Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

That would come as quite a shock to his mob, especially his grandmother.

Born on Ukerebagh Island near the NSW-Queensland border, Bonner was the son of an Indigenous Australian mother and an English immigrant father. His grandmother, who belonged to the Ugarapul people, played a crucial role in raising him after his mother's death.

And this:

Indigenous kids that may get drafted this year. (2015)

Callum Ah Chee W.A. Born 9/10/97, 182 cm, 71 kg, Fwd/mid
John Shaw, W.A. 8/7/97 177, 75. mid.
Wayne Milera S.A. 14/9/97, 185, 75, Mid/Fwd
Riley Bonner. S.A. 7/9/97. 191, 80, Fwd/Def.
Kieran Agius, S.A. 1/10/97. 187. 84, Fwd
Really , he would be a bit old now

And too slow. Wouldn't get a game in RTB's best 23.
Getting back to Lance Collard, I have just finished reading Nicky Winmar's 'My Story' (with Matthew Hardy) where he writes about the players from the Pingelly Tigers, an all-aboriginal team where Nicky's dad Neal played. The Tigers were created in 1967 in response to a Great Southern League rule that only allowed three aboriginal players per team.

"The players from that Tigers team were Ausssie Rules royalty, going by the names Jetta, Hill, Abraham, Narkle, Ugle, Sampi, Kickett, Bennell and many others, including the Collards, who were famous in Western Australia, and of course Winmar. Many descendants of these pioneers have played for numerous AFL teams, leaving an immesurable legacy to the game."

I am certain we all hope young Lance Collard can continue that tradition with St Kilda along with Brad Hill and as Phil Narkle and Dale Kickett did.

Also, I recommend 'My Story' - a great read - sad, depressing and optimistic.

Getting back to Lance Collard, I have just finished reading Nicky Winmar's 'My Story' (with Matthew Hardy) where he writes about the players from the Pingelly Tigers, an all-aboriginal team where Nicky's dad Neal played. The Tigers were created in 1967 in response to a Great Southern League rule that only allowed three aboriginal players per team.

"The players from that Tigers team were Ausssie Rules royalty, going by the names Jetta, Hill, Abraham, Narkle, Ugle, Sampi, Kickett, Bennell and many others, including the Collards, who were famous in Western Australia, and of course Winmar. Many descendants of these pioneers have played for numerous AFL teams, leaving an immesurable legacy to the game."

I am certain we all hope young Lance Collard can continue that tradition with St Kilda along with Brad Hill and as Phil Narkle and Dale Kickett did.

A wet chilly day in the caravan park in Bright yesterday gave me the chance to start Nicky’s book.

Couldn’t put it down & read it in one sitting.

A great read… agree with your sentiments (sad, depressing, optimistic).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A wet chilly day in the caravan park in Bright yesterday gave me the chance to start Nicky’s book.

I was in Bright a couple of days ago. Stayed a couple of days in Harrietville. Pretty nice up there in summer usually.

Also reading the book - it a good read - but yes - sad, depressing, optimistic

I was also increasingly hopeful of Collard's future after having read the above section regarding his family

I was in Bright a couple of days ago. Stayed a couple of days in Harrietville. Pretty nice up there in summer usually.

We’ve been coming up here for close to a decade now… last year though as our son will most likely be playing rep cricket during Jan next year.

We absolutely love it here but its time for something different.

Hope you grabbed a vanilla slice in Harrietville… there’s none better.

We’ve been coming up here for close to a decade now… last year though as our son will most likely be playing rep cricket during Jan next year.

Beautiful country down that way

You must be kidding about Kickett , he couldn't settle in Melbourne and lasted One year with us , hardly a tradition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was in Mansfield the other week and the snot blocks were massive , at a guess 70mm high

Walhalla is nice too, Feels like you are in another world

Wow, that was such a terrible movie l can't wait to see the sequel.
I gots plenty of family buried in that old town and me old man helped rebuild the railway with stories that would make an OH&S campaigner faint.
I need to go back there actually.

Is Lance related to Clayton Collard? He was drafted by Freo I think but didn't fair too well.

I also think there must be a Mandela Effect with Bonner being indigenous, because I swear I saw him in a photoshoot with all the other indigenous boys!

I gots plenty of family buried in that old town and me old man helped rebuild the railway with stories that would make an OH&S campaigner faint.
I went on the train when i was up there , i can imagine the injuries

Walhalla is nice too, Feels like you are in another world

It's just up the hill from me. It's a nice place, there is a random pizza place that is just down the road at Jacob Creek that is only open on weekends. Hand made wood fired pizza and cold Morettis looking out over the hills, great spot for lunch. Looks like some dude blew his super making a random business but glad it's there.

Yeah I could have sworn he was indigenous but no idea what evidence I’d seen for that

I think it's the name and he's quite tanned usually. Neville Bonner was an indigenous politician and it's a name that is synonymous because of that maybe.

My family were Gippsland farmers and one of the aunts has the old leader books from when they sold goods to Walhalla. They were getting rich off the miners up there. When it the gold dried up it hit them.

You must be kidding about Kickett , he couldn't settle in Melbourne and lasted One year with us , hardly a tradition
Winmar writes "That summer [1991-92] also saw the Saints recruit a member or the renowned Indigenous 'footy-legacy' family: Dale Kickett...He played the 1992 season at the Saints, before returning to Claremont...What a season he had with us though. Twenty-one games for 20 goals was a classy contribution..."

Kickett played 181 AFL games across 5 clubs.

Winmar writes "That summer [1991-92] also saw the Saints recruit a member or the renowned Indigenous 'footy-legacy' family: Dale Kickett...He played the 1992 season at the Saints, before returning to Claremont...What a season he had with us though. Twenty-one games for 20 goals was a classy contribution..."

Kickett played 181 AFL games across 5 clubs.
Yes i know all about him but i don't see what your point is , we are talking about Collard and hoping he doesn't get home sick ect , Kickett is a perfect example of a bloke that did get home sick so we don't want Lance being anything like Kickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back