Discussion Saints part ways with recruiting manager after restructure

Remove this Banner Ad

Finnis was the CEO, who was also forced to also be the head of football because we couldn't afford one.
As CEO his job is to set the culture, manage the facilities and increase income. I think he did these pretty well.
He was a terrible head of football because, I assume, he couldn't do the extra 70 hours a week the role probably requires and he was not qualified for the (non-existent) position. But he shouldn't have had to do it really, another victim of paying off Docklands on behalf of better placed clubs.
He fired pelchen and replaced him with Jamie cox.

Brisbane were in a more dire situation. Offield and On. They didn't take anywhere near the time we did to turn the onfield around.

It doesn't take over a decade to play finals.
Not sure Gold Coast Suns agree with you. And if North Melbourne hadn’t just been gifted the cream of the draft crop they were looking at a 10 year run.

Brisbane in a more dire situation than tens of millions in debt, a shared home ground with next to no revenue, selling home games to make ends meet and training out of a facility everyone hated.

Lmao, unreal.

I find it extraordinary that out of 18 herald sun journo’s, only one (Mark Robinson) has us making the eight!

Its worth taking a couple of bets IMO.
Saints to make the 8 is $2.50 ( Ten clubs have lower odds ).
Saints to make the 4 is $8.00

Couple of equal bets, if we fail to make the 4 and make the 8, still get more than your money back.

I find it extraordinary that out of 18 herald sun journo’s, only one (Mark Robinson) has us making the eight!

When i used to read the sun somewhat frequently, say 5 years ago or so, Robinson would frequently give us a wrap when warranted and likewise throw out constructive criticism when deserved.

I consider him a straight shooter. Maybe we are also his second team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The move to Seaford would rate as one of the worst decisions in our History and there have been a few
maybe so, but you have to remember, Moorabbin, was dilapidated, noone want ed to come there. they lhad little in the way of facilities, and somehow within 10 years they have a magnificent facility back at Moorabbin.

I think people fail to understand just how dire things were for us when Finnis took over. Cash strapped, s**t deal with Marvel Stadium, small club and in a full rebuild. Hard to remember any CEO in footy taking on a similar role. He prioritised getting the football club back to becoming a functioning business and less reliant on AFL funding by doing things like relocating back to Moorabbin and because we had literally no money, selling games to NZ and China.

Yes the priority should be footy but if it wasn't for him we'd be still training out of Seaford and the connection between the supporters and footy club wouldn't be anywhere near us strong as it is now.

He put foundations in place to make sure we were still in the competition in 50 years time. Bit of pain in the short term for sure but he had long term future of the club in mind.

You can't say that with the Moorabbin redevelopment and record sponsorship, membership and now generating decent revenue, that it wasn't down to the pillars he put in place during his time.

And who is to say Lyon and the rest of the footy department we have now end up coming back to the club if we are a s**t show off field? You need to have solid foundations to build from. No doubt in my mind that the position we're in off field has set us up to land these key footy dept appointments. Again it was short term pain but if that was the price we had to pay to land genuine quality then so be it

Not sure Gold Coast Suns agree with you. And if North Melbourne hadn’t just been gifted the cream of the draft crop they were looking at a 10 year run.

Aim high. We don't want to follow the crap. GC are a different issue than most.

Remember when Finnis put Peta Searle into a assistant coaching role because it would look like great for our inclusivity instead of chasing the absolute best candidate? The days of hanging onto second-rate footy department remoras that seemed to defy normal employment systems? Richo was our second longest serving coach despite having the worst winning record of any coach over 100 games or something.

We were absolutely lost as to how to structure up a footy department so just made random grabs at people who we thought looked good on paper. Lyon's negotiation seemed be about having a guarantee on being able to make his own cals and chase his people. To me it looked like Lyon could see where the problems inside the club sat.

