a certain phase. 2 years ago I was ready to let in WPSIA, TWIN again, renewed and more brilliantly tender and nascent than ever, after a long lay off. It is a timeless album despite the time and place relation we have with it.

When Suck it And See arrived so awesomely, you got the sense that they were certainly here to stay, and in many respects the last gen stadium rock band. AM was an ecstatic realisation of that, but Suck it And See was the satisfying moment for AM fans. I was so irritated with how overlooked it was in 2011 (although the singles may have notoriously scared some away), so the "comeback/saviour" hype for AM (the album) felt bemusing. I guess the bandwagon was back for the strut after skipping the "growing" interum.

I'll probably get shot down for this one but honestly find Angles by The Strokes an enjoyable listen.

Under Cover of Darkness is one of their best songs in my opinion. Gratisfaction perhaps one of their most underrated. Taken for a Fool and Macchu Pichu are also both enjoyable and Life is Simple In the Moonlight is a good closer. Then you have the interesting but not quite nailed disco experiments on Two Kinds of Happiness and Games.

I wouldn't say it's a 'good' album. The other 3 tracks are all complete misses. It's very uneven and disjointed listen - even within songs - which is reflective of the fragmented way in which it was made, but i find the good tracks are enjoyable and there's enough of them to chuck it on every six months and wonder what could have been if the band took the time to put forward a more refined and cohesive effort.

Last edited:
Pop by U2 seems to get panned by many (including the band it seems), but personally I think it's one of their better albums - a great culmination of 90s era U2.

They certainly haven't released a better album since then.

Not sure on better but Definitely not an album as ambitious as that since then. The critical lashing they got for Pop and the Popmart tour meant they played it safe from there on in and blandless was the name of the game.

Some very strong songs on the album but it being compared to Achtung Baby and Zooropa so it never had a chance.

Hallowed Ground by the Violent Femmes.

No hits like their debut and so much the better for it. It's the only femmes album I can still listen to without wanting to stick pins in my eyes not that I was ever a big fan.

Love every single track on the album.

YES!!!!

This was an album with depth. On a trip in the South West for a pre season footy game last weekend the coach but it on and we discussed these same points which would be normally left for discussions on **** etc.

Last edited:
Not sure on better but Definitely not an album as ambitious as that since then. The critical lashing they got for Pop and the Popmart tour meant they played it safe from there on in and blandless was the name of the game.

Some very strong songs on the album but it being compared to Achtung Baby and Zooropa so it never had a chance.

I agree it's not their best album, but is unfairly maligned. Achtung Baby is peak U2 for me. I'd probably rate it as an equal #2 with Zooropa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Pink Floyd's momentary lapse of reason.

I think largely because I used to listen to a lot of radio when I was young and I remember enjoying the singles off it a lot (learning to fly, one slip and all the turning away)

If we're talking U2, then I put a vote in for 'No Line On The Horizon'. With U2 settling into predictable Stodgy Middle Age, I thought this album was a pretty good attempt to break the mould and recapture some of the more experimental "90s U2" sound. Sure, not everything they try works, but the fact they were still trying made for some interesting songs.

REM's 'Fables Of The Reconstruction' is generally seen as the weakest of the "classic REM" albums, but this is home to some of my favourite early REM songs.

Weezers 'Red' album would be in there as well. A bit like 'No Line' in that it had mixed results, but at least they were trying some different things.

Most of the post-punk revival bands suffered a bad case of Second Album Syndrome, but I reckon White Lies' 'Ritual' was the best of them. A change in their sound that worked well to my ears.

If we're talking U2, then I put a vote in for 'No Line On The Horizon'. With U2 settling into predictable Stodgy Middle Age, I thought this album was a pretty good attempt to break the mould and recapture some of the more experimental "90s U2" sound. Sure, not everything they try works, but the fact they were still trying made for some interesting songs.

REM's 'Fables Of The Reconstruction' is generally seen as the weakest of the "classic REM" albums, but this is home to some of my favourite early REM songs.

Weezers 'Red' album would be in there as well. A bit like 'No Line' in that it had mixed results, but at least they were trying some different things.

Most of the post-punk revival bands suffered a bad case of Second Album Syndrome, but I reckon White Lies' 'Ritual' was the best of them. A change in their sound that worked well to my ears.

Fables is my favourite R.E.M. album actually.

Second bloc party album a weekend in the city I don't see as much of a step down from silent alarm, which is certainly an unpopular opinion. I don't like anything by them after this really.

Ritual has its moments, I love power and the glory, top song.

Also green mind is my favourite Dinosaur Jr album.

I consider Wish to still be cannon era Cure, and their last great album.

Ultra is Depeche Mode's last great album, although all albums since have their moments.

Adore is my favourite Smashing Pumpkins album, and I don't mind machina either.

I've always loved Think Tank by Blur.

Zooropa is close to my favourite U2 album.

Priest = Aura is my equal fave Church album

More I can't think of at the moment

Here's one:

Jay-Z - Magna Carta… Holy Grail

Has a metacritic score of 60, and from memory was kinda mocked a bit for how it was released (the Samsung deal he struck) but I dunno, it's one of those albums that has a bunch of good tracks that more than make up for the ones that don't work. In fact, the ones that don't work aren't really bad so much as they just miss the mark a bit. There aren't really any amazing verses, but Jay's not exactly phoning either; he's got cool lines and he even switches up his flow a bit at times. Plus the production for the most part is ******* immaculate. It's just a solid late career album with some really good tracks, and better than a 60/100.

Nirvana - Incesticide is a beauty, Raw but oddly melodic. Nick Cave & seeds - and no more shall we part springs to mind too.

Absolutely love No more shall we part.

I'm new-ish to Nick Cave, so can't comment on his entire discography, but this is my fave. Not a bad song on it.

No More Shall We Part was my entry point and first love from Cave. I was reading Watchmen for the first time when I picked it up, so even today they are intertwined in my memory a hell of a lot.

I've subsequently taken a higher liking to Tender Prey, but No More Shall We Part would be my second favourite (of a consistently excellent discog).

Some good nominations. I really liked Humbug when it came out, if only for those first two tracks and a couple of other really solid songs in the middle. At that point of their career it was the right move. There was probably far too much filler overall though, and the last two AM albums were average. I'll still never understand the universal applause.

Room on Fire is another that had 4 or 5 great songs but overall wasn't a terrific album. I Can't Win, What Ever Happened? and Reptilia are so of the best Strokes songs and I've even go as far as saying WEH is lyrically their best tune.

Daisy is often disregarded but an essential Brand New LP and hasn't got any weak tracks. It's cohesive, the songwriting is good, their guitar experimentation is fantastic and I love the chromatic sounds. It's been compared to In Utero (TDAG to Nevermind) and it's a pretty good assessment. I was talking to a mate who saw them live in 2009 and he reckoned Jesse looked very downtrodden and not in a good way, which makes a lot of sense. Sink, Vices and Daisy are some of their best tracks

There's No Leaving Now is a great Tallest Man LP but also pretty well ignored.

Strange Days is also very unheralded. One of the Doors' best, and it's basically B-sides...

With reference to B sides, both Pearl Jam's Lost Dogs and Oasis's Masterplan are fantastic albums. Not either band's best (though Masterplan is probably the third best Oasis album) but not their worst either and I always enjoy giving them a spin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back