Toast Cats Say No To Bookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong people are still part of society where it is prolific despite this decision.

Geelong people still watch sport on TV. Saturation.

Geelong people still use the internet. Click click.

Geelong people attend matches at Etihad and the MCG (at least).

It's everywhere. This changes nothing.

I clearly outlined above an example where I could see this could make a tangible difference.

I understand you don't agree. But to suggest that 'it changes nothing' at the GFC (or for even one of its committed and impressionable supporters) is not the veritable certainty that you claim it to be.

I clearly outlined above an example where I could see this could make a tangible difference.

I understand you don't agree. But to suggest that 'it changes nothing' at the GFC (or for even one of its committed and impressionable supporters) is not the veritable certainty that you claim it to be.
Ok, you've won me over. A hypothetical TV, radio and newspaper shunning, no other sport following, never leaving Geelong, never using the internet person might just have their life saved by this...

...if they didn't already have the most boring life not worth living to begin with.

Ok, you've won me over. A hypothetical TV, radio and newspaper shunning, no other sport following, never leaving Geelong, never using the internet person might just have their life saved by this...

...if they didn't already have the most boring life not worth living to begin with.
I see your point but I can still see how it can make a difference. A lot of young kids (& some cheer squad types) are absolutely obsessed with their footy club to the point where it's the main source of happiness in their life.
These kids if they see their club is against gambling could be really influenced by that and could make a difference later on.
Sort of how Maccas gets kids early to create customers for life but in reverse.
When I was younger horse racing and pokies bored the s**t out of me but if sports betting was as popular then as it is now I could of really got into it cause I was interested in footy.

I see your point but I can still see how it can make a difference. A lot of young kids (& some cheer squad types) are absolutely obsessed with their footy club to the point where it's the main source of happiness in their life.
These kids if they see their club is against gambling could be really influenced by that and could make a difference later on.
Sort of how Maccas gets kids early to create customers for life but in reverse.
When I was younger horse racing and pokies bored the s**t out of me but if sports betting was as popular then as it is now I could of really got into it cause I was interested in footy.
I don't disagree that:

1. Gambling advertising attracts gamblers
2. Some gamblers are problem gamblers
3. Problem gambling is a problem

However I don't think Geelong should be lauded as a saviour given the role and proliferation of gambling in our society and given that the club still owns pokies (i.e. hypocritical). If we are serious about stopping problem gambling there are meaningful things that policymakers can do to reduce harms. I support these. You might also get some meaningful change if the AFL itself said no more gambling advertising during games (as part of the broadcast deal), or at any AFL venue, on the AFL website, in the AFL Record, etc. That is a macro enough measure that it could put a meaningful dent in things. It's also big enough that other sporting bodies might follow suit, magnifying the impact. That would be great.

Let's just see this for what it is though - an imperceptible zephyr in the face of a cyclone coming in the other direction.

Anyway, I'm off to the punting thread. :)

I don't disagree that:

1. Gambling advertising attracts gamblers
2. Some gamblers are problem gamblers
3. Problem gambling is a problem

However I don't think Geelong should be lauded as a saviour given the role and proliferation of gambling in our society and given that the club still owns pokies (i.e. hypocritical). If we are serious about stopping problem gambling there are meaningful things that policymakers can do to reduce harms. I support these. You might also get some meaningful change if the AFL itself said no more gambling advertising during games (as part of the broadcast deal), or at any AFL venue, on the AFL website, in the AFL Record, etc. That is a macro enough measure that it could put a meaningful dent in things. It's also big enough that other sporting bodies might follow suit, magnifying the impact. That would be great.

Let's just see this for what it is though - an imperceptible zephyr in the face of a cyclone coming in the other direction.

Anyway, I'm off to the punting thread. :)
I agree on what you're saying too. I never meant to say the clubs were saviours or not being hypocritical. But it's all just one step at a time and you gotta start somewhere.
Make sure you get Parsons most goals on the punt! Gotta feeling he's gonna kick 5.

Geelong people are still part of society where it is prolific despite this decision.

Geelong people still watch sport on TV. Saturation.

Geelong people still use the internet. Click click.

Geelong people attend matches at Etihad and the MCG (at least).

It's everywhere. This changes nothing.
Remember the teachings of Laozi -: "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

If I didn't recycle, in the grand scheme of things would it make much of a difference? No. Ok then, **** it I won't recycle anymore. That's the attitude to have! :rolleyes:

If I didn't recycle, in the grand scheme of things would it make much of a difference? No. Ok then, **** it I won't recycle anymore. That's the attitude to have! :rolleyes:
Come on, you can come up with a worse analogy. I know you can! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who's happy to throw a few bucks in the pokies let me tell you I'd rather see some money going to the club than the pubs down the road.
That's absolutely spot on.
If the club makes the deal that the licences can't go elsewhere then great. But if they actually sell them then they've done nothing.

The cash just goes to someone with no community care.

Very good decision adults can make decisions on what they want to do with their money and life. But hearing very young children talk about odds at the footy is heartbreaking.

Come on, you can come up with a worse analogy. I know you can! :D
"Those Germans are everywhere, why do we need to send support to the Poms? Let's just leave Europe to the Bosh." Franklin D Roosevelt 1938

I have to say I was amazed at the amount of betting advertisements I saw when I was in Oz recently....mostly but not all on AFL shows. It was little short of saturation advertising.

Well done to the Cats hierarchy for stepping back from what is already over-the-top exposure to gambling options.

I for one fully support (and am proud of) the Club's decision re Gambling advertising. The dissenting views here are right - our club's stand probably won't make a difference in the big scheme, but at least we won't be financially benefiting from this scourge.

I must also have missed the bit where the club told the AFL to hold back our share of the AFL's gambling income.
We do not get a share of the AFL's gambling income, we do get a share of the AFL's general revenue. If you are so concerned you could contact the AFL and demand they stop receiving money from gambling, I would support you. A bit of sour grapes there:'(

We do not get a share of the AFL's gambling income, we do get a share of the AFL's general revenue.

I'll be polite, here.
You can't be effing serious.

If you are so concerned you could contact the AFL and demand they stop receiving money from gambling, I would support you. A bit of sour grapes there:'(

I've made it perfectly clear that I'm not concerned, I merely think it's tokenistic bs on the part of the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back