Smoking

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Alright guys, I type this thread as I sit outside on the tail-end of a nasty winter cold puffing down my second cigarette of the day. This being my second winter cold of 2017, the last resulting in a chest infection and severe asthma attack sending me to the hospital for a night. That episode had me realise I need to quit, and take my asthma more seriously, but obviously I haven't and don't.

Now knowing the possible consequences of smoking with asthma and the cold, I was a bit more mindful this time around, I didn't smoke at all on the peak day of illness, had 1 yesterday, now 2 today... now, sitting here wondering if I'll fall victim to another spell of bronchitis - it's got me thinking about the historical enigma that is smoking cigarettes.

I'm in my early 20s, it's been probably about that many years since the government began rolling in a light-prohibition on cigs.. I think I was alive when cricket had a brand of cigarettes as a sponsor, but don't remember... I do know, however, that the majority of people I see that smoke are of a similar age to me, it seems smoking is still prevelant in young people possibly as a form of pseudo-protest against the government, our parents and being told what to do...

Though I can't help but wonder right now why myself of all people got the smoking bug, when neither of my parents did...

My first brush with smoking must've been when I was 11 years old - I was over at a friends house after school and his parents weren't home, he smuggled out his mum's carton and we smoked a cigarette each on his couch. They must have been golds because I remember thinking that I didn't feel a thing.
The next day we bragged about it at school, and a girl in the year above claimed not to believe us and said she would steal a pack off her mum and watch us smoke it to prove ourselves - which we did..

6 years later I was 16 turning 17 and was at some guy's birthday party which for some reason was at a rented out Zumba studio. I had just made out with a girl for the first time in my life, and a cool kid, Leah asked me if I smoked, I replied in the affirmative (a lie) so he gave me a cig, having overestimated my abilities, I stood outside that Zumba studio coughing and gagging and swallowing my own vomit.

Not even a year after that I started dating the girl that I'm still with to this day - the first night we spent together I got my first nicotine rush and vomited up a mixture of that and red wine in her toilet. I've smoked rolled Champion Ruby almost every day since.

So, do you smoke? Did you used to? How'd you get hooked? How'd you quit? (Bonus points if you're an asthmatic)

57 years old and had one cigarette in my life, when I was around 12 years old, my brother and I stole a couple of dads cigs and went down the street and were half way through smoking them when dad caught us. He dragged us home gave us a flogging and made us smoke the rest of the cigarette but with the full inhale this time, made us sick. My brother and I have never touched another smoke since.

I can not understand why people take up smoking these days, it must be the slow kill that lulls people into a false sense of invulnerability.

If your in a certain (popular) crowd your pretty likely to do it. No one thinks about it too much, not seen as that bad or a real issue when young.

At my school kids started getting around it young, around year 8. Such a stupid thing but the school battles against it.

I've always been very aware of the potential Long-term effects. They are potentially disastrous, if you get addicted it's a disaster. Financially, health reasons can be devastating. Will be interested growing up seeing who gets addicted as adults.

Only ever have a couple sometimes when I head out with friends, so maybe 2 or 3 a month. Each time I do it I have to idea why! Tastes awfuls, wake up with clothes smelling awful.

I was a social smoker from 19 to 21, but even then wasn't so often, but I lived in Europe for nearly a year and was smoking pretty much habitually since I was partying a lot and cigs were cheap. Then I came back, realised how much it was affecting my health and quit cold turkey when I started getting serious in my kickboxing. I found out quick that I didn't really need it, quitting was quite easy for me tbh. I haven't touched cigarettes since.

Never smoked full time but used to quite a bit when drinking. Might have 10 or 12 on a night out.

Never felt like it when not drinking.

Haven't at all for a few years now. Not sure why, tbh I think it's mainly because a lot fewer people seem to smoke so I'm not really around it and don't get the urge. Not sure if that's my age or an overall trend, probably a bit of both Guess I binge drink a fair bit less now too.

