Discussion Saints part ways with recruiting manager after restructure

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't say that, he said it wasn't funny and quirky. I agree. I think funny and quirky is a bridge too far and that "challenged and odd" is much more in our wheelhouse.....
Damn straight baby
Fail Work Out GIF by SVT

I was interested to hear when you heard, and how you felt, about getting Dalrymple (given that there's nothing on the club website) and then I read forwards from there. I'm impressed by the standard of contributions in this thread! Is this thread typical of your board? There don't appear to be many funny or quirky posters but lots of reasoned, well-informed analysis. Hats off. Also glad to hear that you feel like the club has its house in order and that your future is bright. You had a brilliant season last year way outperforming everybody's expectations from beginning to end. I hope you can consolidate and repeat the feat of playing finals (preferably at the expense of someone like Collingwood or Carlton).

Dalrymple is a good recruiter and I reckon you've done well to poach him (possibly ahead of other rivals). I'm sorry we lost him and I don't know why he left us. Possibly he's a bit mercenary. Possibly he got sick of dealing with Kinnear Beatson. Maybe he likes a change of scenery and some fresh challenges every so often. Maybe he wanted to expand his role beyond drafting. I don't think it was because he wanted to return to Melbourne because I understand he never had to leave and was based in Melbourne the whole time. Let me know if you find out.

Cheer, cheer.
The calm and thoughtful contributions are a result of no games being played at the moment. When they start again we can go back to civil war.

I was interested to hear when you heard, and how you felt, about getting Dalrymple (given that there's nothing on the club website) and then I read forwards from there. I'm impressed by the standard of contributions in this thread! Is this thread typical of your board? There don't appear to be many funny or quirky posters but lots of reasoned, well-informed analysis. Hats off. Also glad to hear that you feel like the club has its house in order and that your future is bright. You had a brilliant season last year way outperforming everybody's expectations from beginning to end. I hope you can consolidate and repeat the feat of playing finals (preferably at the expense of someone like Collingwood or Carlton).

Dalrymple is a good recruiter and I reckon you've done well to poach him (possibly ahead of other rivals). I'm sorry we lost him and I don't know why he left us. Possibly he's a bit mercenary. Possibly he got sick of dealing with Kinnear Beatson. Maybe he likes a change of scenery and some fresh challenges every so often. Maybe he wanted to expand his role beyond drafting. I don't think it was because he wanted to return to Melbourne because I understand he never had to leave and was based in Melbourne the whole time. Let me know if you find out.

Cheer, cheer.
We’re high on optimism and belief so things are mainly civil. Wait until we lose one (1) game and check out the autopsy thread for a different experience!!

Good luck to the Sydney Sweeney’s… erm, Swannies this year. But go Sydney Sweeney as well too.

I was interested to hear when you heard, and how you felt, about getting Dalrymple (given that there's nothing on the club website) and then I read forwards from there. I'm impressed by the standard of contributions in this thread! Is this thread typical of your board? There don't appear to be many funny or quirky posters but lots of reasoned, well-informed analyses. Hats off. Also glad to hear that you feel like the club has its house in order and that your future is bright. You had a brilliant season last year way outperforming everybody's expectations from beginning to end. I hope you can consolidate and repeat the feat of playing finals (preferably at the expense of someone like Collingwood or Carlton).

Dalrymple is a good recruiter and I reckon you've done well to poach him (possibly ahead of other rivals). I'm sorry we lost him and I don't know why he left us. Possibly he's a bit mercenary. Possibly he got sick of dealing with Kinnear Beatson. Maybe he likes a change of scenery and some fresh challenges every so often. Maybe he wanted to expand his role beyond drafting. I don't think it was because he wanted to return to Melbourne. After all, I understand he never had to leave and was based in Melbourne the whole time. Let me know if you find out.

Cheer, cheer.
Thank you for your incisive and thoughtful post. I must admit you had me at your nickname, Callipygian.

As a connoisseur of curvy female buttocks, particularly those of the Latino type, my assessment of your post was initially clouded (I know what you're thinking😜) by the distraction of your nick, as my thoughts wandered.

Upon reflection and a second reading, I found it to be a post of excellent quality. I will henceforth "Cheer cheer your nickname, alright. I will honor your nick by day or by night!"
Cheers!

