Prediction Who gets to the next level in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seasons Greetings Sainters!!

It's that time of the year when not much is happening to satiate our unquenchable desire to know exactly how our beloved Saints are gearing up for the new season. Over the next 14 days it's entirely up to ourselves to provide the entertainment, however there is only so much George and Dard Ball Get romancing the stone interactions you can bear witness to, before a laugh turns into a thin grimace.

And no Barrels, we do NOT need a best 22 of St Kilda players who could have played test cricket, although their are a pair of 35's that would absolutely make that team.

Suffice to say that, the ground is fertile for a prediction thread. Or two. So I thought I might kick one off and ask you all to name your top 3 players who are likely to break their own performance barriers and push through to the next level. So ladies and gents tell us which players you think are on the up and why. And I don't just mean which best 22 players are tracking to become elite. It can be anyone in the Saint Kilda family who you think is going to make a bigger impression in 2023.

My 3?

3. Brendan Goddard. Had a taste of coaching last year, albeit at VAFA level. The arrival of Ross Lyon has gifted him an opportunity to get involved again at the highest level and impart his knowledge gleaned from 205 games with the Saints and over 100 more at the Bombers. By all reports he is relishing being amongst it again, and I think he is gong to be a very important cog in the wheel for the Saints not just in his teaching role but also with his game day thinking.

2. Cooper Sharman. I can't help but feel like the Sharminator has been stung by his inability to crack the St Kilda forward line last year. Even before Max King went down he put in the effort and has hit the track this year noticeably bigger. He hasn't neglected his running however, and has been prominent in the running drills this far. We all know what a pure set shot kick he is, but his reaction time and decision making is seriously good. Cooper gets the opportunity to become the spearhead up front in 2023, and I think he is primed to seize the day.

1. Marcus Windhager. We found one here didn't we lads. He blew up the track when the first to fourth years returned, and not much changed when the senior players folded back in to training. He's hungry, he's seriously tough and his running levels now almost demand that he be given a pure midfield role. I think Marcus takes another step up from what was a fantastic debut year just in terms of his size and athleticism alone. If the coaching staff can hone his instincts and improve his kick then he's a chance to take the whole competition by storm.

Not sure my posting could get much better but I will have a crack

Last edited:

Not sure my posting could get much but I will have a crack
Bleeding hell Mowy you could have started with that post! What are you waiting for? Give us another two!

Bleeding hell Mowy you could have started with that post! What are you waiting for? Give us another two!
Been rather large couple of days for me 🍺

Lets be honest there is a fair few in here that really need to take it up 2 or 3 levels

Sharman for me. King’s injury will hopefully be the making of him. I’d like to say Hunter Clark but my confidence in him is fading.

We all know what Windhager is capable of & I can see him going to the next level in his 2nd season, so no real surprise there.
IMO I believe Jack Higgins under RTB is going to be our biggest improver, Ross likes his players to go for goals (re:Milne) & can see Higgo letting loose.

Zac Jones will have a very good year

Higgins, Windhager, and hopefully Bytel.

Not far behind them: Nasiah, Owens, Sharman.

Keeping a close eye on the Clark, Coffield and Paton trio, those three coming on together again could be huge.

Think one of Hotton, Keeler, or Van Es impresses as first year players. Phillipou may as well, but given the hype around him he may have to do something extraordinary to exceed that.

When King gets back, if we are cooking with gas he’ll average more goals a game than he has prior IMO.

Above all else, I just want consistency and relatively injury-free season for the young-ins.

As for the older blokes, Wood looks to continue good form. Brad Hill the other likely candidate thus far. And I think Marshall will relish being the main man in the ruck.

Don’t have too many concerns, though I am curious to see how Howard goes under Lyon. Same goes with Butler. Would love the both of them to recapture 2020 form. Both have been good of late but have higher ceilings no doubt IMO.

And no Barrels, we do NOT need a best 22 of St Kilda players who could have played test cricket, although their are a pair of 35's that would absolutely make that team.
Need? No. Getting? Absolutely.

