Autopsy Freo defeated by West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations. Definitely the better team tonight beating us 20 to 13. Darling excelled in that first quarter. Clearly spent some time at WAPA in the off-season.

Also, in fairness, it wasn't just us:

If you're relying on that moron to help make a point you've already lost

He would have been watching through the bottom of a pint glass

I look forward to popping into the west coast board again next time you get destroyed by another mediocre team on the road.
Cool

You'll probably only have to wait a week

He would have been watching through the bottom of a pint glass
And so were we after that first quarter. You should be ashamed that you weren't.

Our senior players were asleep tonight, almost as badly as yours were last week. Some of the frees in the first quarter were ridiculous but we still would have lost so it means little in the grand scheme.

Of course we will. Umpiring is done by part timers. I'm sure the other 17 clubs whinge about the state of umpiring as well.

The difference is that West Coast's free kick advantage has been well documented. It isn't just observer bias. They actually do get a lot more free kicks than any other team. A lot.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/66893232c4234f095aeb3bcedb3bd45c
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/293b911d20f1a63fb5e141e1d4f1fb6c
https://thearcfooty.com/2016/09/14/do-teams-that-win-contested-ball-win-more-free-kicks/

expandedteammodelgraph.png

So....... Walters.

Another really poor game. He's been a shadow of himself this season so far. Let's give him a rest if that's what he needs.
Serious question - is he carrying an injury or something. Complete non-contributor tonight and he's a much better footballer than that

Serious question - is he carrying an injury or something. Complete non-contributor tonight and he's a much better footballer than that
I am pretty sure it's something around the groin / adductor region. Has looked very ginger at training for several weeks.

Needs to be rested and get it right.

Yeah, as Dudley said. He picked it up about in Rnd 2 I think. He was in some doubt couple of weeks back, but since basically ruled himself good enough to play and now seems a lock even though he's clearly not anywhere near himself. He's not being helped by those up the field though as you saw for yourself tonight. But either way, he's lacking that sharpness about his play and I think should be rested.

I felt pretty calm through this game as it was still okay output, but seriously that decision against fyfe where nat and mcgovern both marked it at the same .... man that just killed me. Fyfe controlled the ball the whole time and it wouldn't mean much if ******* DANGERFIELD HADN'T BEEN PAID THE MARK FOR THE EXACT SAME 50/50 MARK 5 WEEKS AGO.

I'll see myself to the melt thread.

I am fine with that being paid to McGovern. He was the man in front, first hands on the ball, then Fyfe ripped the ball out of his hands. 10/10 times that is and should paid to McGovern.

Defense has some serious holes in it when trying to defend a team on the run. Holes need to be filled to stop forwards leading or even contesting a pack. We had no slingshot off the back line and Spurr and Ibbo were diabolical at times

Our young mids ran one way at times. Delivery was atrocious, Kersten had 3 on 1 contests several times with a sky high kick. I reckon a third of our stats were either ineffective or turnovers.

Our biggest problem was panic. We panicked moving the ball and when s**t trucks like Darling and Josh Hill smell blood from the inexperienced it isn't going to do well for confidence. Its the reason Sutcliffe and Pearce are at peel lately and the panicking high ball out the immediate area to make it someone else's problem is a cardinal sin in my book.

Painful to watch that one no doubt as we slipped back to hesitating and not taking the game on. The risk taking and playing on instinct as we have in the last few weeks was replaced with the likes of Ibbotson taking time to think which is a nightmare. But we just have to perservere getting games into them until it clicks.

IMG_1006.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference is that West Coast's free kick advantage has been well documented. It isn't just observer bias. They actually do get a lot more free kicks than any other team. A lot.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/66893232c4234f095aeb3bcedb3bd45c
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/293b911d20f1a63fb5e141e1d4f1fb6c
https://thearcfooty.com/2016/09/14/do-teams-that-win-contested-ball-win-more-free-kicks/

expandedteammodelgraph.png
I'm aware of their advantageous home ground umpiring. Let's face it they got the dream team tonight. Freo weren't allowed to compete in a marking contest in the first 3 qtrs. HTB calls went out the window if it was to our advantage.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So....... Walters.

Another really poor game. He's been a shadow of himself this season so far. Let's give him a rest if that's what he needs.

Drop or rest, whichever. He's hurting himself as well as the team with continued performances like that. Bit frustrating that most of us realised he was carrying something 3 weeks ago and he's still limping around out there looking more like Clayton Collard than Sonny Walters.

Well having had a chance to think about the game, strangely I'm not completely pissed off by the loss.

The umpires, I don't think I could add anything that hasn't been said already so let's leave that alone.

As for the reality, we were rubbish tonight and there was a notable difference.

Tonight we looked back a lot more than we normally do and that's because we didn't have the confidence in our foot skills to try and thread our way through the Eagles' zone.

