Toast Cats Say No To Bookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to see the club taking a proactive stance on sports betting, by not taking potential sponsorship dollars from betting companies.

www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/geelong/geelong-cats-sign-victorian-responsible-gambling-foundation-pledge-to-stop-gaming-sponsorship/news-story/2415886392df66dae730f7ef742e69b5

"THE Geelong Cats have pledged to say no to gambling sponsorship, turning away lucrative future deals for the sake of their most vulnerable fans.

Simonds Stadium is already a pokies-free zone, and the club has now promised to forego sponsorship from betting companies, in an effort to battle the normalisation of sports betting and to protect their young supporters from addiction.

Geelong Football Club chief executive Brian Cook joined State Gaming and Liquor Regulation Minister Marlene Kairouz and Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation chief executive Louise Glanville at the Cats’ home ground Thursday afternoon to sign the pledge.

Mr Cook said the club would “continue to work toward a gambling-free environment”.

“There is a large amount of gambling advertising around AFL matches, ideally we want our fans to be able to come along to our games and enjoy it without the odds,” he said.

“It’s not appropriate for this audience, particularly for children of a young age.”"

This coupled with our stated aim of getting rid of the clubs poker machines are great community based initiatives.

I like this part of the article: The Geelong Football Club has also announced there will be a complete prohibition of gambling advertising displayed at Simonds Stadium’s LED signage once the current contract expires in 2020.

Completely unnecessary to have gambling advertising during games

Yawn... I don't need my footy club to bow to political whims when it suits. Or promote whatever cause they're PR is preaching this month. Still own and generate pokies revenue from establishments so it's all a bit of a wank really.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Yawn... I don't need my footy club to bow to political whims when it suits. Or promote whatever cause they're PR is preaching this month. Still own and generate pokies revenue from establishments so it's all a bit of a wank really.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk
Not when they are getting rid of the pokies as well

Not when they are getting rid of the pokies as well
They've been saying that for a few years, have to believe it when we see it.
I'm happy with this decision. I don't really like kids thinking of the match in terms of odds and how much they'd put on it etc.
They can't really escape it when the odds are getting shown all around the ground like at the G.
For a club that doesn't really give much back to the community at all at least this is a positive step and then hopefully pokies very soon.

Very happy. As a father with young kids I see how it effects them. Whenever I watched a game of footy my kids used to walk around saying "multi bet" in that weird voice. I'd like my kids to enjoy sport and not be getting an "education" on what is a good bet. Oh and * you Nathan Brown, you're the worst offender.

Don't disagree. But getting both of these sources of a fair amount of human misery out of their very public association with sport suits me just fine.
It's symbolic at best. It won't remove any human misery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'll be proven wrong one life at a time, repeatedly. Kids don't need this scourge fed to them.
You might be right. But I'm right about the effect of Geelong boycotting gambling advertising. Will have zero direct impact.

As someone who's happy to throw a few bucks in the pokies let me tell you I'd rather see some money going to the club than the pubs down the road.
Take your point but I think pokies are a bit different because it's a physical thing if you take them away there are some people who won't bother going down the road.

With online gambling it's everywhere. Unless you regulate availability some how it will always be available in both non-harmful and harmful quantities.

You might be right. But I'm right about the effect of Geelong boycotting gambling advertising. Will have zero direct impact.

You can't possible know that. It's actually quite feasible that someone who loves the Cats could be seduced into seeing that something the club gives support and exposure to is attractive and worthwhile. If the club exits the market, that person can now receive better messaging about the perils of gambling without having their emotional support for the footy club leveraged simply to line the pockets of the gambling companies.

One live preserved from the debilitation of gambling addiction potentially leads to a whole family retaining their accommodation and their livelihood that could have been easily lost if that same person had started on the road to addiction simply by 'throwing a few casual bets on' as a result of advertising around the ground at KP whilst watching their beloved Cats.

Like you say, people can get their gambling fix in so many ways these days. Having sport beholden to the gambling industry as well is a step too far for me.

Geelong is not. At least not to the same degree.
Geelong people are still part of society where it is prolific despite this decision.

Geelong people still watch sport on TV. Saturation.

Geelong people still use the internet. Click click.

Geelong people attend matches at Etihad and the MCG (at least).

It's everywhere. This changes nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back