Is it time?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Geelong having Brad Ottens as an ace up the sleeve come finals. He'd pretty much not play all year then come in and dominate finals. I hope the club can convince Nick to miss a couple of games towards the end to get cherry ripe for a finals tilt. Though Nick is that competitive I'd hate to be the one to tell him that he needs a spell. Love him, hope he plays forever. Want nothing more than a fairytale flag for St Nick.
Have said the same thing about Lenny- Harves - Burke over the years , I just want a Flag for the Saints now. Club will make the right call on Roo and Joey when needed

I think the perfect time to give Rooey a rest was yesterday, we can't take Sydney lightly next week and we're going to have to play at our very best to beat the Bulldogs. I hope that we haven't extended his run of below par form (and lets be honest, below par for Roo is still better than most players' best) by playing him yesterday.

There can only be 18 players on the field. If he's struggling or blocking the advance of a young player, then piss him off.
He's not the first St Kilda veteran player to retire :rolleyes:
Roo is clearly best 22 even know he's down on fitness &/or form the past fortnight. His form this year has been very good & comfortably sits in our best 10 players for the year & top 5 overal.

I don't need to tell everyone about how great a servant Roo has been & his status amongst the clubs greats. We know his accolades & we know how much blood he's shed for the club & how proud we are of him.

Now the tough part. Imo for our club to continue to move forward, develop others in his role (wing or fwd), & step up in a leadership capacity, Roo needs to move on. This goes against everyone I've previously said in regards to Roo still being one of our better players on the list, I get that. I just suspect some players, even with leadership roles, & Roo playing on the wing, are being held back/holding themselves back with Roo still in the team.

I realise Roo will likely come out next week or the week after or even next year & win games for us, that's something Iacknowledge will continue however there's more an intangible element to the positive effect of Roo retiring & giving the opportunity for others to stand up & become the man.

I realise this post won't go down well, we tend to get very defensive of our own & discussions such as this are difficult.

Love ya Roo but time to move on at years end imo.
Must be a little unnerving when the only person who agrees with you guys on this is Michael Malthouse.

Just sayin'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/73535153bda5cd2629a8e8ee8ce8585f

He didn't have a great game. BUT... that little patch where he marked the ball, slowed things right up, kicked short, ran forward about 40m and received again, was absolutely crucial. He just set the tempo at that moment.

Last edited:
Seems to think the club still needs him on the field in some capacity, even if hobbled and virtually ineffectual. While admirable, some realism needs to be applied.

Needs to have it communicated this is no longer the case and that's by removing auto-selection. If he's not up to the usual warm-up routine, he's not up for the match.

It's good to see that Joey is considering retirement.
Yeah it's actually a positive sign in my honest opinion. It shows he and the our club are willing to consider retiring a gun player who had did everything for his club because we are confident of our young players to step up.

Also frees up cash for Jelly ;)

So everyone loves Roo but is it time that he steps back and lets the team grow without him? I know it's a touchy subject but is he now putting himself ahead of the team? When he's on one leg, he's a liability. He needs to get fit or retire.

You are writing something as if its new to the club and they haven't addressed it. I just reckon we have people at the club who would see what we see and then 10 times more. He plays every game he can if fit. If not he is out injured like any other player.

You are writing something as if its new to the club and they haven't addressed it. I just reckon we have people at the club who would see what we see and then 10 times more. He plays every game he can if fit. If not he is out injured like any other player.

That's the point. He's not fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have said the same thing about Lenny- Harves - Burke over the years , I just want a Flag for the Saints now. Club will make the right call on Roo and Joey when needed
Fair call mate. Definitely wasn't saying player before club. We'll take a flag any way we can get it.

Thought it was strange he would say it. Seems he is fit enough to play. Well certainly yesterday. Hopefully he is fit enough next week. If not he is out injured and hopefully Paddy plays.
The ability to see out a game and the ability to be effectual are two different things, and that is the point.

Putting his hand up because he thinks he can get through a game should be subject to evaluation of projected effect.

If you cannot get to the drop of the ball on a lead despite your 'ability to still get through the game', you're effectively detracting from your own opinion on the matter.

The ability to see out a game and the ability to be effectual are two different things, and that is the point.

Putting his hand up because he thinks he can get through a game should be subject to evaluation of projected effect.

If you cannot get to the drop of the ball on a lead despite your 'ability to still get through the game', you're effectively detracting from your own opinion on the matter.

You have club doctors to work that out. They do see these guys at training. It isn't just in Roos hand especially after last week.

Looks like an 80% for Roo up forward is a better option than a 100% fit Paddy.

However, inferring that Roo doesn't put the team first us absolute trash talk.

There were a few times he could have left for bigger $ but didn't... and we can probably thank GT as mentor for that.

Roo could have a leg amputated and still put his hand up to play.

The club will decide accordingly.

At some stage this year if he isn't already Paddy is going to be banging the door down and if he can't get because Roo is playing then sorry Nick....but it's someone else's turn. We can't lose a ten year key forward trying to squeeze every minute of out a 34 or 35 year old. I said it the other day but you are kidding yourself if you think Paddy is just going to happily sit by and wait for the great man to retire.

Some are going to say "we can move him to the wing". Then which midfielder do you want to miss out? Acres? Sinclair?

Been one of my favourites since he started and almost dragged us to a flag but it's about the team and the next 10 years now.

Don't expect that to be received well but that's the way I see it.

At some stage this year if he isn't already Paddy is going to be banging the door down and if he can't get because Roo is playing then sorry Nick....but it's someone else's turn. We can't lose a ten year key forward trying to squeeze every minute of out a 34 or 35 year old. I said it the other day but you are kidding yourself if you think Paddy is just going to happily sit by and wait for the great man to retire.

Some are going to say "we can move him to the wing". Then which midfielder do you want to miss out? Acres? Sinclair?

Been one of my favourites since he started and almost dragged us to a flag but it's about the team and the next 10 years now.

Don't expect that to be received well but that's the way I see it.

Agree 100%

Roo has been a champion of the club & bled for us but we need to keep an eye on the present & future. It's not like Roo hasn't been compensated by the club. We've made him one of the highest paid players in the league over the journey he's been with us. Time to inject the MG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back