Analysis The Temple of Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not as slow as some it seems

He's deceptively quick with his long loping stride and can break the lines with his run and carry.

On top of that he is one of our few midfielders that has height and can provide a marking target.

That's why it would be extremely frustrating if he packs his bags and leaves for another club that can give him more opportunities.

He's deceptively quick with his long loping stride and can break the lines with his run and carry.

On top of that he is one of our few midfielders that has height and can provide a marking target.

That's why it would be extremely frustrating if he packs his bags and leaves for another club that can give him more opportunities.

And...he is our most accurate goal kicker to date (excluding Battle who is 100%!)

I'm starting to get seriously worried this guy is gonna sooner or later say cya later I'm off to Perth, where he'll have a huge career at West Coast or Freo and become an absolute superstar. He's not getting a game when he should be ahead of blokes that don't deserve to be playing, and when he is in the side he's played completely out of position. Ridiculous. Just look at his second half of 2016, was just about our best player. Get him back in the side FFS

I'm starting to get seriously worried this guy is gonna sooner or later say cya later I'm off to Perth, where he'll have a huge career at West Coast or Freo and become an absolute superstar. He's not getting a game when he should be ahead of blokes that don't deserve to be playing, and when he is in the side he's played completely out of position. Ridiculous. Just look at his second half of 2016, was just about our best player. Get him back in the side FFS
Where would you play him?

Needs to play in the guts IMO.

He's shown he can win good clearances when he's been thrown in the middle as he can break tackles and weave through traffic, needs to go in there more.

Blake has hardly had a run in the middle this year. More likely to see Gresh in there.

If we bring Dunstan in which knowing Richo he will, that leaves Stuv, Ross, Koby, Steele, Dunstan who will be ahead of Blake in there. Hard to see him having much of a play unless Luke doesn't get picked.

R2...17 disp 64.7% eff 3 inside 50 1 goal 62% tog.
R3...17 disp 82.4% eff 3 inside 50 1 goal 68% tog.
R4...21 disp 81% eff 4 inside 50 1 goal 70% tog.
R5...18 disp 100% eff 2 inside 50 1 goal 81% tog.
R6...23 disp 87% eff 4 inside 50 no snags 82% tog.
R7...23 disp 73.9% eff 4 inside 50 2 goals 78% tog. ( 3 stoppage clearances against gws)
R8...21 disp 76.2% eff 3 inside 50 no snags 84% tog.
R9...27 disp 66.7% eff 7 inside 50 1 sausage 93% tog. (This was the swans flogging and he still added 4 stoppage clearances and 5 tackles)
R10...22 disp 72.7% eff 2 inside 50 no snags 83% tog plus 6 tackles.
R12....15 disp 73.3% eff 3 inside 50s 2 behinds 82% tog. Crow flogging
R13...18 disp 83.3% eff 2 inside 50 1 goal 73% tog.
R14...8 disp 37.5% eff 2 inside 50 no snags 65% tog. Had a bad one here against the Suns.

Dropped.
Fmd
If that's not something to build on for a bloke that's being tried in a possie he doesn't excel in they I don't know what is.

Averages just over 2 clangers a game

When you look at those stats you wonder why he was dropped , basically one bad game .

Would be nice to see him get to 30 sometimes but bit hard if you are playing half forward although we have seen others do it .

Last edited:
When did he do this? Just can't remember seeing Blake with too many center clearances.

One in particular last season showed what he can do if he is given the chance in the middle. In the game against Hawthorn he just put the ball under his arm and burst through the pack, kicked it long and hit Roo smack on the chest. He's done similar a few other times but this was poetry in motion and showed just what he is capable of.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would you play him?

Remember that play against Brisbane in r23 last year where Holmes did a brilliant tap down, Acres ran on to it, brushed a tackle, accelerated, then booted to long to Roo, who to took a mark in the goal square with the ball drop frickin' _in front of him_ from Acres' kick? Play him in whatever position that is.

Haha ok sorry, hat tip to BangersAndMash who posted the same thing literally in front mine. I didn't even see it, I swear...

Yep, here you go!

Well....maybe it was just once + the blind turn run!

F*** I love watching that video #GOAT

Those casual 360 shrug offs he does while gliding through traffic are amazing! And while he can at times be a very scrappy kick, as shown in the video he is a good kick inside 50. Hope he has a great game tomorrow night, just need to persevere with him and get him to that 50+ game mark.

Some gifs of GOAT Acres

ncwuiX1tHizp-45MAm1qdRBqdljlaQAnWv6C_Wn5m9um1VnPHcya8qdHdRITJNN2N3JzQJNw=w370-h175-nc

d-QyMRd2HgMkhYYwx0diNZxnHxPIpLb1KKep6sWHPgcNkLoqw20Gcei0aQ6FFCViTMx8n_sd=w447-h329-nc

l8v2kPvhrXK5_Q0ygE5aGgURQn3iiWdAsQ5yp2pHpHnDyMXBRQ_oGCHDcFBRt6GxQCBZPU5Z_4__f2AGy6AnCr-bxO6EPO51r3OWsrpmz1m5BqAYB67Np2mdRDuh0g=w450-h327-nc

Yikes, you look at those highlights, he has the potential to just be such a complete player.

And he will be. He's 21. Give him another couple of seasons and BANG!

And he will be. He's 21. Give him another couple of seasons and BANG!
In that sense, he reminds me SO much of Beejay. Goddard was that "in-betweener" for a long while, who was kinda okayish in a variety of spots, but nobody could quite figure out where he best fit: was he a winger? an inside mid? a third-tall? a quarter-back? But once he matured, he was just a beast at all of those roles, and we had this complete allrounder, who could win clearance one minute, then be rebounding off the backline the next, then streaming down the wing, then would be taking a mark and slotting a goal in the forwardline.

Like Goddard, and like you said, it's just going to take time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back