Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair. I think plenty have gone past him and with new players and returning players I don’t see a spot for him.

He will retain his place though.
I think the weight of expectation is causing some impatience. As was said, we had the youngest team for the round with 10 players under 50 games. If that's not development then l dunno what is.
RTB has if nothing else been true to has word from day dot. Not gonna thrash the kids in the middle till their bodies are ready. Youth and drafting focus. It's the long road.

Interested to see Higgins set shot accuracy and total shots in that 93 goal span
His action and ball drop had gone to absolute s**t recently. He deadset drops the thing from his hairline and throws all his momentum across his body.

It might be mental but the mechanics of it are truly horrible.

Its interesting that Higgins had 16 touches which was in our top 10 possessions wise, yet his missed goals are what kills his game. He has a poor ball drop for a shorter player, but generally I think his goal kicking woes are psychological. It has been an issue for some years now, the club and Jack need to get on top of it asap. If he was able to convert all his opportunities he would be a very good player if not elite.
Higgins and Owens have plank hands .... hold the ball like 9 year olds when having a set shot

All summer to work on different techniques to get better with their ball drop/technique

Doubt they will ever improve

Wilson was a tale of 2 halves. Looked way off the pace for a half and then came out and looked at home.

I really liked Henry's game, thought he provided energy and second and third efforts. I think he looks like a massive addition to the list.
How lucky for Wilson that we on big footy are prepared to give a debutant a whole half a game to get the feel of an AFL game before we call for his delisting 😉🤣

His action and ball drop had gone to absolute s**t recently. He deadset drops the thing from his hairline and throws all his momentum across his body.

Recently? It's always been terrible especially set shots. Such a shame as he could be a gun if he could kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of Aussie Jones but Aussie could actually kick the thing lol

Old mate Narkles Helmet having an absolute essay party on the main board sticking the boots into his supposed team and Lyon...
Personally find him one of the more considered and thoughtful posters on here. Without getting into the specifics of the current debate, would back his arguments to be right over the long-term more often than not

Think you will find he is more than a 'supposed' supporter mate. Never seen anything to doubt he loves the jumper

Last edited:
I honestly think he's not getting used properly or directed better with his set shots. Mostly he's too heavy.

He's got a heavy set build, I thought he moved quite fast on the weekend. He probably needs to model his game on someone like Zurhaar. He's probably in that Jake Stringer, Stevie J, Ryan O'Keefe maybe even Nick Davis type of role as a kind of inbetweener.

Good news everyone. Laura Kane has reviewed the Stocker/Dangerfield free and is comfortable with it.

So if you see a player going for the ball on the ground just go up and knee them in the back and you'll get a free.

Farcical.

We should train that as I've said. Sanctioned by the AFL.

Good news everyone. Laura Kane has reviewed the Stocker/Dangerfield free and is comfortable with it.

So if you see a player going for the ball on the ground just go up and knee them in the back and you'll get a free.

Farcical.
1.5 rounds in and she’s already embarrassed herself multiple times.

The Neale head punch farce, saying the AFL “needs” more diversity in umpiring, confirming the Tiges rushed behind free was correct - and that that is “now a rule we’re looking to enforce” (without telling players, clubs, fans or media?!), and now this.

Her mate “Dillo” has all the personality of goal post cladding also.

Last edited:
1.5 rounds in and she’s already embarrassed herself multiple times.

The Neale head punch farce, saying the AFL “needs” more diversity in umipiring, confirming the Tiges rushed behind free was correct - and that that is “now a rule we’re looking to enforce” (without telling players, clubs, fans or media?!), and now this.

Her mate “Dillo” has all the personality of goal post cladding also.

She's not had a great start. Was she the one who hired Ben Amarfio?

Recently? It's always been terrible especially set shots. Such a shame as he could be a gun if he could kick.
Yep seems to be getting worse and would be a gun if he could kick - as it is I think he's turning into a liability

He should practice a technique of getting the ball to boot in a simple efficient manner for shots when he's within 40m of the goals - ie when he doesn't need to worry about 2 things accuracy and distance - just getting a simple easy routine for accuracy. Worry about kicking the skin off it for those times he's out of this 'comfort zone' (if he ever finds that zone)

I watched the last quarter of the round 14 2009 saints v geelong with a mate the other day - the kicking is very good even then

Go back (quite!) a bit more and when learning to shoot for goal they tell you to line the laces of the ball with the centre of the goals and keep that line - walk in straight and kick straight through the ball -none of this spinning the ball as you walk in

Its not rocket science a full time professional who has a bad kicking style surely has the capacity to work at changing that style ??

Another case in point - Ahmed Saad - had been found out that he had not even an emergency escape 10% effective left boot just before his long suspension - do you think he worked on that in his year off - no he didn't - was still found out (funny that !) when he came back from suspension - hardly played another game after that - I was really disappointed he had not worked on this obvious flaw (he had plenty of time) - but because he hadn't I was not disappointed to see him go

I don't understand why these guys don't go back to the drawing board and re learn the skill - Higgins is young and can really play - but if you're a small forward and it's any bodies guess where the ball will end up when you're shooting for goal - you won't last too long in the 22 I don't think.

She's not had a great start. Was she the one who hired Ben Amarfio?
She is flavour of the month and the next big thing at the AFL so be prepared to see and hear a lot more from her.

Seems very pleasant, has a nice line of patter and very political. (Know anyone like that at your workplace?).

Now is she up to the job? If a few AFL underlings of hers voluntarily or involuntarily leave to pursue other opportunities you will know the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back