Pretty sure that Finnis had a pretty serious austerity program for the club unless it looked progressive and had nothing to do with footy.
you are putting a bit of mayo on this story here ... Peta Searl was given a development coaching role with the club in 2014 after stints at the Western Jets in development and Port Melbourne as an assistant behind Gary Ayres... yes it was a "feel good" appointment but worth noting we were not exactly the "destination club" for people to want to go to after having Ross walk out Watters get fired and Pelchen being removed we were an unstable club and the board were brand new after ousting the previous board and we were a mess - we didnt overlook better candidates for Peta we took the best candidate we could get for that position in Peta
Finnis- gave us A grade Facilities & stabilised the Finances - without those 2 building blocks we would be F….d.

A lot of alliteration!

He was probably 2 woke for mine & neglected the footy department but sometimes in business you just can’t do it all at the same time.

AFL is big boys club & not a company with proper governance- never forget that - very handy that Lethlean can pick up the phone & have a chat to his old chums!
I dont get what 2 woke means ? as a club we had lost our identity we were not even everyones "second" team anymore the only thing we stood for was scandal the only time we rated a mention was for something we stuffed up or self imploding .. Finnis pushed projects that gave us an identity coming out of the School girl scandal with the lingering effects of the Milne issue we were not viewed as a positive organisation. We needed to repair our image especialy if we were going to reach out to engage with the community for our Moorabbin hub . Theres a saying "go woke go broke" but that is completly backwards if you want to survive you need to read the mood of the times and adapt to them, personally it made me proud that our club started to show some social heart and instill values that are relevant and appropriate

Brisbane were in a more dire situation. Offield and On. They didn't take anywhere near the time we did to turn the onfield around.

It doesn't take over a decade to play finals.
you are kidding right ... Bris had a player retention issue players were leaving in droves but they were still the big fish in a 2 team state that the AFL were determined to make work.. Bris didnt have 9 other teams to compete with in the same market they didnt have to navigate generational poverty as a club, they didnt need to factor in financial loss from home games... Bris did amazing to get from where they were to where they are but just like the Crow did and the Swans aand what WCE will do in the not to distant future bouncing back is a much easier task for them being the big fish in their home state market ..

I agree regarding Searle.

2 years ago we had Ben Jacobs , straight out of his playing career, a development coach at StKilda.
That is way way less experience than Searle had. Her qualifications were up there.

Last edited:
Peta we took the best candidate we could get for that position in Peta
there were much better people for the job, it was a rubbish appointment

Thats one of the reasons our development was rubbish for 10 years

Its ok to admit the club gets things wrong

there were much better people for the job, it was a rubbish appointment

Thats one of the reasons our development was rubbish for 10 years

Its ok to admit the club gets things wrong
Honestly a bigger issue was the revolving door of Sandy coaches, playing young players out of position and not since Paul Hudson till today has Sandy had a good coach.

Honestly a bigger issue was the revolving door of Sandy coaches, playing young players out of position and not since Paul Hudson till today has Sandy had a good coach.
Whatever happened to Paul Hudson? I thought he'd go onto bigger and better things...if not with us, then with another club. Is he reporting or something? I could look it up I suppose, but I've got things to do 😆

She got 4 years as a senior assistant and development coach. We struggled to develop talent in that period. Had Richo who was barely competent himself and were obviously barely moving. A serious eye over the football department would have identified coaching and development as key issues in that period.

It's amazing how often an investment in quality staff turns s**t around. We needed a strong director of footy to slap the board into action and start the ball rolling.

I think Bassat has turned a lost ship around by getting hands on and working out what was wrong instead of just hoping that some luck would fallen our laps.

Anyway. Peta wasn't the main problem by a long shot but she was symbolic as a Finnis type of appointment.

She got 4 years as a senior assistant and development coach. We struggled to develop talent in that period. Had Richo who was barely competent himself and were obviously barely moving. A serious eye over the football department would have identified coaching and development as key issues in that period.

It's amazing how often an investment in quality staff turns s**t around. We needed a strong director of footy to slap the board into action and start the ball rolling.

I think Bassat has turned a lost ship around by getting hands on and working out what was wrong instead of just hoping that some luck would fallen our laps.

Anyway. Peta wasn't the main problem by a long shot but she was symbolic as a Finnis type of appointment.

We had no-one to develop. We got the most out of guys who were not AFL standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back