Analysis As Bad As It Gets... The GAZ-Man

Remove this Banner Ad

So the almighty YouTube algorithm linked this amazing series to me over the weekend.

As a sucker for longform media, I was engrossed watching/listening to the whole run and I absolutely recommend it for anyone that loves their footy history.

Fellow St Kilda masochists, I present to you "As Bad As It Gets" by The GAZ-Man

MODS: Please merge if this has already been linked elswhere or if it needs to go in the media thread.

I have watched the series in its entirety as well... Its a must watch for any Saints fan... I laughed, I cried, I got angry, then I cried again, and again, and again, and again...

Not going to spoil too much, but when you hear that we were losing games in the early days because the senior players preferred going to the races instead of playing footy, you wonder how we even survived.

Not going to spoil too much, but when you hear that we were losing games in the early days because the senior players preferred going to the races instead of playing footy, you wonder how we even survived.
I’m not sure I can do it right now. Perhaps somewhere into pre-season, not just after the Pies win another flag.

So the almighty YouTube algorithm linked this amazing series to me over the weekend.

As a sucker for longform media, I was engrossed watching/listening to the whole run and I absolutely recommend it for anyone that loves their footy history.

MODS: Please merge if this has already been linked elswhere or if it needs to go in the media thread.

Did he just call Prahran, Pray-Rarn?

Go and get yourself a copy of Heroes with Halos if you can. I'm proper invested in the history of the club and that book was a terrific read. From the the early days we were a club of characters, that's been true for most of our existence actually.

Didn't win a game in our first four seasons IIRC, players more interested in going to the pub than play.

Some horrible luck too, worst of them being the 1913 GF. We won the grand final v Fitzroy and so would've been premiers if not for the rules back in those days that stated the team who finished first, if they made a GF, could request a rematch if they lost. And so they did, and we lost the rematch lol.

We really started to become truly professional (for those times anyway) in the 50's under the resurgence led by Alan Killigrew. Unearthed genuine legends of our club in the 50s and 60s like Howell Gleeson Roberts Ditterich Baldock Stewart Smith and co.

Some horrible luck too, worst of them being the 1913 GF. We won the grand final v Fitzroy and so would've been premiers if not for the rules back in those days that stated the team who finished first, if they made a GF, could request a rematch if they lost. And so they did, and we lost the rematch lol.

I did a bit of research into this a while ago for my sons school project, and its worse than that. The minor premier didn't even have to make the 'GF' in order to challenge. The way the system was set up Week 1 2nd played 4th, Week 2 1st played 3rd. The winners would then play in Week 3 as a 'GF' of sorts... But they were suspecting that the Minor Premiers were tanking in Week 2 to have a week off, then challenge the winner of the next game, so they scrapped it in 1931. Interestingly between 1907-1931, 17 Flags were determined by the challenge system. Carlton, Fitzroy and Collingwood seemed to be the major beneficiaries.

I did a bit of research into this a while ago for my sons school project, and its worse than that. The minor premier didn't even have to make the 'GF' in order to challenge. The way the system was set up Week 1 2nd played 4th, Week 2 1st played 3rd. The winners would then play in Week 3 as a 'GF' of sorts... But they were suspecting that the Minor Premiers were tanking in Week 2 to have a week off, then challenge the winner of the next game, so they scrapped it in 1931. Interestingly between 1907-1931, 17 Flags were determined by the challenge system. Carlton, Fitzroy and Collingwood seemed to be the major beneficiaries.
Carlton cheating the system...some things never change

Also looked into it and yeah the minor premier just had to lose in finals and they got the right to freshen up and then challenge the team that then played and won the "final". Gets worse than that though since at the time you had regions that were "where you worked" so you had things around and streets had bricks instead of just dirt for rail AND tram! Meanwhile the draw for St Kilda was its bath houses, and sure you had rail and tram but it was where you lived to relax and chill and it had many a church, graveyard, school and the aforementioned bath house as main draw when compared to, well, what Carlton has as heritage listed buildings and parliament instances.

The way I look at it, to have even survived that history is a positive.

It's like if the current AFL invited Tasmania in but without all the concessions they will get and removed all equalisation mechanisms all clubs currenly enjoy, and just watched them fail and fail again.

Even with the help and concessions and equalisation they got, look how well ALL the expansion clubs barr West Coast did in their first few years.

We had that going on when it was still more or less amateur sport, and yet we STILL survived Fitzroy and South Melbourne.

If you want to pull your eyes out then go-ahead and waste your time watching this:

The you-tubers entire narrative is "this is how losers lose" and St Kilda are soooooo good at it

Spends little time actually analysing our history and more time analysing -

• The St Kilda schoolgirl
  • Amed Saad
  • Cooper Gresch from some facebook page
  • Max Kings kicking
  • etc
I'm pretty proud of my club and couldn't give a rats arse anyone else thinks of us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you watched the whole series MordySaint ?

The Plugger episode alone is fascinating.

I get that going over the horrible history of St Kilda isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's actually amazing how the club pulled through so many things that should have killed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back