Smoked for about 19 or 20 years
Read the carr book and quit the first time reading it and listening to the ten minute cd
Tried patches half a dozen times, gum, cold turkey, you name it....apart from vape
Failed each time
Had the last one at around 10.30am on a Tues very early March last year, went to work and theres quite a few that smoked and I didn't cave.....after that I knew I'd be fine
Never even had one drag since.
Stupid habit
Once i realized I was actually smoking to put my body back in to the state of being of a non smoker it just clicked, like a light flicking on

Will power most def comes in to it for the first week or 9 odd days but tbh it wasn't that hard and the book basically just reprogrammed my thinking.

That then eventually lead me to then start thinking about what I eat, so this year was all about food and diet...which has then linked in to some weights
Just remember you're never too old and its never too late you just need the will to want to do it
So those who want to really quit....shut the * up with the excuses and have a decent crack
:)

Never had a cigarette, cigars on the other hand...

Had my first at about 10-11, took it up at 18 when I started uni. Smoked mostly Winny sky blue but soon enough that turned into Drum Blue just because rollies were cheaper. Smoked full on for 6-7 years, started to cut back when I met my wife and she got pregnant. Smoke socially now, buy the odd pack. I don't see the problem with doing it occasionally.

Had my first at about 10-11, took it up at 18 when I started uni. Smoked mostly Winny sky blue but soon enough that turned into Drum Blue just because rollies were cheaper. Smoked full on for 6-7 years, started to cut back when I met my wife and she got pregnant. Smoke socially now, buy the odd pack. I don't see the problem with doing it occasionally.
http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/smokers-lungs-pictures.html

non%20smoker%20lungs%20vs%20smoker%20lungs.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have smoked on and off since 15. Have never really been a heavy smoker, never smoked more than 5-10 a day. I don't have an addictive personality which has made it easier for me to never get really hooked. I haven't smoked regularly for five years now, although I did buy a pack when I was in Russia recently, just because they are so damn cheap over there. A couple of dollars a pack. Stopped again once I got to Australia as smoking and Crossfit aren't really compatible.

I'm not a doctor but I very much doubt the ones on the right belong to a '**** it, I'll buy a pack and that will do me for a few months' smoker.
Maybe, in my experience anecdotally genetics must come into it quite a bit, I know 2 people who are smokers and have lived well into their 80s and do not have cancer and are reasonably healthy, on the other hand a woman I knew died at 54 from smoking related cancer, she smoked roughly half a packet a day.

Went cold turkey after the Adelaide test. Haven't touched one since. Working in a few bars doesn't help but I have proven to myself that I could do it cold turkey.

Smoked 8 or 9 years, don't regret had fun and decided it was time.

Smoked from 17-20 and gave up without a flinch the night before my 21st. Have maybe had a handful since then. When it was legal in licensed premises you would wake up the next day and your clothes would stink, your hair and your skin. I feel for people behind the bar in those tiimes.

If you're smoking to rebel against the government keep in mind the billions they earn in tax from cigarettes. If you're smoking to rebel against your parents you're a pussy, at least do something illegal like meth or stab a homeless kid.

Only smoke socially. Don't mind a dabble in a dart or a shisha pipe occassionally.

Did the e cigarette thing a few years ago for a bit.

Smoking is too expensive to be a regular habit on this country. You are much better to move to a country like Germany let alone a second/third world country if you want to continue doing it as a regular habit.

Can enhance the hangover when on the turps.

I smoked a packet a day from the ages of 14-24. I quit cold turkey when one of my close girlfriends got pregnant because I didn't want to smoke around her or the baby. I'm an asthmatic and I'd previously smoked through bouts of pneumonia. It's a shame that it took someone else's health for me to consider quitting rather than just doing it for myself.

I really enjoyed smoking and I still miss it.

smoked since i was 18. given up a few times only to go back

didn't smoke most of last year, bummed a smoke off a mate on a night out and that was the end, back on them

helps having a contact for cheap smokes. couldn't justify spending several hundred a month on them anymore

I loathe smoking/have no empathy towards smokers , in much the same way that many other people seem to hate veganism/have little empathy towards vegans.
yeah, but it's totally reasonable not to pity smokers...
having no empathy towards vegans because of their veganism is pretty stupid imo.... but being annoyed by their outspoken holier than thou outlook on life is a different story. my mum is a vegan purely because she's a massive empath, which I find pretty admirable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back