Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - HUGO GARCIA!

Remove this Banner Ad

Can any of the draft watchers tell us why Garcia barely featured in any mock drafts or draft rankings?

It seems the saints rated him highly. I think it was stated that we had Schoenmaker in the second round.. and we obviously had GArcia ahead of him

Can any of the draft watchers tell us why Garcia barely featured in any mock drafts or draft rankings?

It seems the saints rated him highly. I think it was stated that we had Schoenmaker in the second round.. and we obviously had GArcia ahead of him
There were a lot of half forward/mid types in this draft. Probably just wasn't rated as highly as the others.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

His production looks quite good, as well as his size and athleticism. Unfortunately for some players, they get pushed out of the Country or Metro Champs teams and don't have the visibility of others.

In saying that, I'm not sure what quality Calder players there were this year, and who were their man guys that played representative football. Injury in the back half of the year makes an impact also, with no combine testing etc.

There were a lot of half forward/mid types in this draft. Probably just wasn't rated as highly as the others.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hugo was injured & missed the draft combine testing.
Similar situation with Cooper Simpson being injured during the championship games, would’ve been drafted much earlier.
Garcia will debut next year, very confident of that!

He spent a some of the year injured and missed all the state league stuff, and seemed to play more school footy than he did for the Cannons.

He spent a some of the year injured and missed all the state league stuff, and seemed to play more school footy than he did for the Cannons.
Wasn’t selected for Vic Metro so similar to someone like a Charlie Edwards for exposure .

Played 11 of Calder Cannons 14 games for the season so don’t think injury or playing for Assumption was an issue .

Think the positional change in second half of Coates league season helped when playing more midfield minutes rather than half forward .

Has some great athletic traits and his highlights package looked fantastic but AGSV football is a poor standard of football.

But personally reckon Toce has a good eye for talent so hopefully he has found one .

Hugo got the attention of one of our recruiters this year, he really liked his attributes and fit the criteria the boss is looking for.
Chris Toce also liked him & the rest is history!

Hugo got the attention of one of our recruiters this year, he really liked his attributes and fit the criteria the boss is looking for.
Chris Toce also liked him & the rest is history!

He gives real Bont vibes. Obviously at a much lower level but those guys often rise to the level they are playing at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kudos, Hugo

Hugo Garcia was only planned to pull on the boots for the Saints if any of his teammates ended up injured, however Marcus Windhager’s early injury - although disappointing - opened the door for him to flourish.

The first-year midfielder had immediate impact after coming into the mix in the opening term, lining up for 10 centre bounces alongside skipper Jack Steele, Mattaes Phillipou and Seb Ross.

TR230224DB1678.jpg

Despite his relative inexperience, the zippy on-baller didn’t look at all out of place, providing multiple moments of dash and sharp hand skills - plus a lively goal to boot - to entertain the onlooking faithful.

With the likes of Paddy Dow, Hunter Clark and Zak Jones currently on the sidelines, Garcia’s name could well now be in the options for the Saints’ line-up come Round 1.

Noticed he played on a man but was confident enough to leave his player when the ball was loose. Had a run on Parish and swapped to what looked like Redman at one point. He's got something about him. He played like Bont in his highlight videos. Looks alpha.

15 min mark of 3rd quarter- Doogs loops a handball into traffic- he never takes his eyes off it, grabs it, looks to kick corridor, no options. Has a cheap handball option in Nas but sees Membrey out of the corner of his eye and fashions a kick to the wing, all whilst three opponents bearing down on him. A small thing, but his poise is really impressive. Hard as a cat's head to boot. Think we've got a player here

15 min mark of 3rd quarter- Doogs loops a handball into traffic- he never takes his eyes off it, grabs it, looks to kick corridor, no options. Has a cheap handball option in Nas but sees Membrey out of the corner of his eye and fashions a kick to the wing, all whilst three opponents bearing down on him. A small thing, but his poise is really impressive. Hard as a cat's head to boot. Think we've got a player here
Ha ha. Thought for a minute you meant Doogs has great poise. Was going to ask you to put the bottle down.

Can feel it in my waters…cult following for Hugo!!

Noticed he played on a man but was confident enough to leave his player when the ball was loose. Had a run on Parish and swapped to what looked like Redman at one point. He's got something about him. He played like Bont in his highlight videos. Looks alpha.
I see Jack Crisp

Wayne Hughes is the scout that highly recommended Hugo to Toce…ironically both are no longer at the club!

This troubles me. If we decline in our talent ID in future, let's remember to hold the current decision makers accountable.

Likewise, if we improve our ID then the pats on the back can start. It's a big call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back