B: Reg Ellis - Keith Miller - Rob Eddy

HB: Jack Sinclair - Simon O’Donnell - Lance Oswald

C: Brendon Goddard - Jack Lowry - Luke Ball

HF: Darrel Baldock - Nick Riewoldt - Sam Loxton

F: Bill Young - George Young - Charles Baker

Foll: Alan Morrow - Robert Harvey - Bruce Duperouzel

Int:
Shane Warne - Bob McLean - Herb Guthrie - Norm Mitchell

Em: David Shepherd - Alan Thomson - Charles “Gillie” Wilson - Jimmy Matthews

Coach/23rd man: Stuart King
There’s a few others… mostly one season wonders with both games.

Last edited:
Seasons Greetings Sainters!!

It's that time of the year when not much is happening to satiate our unquenchable desire to know exactly how our beloved Saints are gearing up for the new season. Over the next 14 days it's entirely up to ourselves to provide the entertainment, however there is only so much George and Dard Ball Get romancing the stone interactions you can bear witness to, before a laugh turns into a thin grimace.

Suffice to say that, the ground is fertile for a prediction thread. Or two. So I thought I might kick one off and ask you all to name your top 3 players who are likely to break their own performance barriers and push through to the next level. So ladies and gents tell us which players you think are on the up and why. And I don't just mean which best 22 players are tracking to become elite. It can be anyone in the Saint Kilda family who you think is going to make a bigger impression in 2023.

My 3?

3. Brendan Goddard. Had a taste of coaching last year, albeit at VAFA level. The arrival of Ross Lyon has gifted him an opportunity to get involved again at the highest level and impart his knowledge gleaned from 205 games with the Saints and over 100 more at the Bombers. By all reports he is relishing being amongst it again, and I think he is gong to be a very important cog in the wheel for the Saints not just in his teaching role but also with his game day thinking.

2. Cooper Sharman. I can't help but feel like the Sharminator has been stung by his inability to crack the St Kilda forward line last year. Even before Max King went down he put in the effort and has hit the track this year noticeably bigger. He hasn't neglected his running however, and has been prominent in the running drills this far. We all know what a pure set shot kick he is, but his reaction time and decision making is seriously good. Cooper gets the opportunity to become the spearhead up front in 2023, and I think he is primed to seize the day.

1. Marcus Windhager. We found one here didn't we lads. He blew up the track when the first to fourth years returned, and not much changed when the senior players folded back in to training. He's hungry, he's seriously tough and his running levels now almost demand that he be given a pure midfield role. I think Marcus takes another step up from what was a fantastic debut year just in terms of his size and athleticism alone. If the coaching staff can hone his instincts and improve his kick then he's a chance to take the whole competition by storm.
1672052251967.gif
I have no feelings toward George whatsoever, especially not those leaning towards positivity - let alone romance 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1578480
I have no feelings toward George whatsoever, especially not those leaning towards positivity - let alone romance 😎
So you’re just stringing him along?

Master P Reaction GIF

I'll go with the 6 to thrive under RTB ( excluding Windhager coz he is a given).
Hill, Sharmanator, Mitchoto,Higgins,Billings, Jones.
Special mention for Bytel and Leo Connelly if they get a go to have a go😉
I reckon Longy could have turned in his rnd 23 numbers regularly under Ross.

Last edited:
Need? No. Getting? Absolutely.

B: Reg Ellis - Keith Miller - Rob Eddy

HB: Jack Sinclair - Simon O’Donnell - Lance Oswald

C: Brendon Goddard - Jack Lowry - Luke Ball

HF: Darrel Baldock - Nick Riewoldt - Sam Loxton

F: Bill Young - Charles Baker - George Young

Foll: Alan Morrow - Robert Harvey - Bruce Duperouzel

Int:
Shane Warne - Bob McLean - Herb Guthrie - Norm Mitchell

Em: David Shepherd - Alan Thomson - Charles “Gillie” Wilson - Jimmy Matthews

Coach/23rd man: Stuart King
There’s a few others… mostly one season wonders with both games.
Shane Warne was the greatest spinner, and u have him on the interchange?

Windhager will go beyond the next level to another dimension.
I think we’ve got a lot of players who could go to another level just by playing every week, like Marshall, Gresham, Clark and Coffield.
There is an argument for numerous players to improve, however if we’re limited to 3 I’d go for Windhager, Higgins and NWM.

Shane Warne was the greatest spinner, and u have him on the interchange?
Greatest spinner… not greatest footballer.

You wanna play him ahead of both Youngs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back