Video Highlights Welcome To The Jungle

Remove this Banner Ad

Take a look at this it’s amazing ❤️🤍🖤

Thanks for the post. Great stuff. Need to watch it in slomo. Fk it makes me feel old when I realise I was at 90% of those games. No BS.

You have to be quick to pick it up but the one where Plugger threw an elbow back into Guy McKenna's head was the one I cried most about at the time. It was 1989 and that year was easily the most ripped Plugger ever looked and he was playing in sensational fashion. 70 goals up in the first 9 rounds. The 150 goals season record was his for the taking if he'd played a whole year.

Trouble was during his 4 week suspension I think he must've trained on beer and pies. He came back looking like the guy who'd eaten Tony Lockett! Played two more games, got injured and was done for the season. What a waste.

He was stiff because he had his back to McKenna who was hanging on to him. If McKenna hadn't been a short sh.it Plugger's elbow would've hit him in the chest. As it was, it knocked him into fairy land.

Anyway thanks for the post. Great memories.

How good was Winmar
Fmd
I've followed the Saints for 60 years and only saw Baldock as a little kid but I've no hesitation in saying the best 4 Saints I've seen are Harvey, Plugger, Rooey and Baldock. No particular order.

But equally I reckon Winmar was the most skilful I've seen pull on a Saints jumper. Freakish goals with either foot. Passes lace out to Plugger with either foot. Ability to kick 60 metre barrels. A candidate for mark of the year nearly every week. Electric pace over the first 20 metres. A great tackler considering he was a skinny fella. He could handball 20 metres and he had that indigenous ability of controlling the ball on the ground without picking it up. In short there was nothing he couldn't do.

Just a pity it got tarnished a bit with all the racial crap he had to put up with and the understandable effect it had on some of his games where it all got too much for him.

Without that he'd be pushing the other guys for one of those top 4 spots in my opinion. Not far off anyway.

He's stayed a true loyal Saint since his retirement which only adds to his appeal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back