MRP / Trib. Dan Butler educates the AFL on what a tackle is

Remove this Banner Ad

They owe us a holding the ball decision
Damn right. Cost us a shot on goal at the very, very least; all the Sydney players were streaming forward of the ball assuming the Lizard would break a line and get on the fast break.

They were terribly disorganised when the tackle happened and Pou (from memory) was lurking about ~10m ahead on the 50 ready for one of his long bombs. King most likely one out as well. In a close game it was a big call.

As it happened.

VwM237o.gif

It's not often the Saints win at the tribunal. It's 2 from 2 (I think) this year.

Not often that we win at anything. This year... results, umpiring, drafting....it's unsettling. Like bizarro world.

Not often that we win at anything. This year... results, umpiring, drafting....it's unsettling. Like bizarro world.
Dare I say it…. Even the Free Kick count has improved. 😌

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily cops three!
Very mixed feeling about this. Same as De Goeys which was much worse imo.

So was Pickett's bump which got a week less than Sicily got for a tackle.

I hope the Hawks appeal that suspension if they can, that's just ridiculous.

Sicily cops three!
Very mixed feeling about this. Same as De Goeys which was much worse imo.

It's a bit of a tinfoil-y take but although the language of the decision is only about his tackling action, I think he copped it for the push in the upper back afterwards.

Have a look at the slowed down footage from the side angle. Sicily tackles, McLuggage swings around a bit and is lying on the ground; but his head at that point is almost perpendicular to the ground. Tackle is over; but Sicily then places one hand on the middle of his back and one hand on the upper back / very base of McL's neck and then pushes down pretty hard. McL's head starts to fold down and under him with all the strain and force being on the neck. The vision is tbh horrible and Sicily could have easily broken his neck.

This sort of action has been done hundreds of times before (given an opponent a shove while they are on the ground after htb), but McL's head in this particular instance is in a really strange and vulnerable position, and Sicily doesn't even look at him while shoving him in the upper back.

So was Pickett's bump which got a week less than Sicily got for a tackle.

I hope the Hawks appeal that suspension if they can, that's just ridiculous.
That was a shocker. Flying in both feet off the ground.

Did you mean to sling him in the tackle?

I did my job, I'd do it again...

Did. You. Mean. To. Sling. Him. In the tackle?

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!
Jack Nicholson GIF by Maudit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back