We didn't have the confidence to take the game on and it wasn't as free flowing as we've tried to play over the last 3 weeks. The overlap run wasn't there quite as much tonight but let's be honest, a let down was not far away and tonight happened to be the night.

As much as we could blame the defence; I mean, how many uncontested marks did Josh Kennedy get for starters off? The Eagles seemed to have loose men everywhere when they had the ball and when they didn't, they still had more players than us.

Simple summary, we were outworked tonight. At times we made some school boy errors (4 flying in a contest with no-one at ground level on the Eagles small men) and we certainly butchered the ball a lot more this week. We didn't work hard enough and that was what we get as a result.

Disappointed most definitely but the biggest positive is that we were able to limit the damage after half-time. That's what I take out of the match.

Yeah we played fairly s**t. But to be expected with a young side. For me the most disappointing thing was how some of the senior blokes failed to make a great impact on the game. Fyfe, Mundy, Walters etc need to lift next week. Also, not only that, the game was boring as batshit.

Pleased with the efforts of Balic, Blakely, Weller, McCarthy. Langdon did some stupid things but also some good things.

West Coast confirmed they are flat track bullies and played with no heart as per usual. But there was no doubt they were the better side.

Onto the next my friends.

Putting it out there - do we need a dedicated thread for umpiring ala the Saints board? I agree we got ****** but the emphasis on it does detract a little from our ability to analyse the more pressing issues.

Like the idea, but the problem is sometimes there are games or moments in games where something the umpires did/didn't do is genuinely pertinent to a sensible discussion on the game itself, and then there's just whinging about it (whether justified or not). As long as we're not too strict about it, might be a good idea?

I mean, how many uncontested marks did Josh Kennedy get for starters off?

That is something that confused me. Was it just his movement or were our defenders ball watching? He can get the quality service he was getting tonight but he should not have had as much time and space as he did.

Like the idea, but the problem is sometimes there are games or moments in games where something the umpires did/didn't do is genuinely pertinent to a sensible discussion on the game itself, and then there's just whinging about it (whether justified or not). As long as we're not too strict about it, might be a good idea?

I'm as bad as anyone at melting over the umps in-game, it's more of an idea for post-match stuff and picking out specific instances of maggotry we find particularly offensive. Good place for all of this data too haha. Our umpire research is top ******* shelf.

That is something that confused me. Was it just his movement or were our defenders ball watching? He can get the quality service he was getting tonight but he should not have had as much time and space as he did.

Bit of both but in reality, the defenders weren't getting much help further up the field. If the forwards and midfield pressure more, they don't get the sort of clean, crisp entries into the forward 50 that they did tonight.

As usual lots of over-the-top melts and calls for the list to be culled etc etc. I remember the exact same things said after our massive loss to Port and supporters magically change their point of view after 1 game. A week is a very long time in football folks.

Take out that abysmal first quarter and the blatant umpire favouritism and we're well in the contest. The holding the ball non decision against Yeo after a great tackle layed by McCarthy followed by the transition to West Coast's first goal really set the tone of the game. Of course you can't solely blame the umpires for that loss but as usual they were very poor tonight.

Hughes and Balic showed some great signs and thought they were both two of our best out there. Blakey was also great out of the middle and McCarthy's getting better every week. Weller, again, needs to lower his eyes a bit more but geez when he strikes the ball well it's a brilliant thing to watch.

Kennedy and McGovern destroyed us singlehandedly and somehow Josh Hill and LeCras can pull goals out their asses only when playing at Domain. Can't completely blame Hamling for the demolition from JKK when he's being served footy's on a platter straight on his lead every 4 minutes. Thought Logue looked pretty good when matched up against him though, but just counting the days we have Alex Pearce back in the 22.

Ibbotson looked slow to make decision and dropped marks that McGovern would've eaten for breakfast. I think it's time to pull the trigger on him and bring in Collins. At least Collins can mark the damn footy going by his 13 marks for Peel today. For a leader Spurr looked uninspiring tonight and hopefully we have a ready made replacement in the future in the form of Luke Ryan after a few stints at Peel.

Disappointing result but not the end of the world, there was a lot to like from our young brigade who can't do it all on their own. Looking forward to the response against Essendon next week.

I'm as bad as anyone at melting over the umps in-game, it's more of an idea for post-match stuff and picking out specific instances of maggotry we find particularly offensive. Good place for all of this data too haha. Our umpire research is top ******* shelf.

If we do have the data... While Robbo is a bit goggle eyed at the umpiring, supply it to him. If he can point out Fisher and the obvious one way umpiring, others may take it up. I just find it bizarre that the umpiring isn't proffessional yet when there has been more and more and more money coming in to the AFL in the last few decades.

Don't underrate Kennedy. He's the Coleman medallist for a reason. It's not that our defenders were bad, he is just really good. If you let West Coast go inside 50 times he is going to kick 5 goals, that's what good key forwards do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back