Cheer, cheer.
Usually off season is insane nutso time on this board due to the fact that since you beat us in the 2011 final up until Lyon came back in the place has been a basket case.
Club Loses Lyon
Club bottoms out just as compromised drafts for GC and GWS kick in
Club chooses Billings over Bont
Club sacks Watters installs Richardson
Club chooses McCartin over Petraccca
Club moves base to Seaford
Club is a useless midfielder for another 4 seasons

Resulting in lots of realists arguing infinitum about a specific topic with irrational optimists (like me) from November to February where we would start arguing about (and not in any order)
Development of players
Gameplan
Coach
Facilities
Administration
Debt
Coffee at Seaford
and sometimes even our parlous state on field.
Somewhat started to change when the admin worked very hard to get us back to Moorabbin in a state of the art training and admin facility. The facility is terrific and is used for AFLW games, the Wellness centre is a great initiative, the training facilities are first class.
Then we started to draft and trade somewhat better. Major missteps like Hannebery were offset by drafting King, then in 2019 plugging some gaping holes by trading for Ryder, Howard, Butler, Jones and Hill, four of whom are still regular senior players (Ryder retired).
Richo resigned and Ratten took over.
The trading was still pretty good with Higgins and Crouch both picked up.

However the optimism really started to pick up with the last three draft and trading periods. Delisted and mid season drafts have been fruitful (Sharman, Caminiti and Wood) while drafting Wanganeen-Milera, Owens, Windhager, Phillipou, Van Es, Hotton, and Keeler followed by trading for Dow and Henry and drafting a gun in Wilson (and some very promising prospects).
This had the realists and the optimists in somewhat of a consensus, we were finally getting our s.hit together both in list management and off field facilities.

But the crown glory was the controversial sacking of Ratten and bringing back Lyon. Great romantic story yeah? Brought back, Harvey, Lenny Hayes, and Goddard as assistant coaches and kept Corey Enright who from my POV is an excellent coach.
I am a pretty regular track watcher, and from the first training session, it was evident how much slicker, organised, intense and professional training had become. And it wasn't just me.

So we had the list going north, the facilities, the footy dept set up with Lyon as head and seemingly a stable and ruthless administration under President Bassett and Lethlean the head kicker from the AFL who thought he was Don Draper but forgot it was the 2010's not the 1960's.

The real cause for optimism was that we were written off, had the second highest injury list after WCE in the league and was the only team to be in the 8 all year apart from Collingwood. Two caveats on this though, I think we caught many teams unawares early on with Lyon's defensive style and the unknowns in the team due to injury. By the second half of the season I think many teams had worked us out and we found the wins ad the way we played more difficult to execute.

Second caveat, was the final we played. GWS absolutely pantsed us, our midfield was annihilated by their matched hardened, big bodied, skillful and quick midfield. Steele had 38 posessions for us but was a lone hand in the mids. We were trouched and it was obvious Lyon knew it. Kept our inexperienced mids in the guts so they got a lesson in football. He knows what we needed, speed and ability. Our mids are one paced and young, PJillipou, Owens, Windhager, Byrnes all finding their feet. Dow and a lesser extent Henry helps with Wilson and outstanding prospect. But many of us are under no illusion where we stand with the big boys in finals after that game. So we know maybe from 2025 onwards we should be a force in the comp.

So this is the history of this board and the reason we all feel a shared hope and optimism. For the first time in over a decade we have a team going north, we are drafting and trading well, we have an excellent coach, and for the first time I can recall, we have a solid and stable admin from the board down, seemingly a good recruitment and drafting team (SoS and Allen have so far done well. An example is Henry cost us a second, draft night we got the second back in live trading with GWS to go back one spot as the player we wanted would still be on the board, so Henry for nothing and we got our player in the draft) and now Dalrymple who seems to have a very good reputation.

But hey you can take all of this with a grain of salt, because as I said at the beginning, I am the eternal and irrational optimist. ;)

Last edited:
Usually off season is insane nutso time on this board due to the fact that since you beat us in the 2011 final up until Lyon came back in the place has been a basket case.
Club Loses Lyon

Resulting in lots of realists arguing infinitum about a specific topic with irrational optimists (like me) from November to February where we would start arguing about (and not in any order)
Development of players
Gameplan
Coach
Facilities
Administration
Debt
Coffee at Seaford
Somewhat started to change when the admin worked very hard to get us back to Moorabbin in a state of the art training and admin facility. The facility is terrific and is used for AFLW games, the Wellness centre is a great initiative, the training facilities are first class.
Then we started to draft and trade somewhat better. Major missteps like Hannebery were offset by drafting King, then in 2019 plugging some gaping holes by trading for Ryder, Howard, Butler, Jones and Hill, four of whom are still regular senior players (Ryder retired).

However the optimism really started to pick up with the last three draft and trading periods. Delisted and mid season drafts have been fruitful (Sharman, Caminiti and Wood) while drafting Wanganeen-Milera, Owens, Windhager, Phillipou, Van Es, Hotton, and Keeler followed by trading for Dow and Henry and drafting a gun in Wilson (and some very promising prospects).
This had the realists and the optimists in somewhat of a consensus, we were finally getting our s.hit together both in list management and off field facilities.

