Past Sam Rowe

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's start again.

Rowe is a terrific character and one we'd love around the club beyond this year.
Rowe knows what's in front of him and that by the time he gets back, only the VFL is likely to be calling.
Rowe is 30 years of age and given our re-build, he may not be part of the future.

Put all that together, what would you do?
If Rowe does want to come back, we'll support him.........but have a think about it.

If I was Rowe what would I do?
Well that depends if he can go and get another job at $300k which I'm guessing he can't so I suspect he might like to keep playing.
He knows he is likely not going to be a premiership player but plenty of older types see satisfaction out of fostering kids.
And anyhow who knows what the future holds.
Maybe in 3 years we are in a prelim and a key defender gets injured week before and Rowe has been doing well in VFL.
As I said earlier he will come cheap I reckon and these days clubs see more value than in the last in grey hair so if he wants and the club wants he could well stick around a bit longer.

Keep him. Valuable player that fills so many roles. People talk about keeping Daisy on because of his leadership, I think Rowe would be just as good. In the end I would leave it up to him.

Bingo.

He gets the shitty jobs every week, always puts his hand up, plus the fact he spends 95% of game time on field.

Taken for granted he gets the gorilla every week.

Huge loss.

Last edited:

It's unlikely that he would be able to come back and have an impact until 2019. He'd then have perhaps 2 years in him and be facing a well established backline to break into.

I can't imagine it'd make much sense for either party. Players have to live with these injuries post career.

arnold-schwarzenegger-i-will-be-back-ill-be-back.jpg

They certainly will have the discussion but I think he'll make it.
gee the vultures are out early here. hope that the club does the right thing by him and gives him every opportunity to make it back even if its as a rookie. has given his all to the club and if we are to be a decent club we should reciprocate. Age is not even relevant. Good luck Sammy.

Last edited:
s**t. I feel like I've been punched in the gut.

Can't imagine how he feels.

All the best Sam. I hope you make it back stronger than ever.

Who knows, the time off away from the bash and crash of footy might extend his playing days an extra year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel for Rowe given his contract status.

Hopefully, if he is done due to age/contract, the club looks after him with some sort of development role if that is what he wants.

Wonder if there is player insurance that covers these types of unfortunate events.

Sam doesn't have to go the traditional route to ACL fix he can go the artificial replacement route if he chooses and accelerate his recovery time....see Malchewski's twin ACL knee recons as an example ...very succesful and he was back within 8 weeks.

as for diagnosis (speaking from personal experience) - ACL's can be very difficult to diagnose on the spot because you can still walk and run after popping one if you are still warmed up so to speak - blaming medicos on the day is not fair on them.

All the best Sam - you are a huge out for the Club.

Sam doesn't have to go the traditional route to ACL fix he can go the artificial replacement route if he chooses and accelerate his recovery time....see Malchewski's twin ACL knee recons as an example ...very succesful and he was back within 8 weeks.

as for diagnosis (speaking from personal experience) - ACL's can be very difficult to diagnose on the spot because you can still walk and run after popping one if you are still warmed up so to speak - blaming medicos on the day is not fair on them.

All the best Sam - you are a huge out for the Club.

I still believe he did the ACL on the hyperextension but obviously his knee is quite strong structurally and the medicos couldn't detect it.

They strapped it up and he did run through's so Sam would have made the call that it felt alright. I would be shocked if it went on the second one

Let's start again.

Rowe is a terrific character and one we'd love around the club beyond this year.
Rowe knows what's in front of him and that by the time he gets back, only the VFL is likely to be calling.
Rowe is 30 years of age and given our re-build, he may not be part of the future.

Put all that together, what would you do?
If Rowe does want to come back, we'll support him.........but have a think about it.
Nothing disrespectful there Harks. Carry on.
Rowe's challenges are no different to anyone else with an ACL injury. Harks was being a realist. Doesn't mean Harks was wishing That Sam's recovery is anything other than perfect.
I'm sure we all feel awful for the bloke. I certainly do.

Rowe, mate, I feel for ya. Your dedication and persistence in a cut throat game like AFL is appreciated by this fan. To start footy so late and face challenges like you have and over come them, I wish you all the best and you have my respect big fella. Thankyou for your last 2 year of AFL. You are beacon to all the nay sayers out there that preach talent is the only endearing quality. Determination, dedication and application to task as well as a proven ability to do a much need role within our club.

Good luck mate!

Big loss but like every injury it gives a chance for someone else to step up. From memory this exact scenario happened when jamo went down and Rowe was discovered as a backman, a cruel irony but maybe a chance for a rebirth for someone like jones, KJ etc.

If I was Rowe what would I do?
Well that depends if he can go and get another job at $300k which I'm guessing he can't so I suspect he might like to keep playing.
He knows he is likely not going to be a premiership player but plenty of older types see satisfaction out of fostering kids.
And anyhow who knows what the future holds.
Maybe in 3 years we are in a prelim and a key defender gets injured week before and Rowe has been doing well in VFL.
As I said earlier he will come cheap I reckon and these days clubs see more value than in the last in grey hair so if he wants and the club wants he could well stick around a bit longer.

You see, this is where I respect Rowe as I think like Kreuzer, he'd do what is deemed to be best for the club and not simply for self.

I'm simply joining the dots that take me to this outcome and if Rowe and the club want to go on, they have my full support.......I love Rowey. xxx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back