But the crown glory was the controversial sacking of Ratten and bringing back Lyon. Great romantic story yeah? Brought back, Harvey, Lenny Hayes, and Goddard as assistant coaches and kept Corey Enright who from my POV is an excellent coach.
I am a pretty regular track watcher, and from the first training session, it was evident how much slicker, organised, intense and professional training had become. And it wasn't just me.

So we had the list going north, the facilities, the footy dept set up with Lyon as head and seemingly a stable and ruthless administration under President Bassett and Lethlean the head kicker from the AFL who thought he was Don Draper but forgot it was the 2010's not the 1960's.

The real cause for optimism was that we were written off, had the second highest injury list after WCE in the league and was the only team to be in the 8 all year apart from Collingwood. Two caveats on this though, I think we caught many teams unawares early on with Lyon's defensive style and the unknowns in the team due to injury. By the second half of the season I think many teams had worked us out and we found the wins ad the way we played more difficult to execute.

Second caveat, was the final we played. GWS absolutely pantsed us, our midfield was annihilated by their matched hardened, big bodied, skillful and quick midfield. Steele had 38 posessions for us but was a lone hand in the mids. We were trouched and it was obvious Lyon knew it. Kept our inexperienced mids in the guts so they got a lesson in football. He knows what we needed, speed and ability. Our mids are one paced and young, PJillipou, Owens, Windhager, Byrnes all finding their feet. Dow and a lesser extent Henry helps with Wilson and outstanding prospect. But many of us are under no illusion where we stand with the big boys in finals after that game. So we know maybe from 2025 onwards we should be a force in the comp.

So this is the history of this board and the reason we all feel a shared hope and optimism. For the first time in over a decade we have a team going north, we are drafting and trading well, we have an excellent coach, and for the first time I can recall, we have a solid and stable admin from the board down, seemingly a good recruitment and drafting team (SoS and Allen have so far done well. An example is Henry cost us a second, draft night we got the second back in live trading with GWS to go back one spot as the player we wanted would still be on the board, so Henry for nothing and we got our player in the draft) and now Dalrymple who seems to have a very good reputation.

But hey you can take all of this with a grain of salt, because as I said at the beginning, I am the eternal and irrational optimist. ;)

Well done Joffa, great post

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sydney is working out how best to cover the loss of Simon Dalrymple to St Kilda following the departure of Toce, who has garnered interest from multiple clubs in recent weeks.

It's understood the Swans are keen to appoint a recruiter by early February, as new footy boss Leon Cameron gets his feet under the table.

Toce is believed to be on their radar, though if Keane left they would need to hire an additional official too.

Hawthorn's recruiting team may also have at least one additional appointment across the next month, though the club is yet to meet with four-time premiership star Jarryd Roughead, who resigned from St Kilda before Christmas.

Club Loses Lyon

Development of players
Gameplan
Coach
Facilities
Administration
Debt
Coffee at Seaford

An excellent and well written post Joffa, you encapsulated our recent history with aplomb. You are completely right regarding the forum for the first time in years there is an aura of optimism through the club and across the supporter base (forumites). Us fellow Saint supporters dont ask for much - just hope and we currently have that!

Club Loses Lyon

Development of players
Gameplan
Coach
Facilities
Administration
Debt
Coffee at Seaford

This is one of the best summations I have ever seen on this forum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a tidbit for those interested. MOIWYW

My friend is best friends with Roughead’s Wife, oft having dinner drinks etc

Sarah Roughead told my friend that Jarryd was incredibly miserable working under SOS compared with previous setup and would be borderline tears some nights. Said sos would fly off the handle and then not speak to him for a month. I asked further details but feedback was more about how roughy felt.

To see Toce walk as well/get pushed is concerning. I’ll be keeping a very close eye on recruiting/list management under sos 🫣

Sarah Roughead told my friend that Jarryd was incredibly miserable working under SOS compared with previous setup and would be borderline tears some nights. Said sos would fly off the handle and then not speak to him for a month. I asked further details but feedback was more about how roughy felt.

To see Toce walk as well/get pushed is concerning. I’ll be keeping a very close eye on recruiting/list management under sos 🫣
I suspect SOS is a short term place filler.

Sarah needs to learn the art of protecting her husband’s honour by the sound of it 🤐

It’s interesting
RTB was always bringing his own team as he should
But I have never been a fan SOS in the past
In Ross we trust

It’s interesting
RTB was always bringing his own team as he should
But I have never been a fan SOS in the past
In Ross we trust
On one hand there's the benefit of tougher negotiations from which we've already seen the fruits and l can't criticize the drafting this year.
His real detriment was burning high picks on spuds or GOP's and perhaps that's why Dalrymple's portfolio probably entitles him authority over that stuff.
Can but hope it goes well.

Last edited:

2 sides to every story!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back