Game Day Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can’t wait to see all the young kids dominate this found . I’m so old now they are all young kids lol. Seriously my back is bad so I don’t expect the see any games live at the ground . So expect some strange choices when we get to giving votes lmao . At least I have Kayo this year .

They've got some savvy old heads that have been around the block more times than most...never underestimate what that level of experience can do.
I never read much into the first round, but i'm optimistic. Love the new additions to the team, and the speed factor. My only worry is our ball use and skill. It's better than it used to be, and many of the hacks are now gone, but the fear is still there, and method and gameplay are only as good as those charged with executing it. Results aside, if we come close to resembling how GWS or Sydney have looked, then I'll know we are looking good for when it matters most.

If we win this game it will be thanks to our run. We know Lyon pushes the players to their limits in the pre season, whereas the cats probably need to cautiously build into the season with half of their best 22 being over 30. Still a coin flip game though - Cameron, Hawkins, Stewart and Danger could all tear us up if they're on.

Looking forward to the trek out to GMHBA today. I’m sitting in the new Joel Selwood stand. I assume you have to duck to get in.

Lots of excitement this year. It’s hard to know what to expect. But 10 players under 23 is exciting, and there’s relatively high certainty that the majority of the 10 will be quality players. It really does finally feel like we might be building towards something more substantial than maybe making finals or winning one. And maybe not this year, but in a few we could genuinely challenge if we keep adding to this young core and then hit free agency/trade again to fill the gaps.

For this game, and for this year, we are still 2, maybe 3 players off. A big intercepting defender would be great, but Battle, Wilkie and co do a great job and are reliable where Cordy and Howard are not. Another big forward is a must over the next few years. We can’t just rely on King, even though I think he will win the Coleman if he plays a full season this year. Time for him to explode.

But it’s a gun midfielder or two we REALLY miss and it could hurt us tonight. The cats are strong in attack but there midfield looks a little one paced. What a shame we will struggle to take advantage of that. Hill and Henry on the outside will help. Wood and Byrnes are ridiculously hard working on the outside and superb in transition defence (even if I do have serious misgivings about Byrnes’ kicking and inability to stick a tackle - I can’t question his commitment).

We lack the explosive midfielder or elite kicking midfielder who can tear a game to shreds. Our midfielders are all a bit too similar and probably stuck in one position, unable to rest elsewhere effectively.

I’d love to see Philipou and Owens given more rotations through there this year.

It’s hard to tell what the narrow ground will do for our running game. We were very good defensively last year and I see it maybe helping us there, but we really need that quick ball movement off half back to try to get space over the back. The long kicks of players like Bonner and Pou could be really useful at a ground like GMHBA.

And I just have a feeling that Steele will be back to his best. And we really need him to be.

IF, and it’s a big if, we can contain the Cats tall and small forwards, we can and will win this game - which would be a huge confidence builder to start the season. If Cordy can keep the big Tomahawk out it will be huge.

And I fully expect to be destroyed by umpiring. I anticipate watching Hawkins clearly cheat in the ruck and kick a goal despite a clear 2-action shove which lesser players are penalised for every time. If I expect it, maybe I’ll be calmer during the game.

Who else is making the trip up the highway?

First time at KP since I was a kid - not feeling confident at all so hopefully that means we're in for a good performance.
I'll be there. Like you this will be the first trip there since the nineties.
Last time I went to Geelong I vowed to never return, horrible place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really pumped for Wilson. Feel like he'll become a special player for us.

No idea how the game will go. Cats are a bit of a mystery.

Yes, be really interesting to see how Wilson and Collard go. Wilson looks like he is ready made, Collard less so.

Pretty tough assignment first up. Don't expect Cats to be top 8 this year but they will be pumped for the first round and I just don't think KP is a ground that is going to suit our game, it is too easy to congest.

I think we are slight underdogs. Steele, Marshall and Crouch need to be at top of game I think for us to win. Can't expect the kids to do it.

They've got some savvy old heads that have been around the block more times than most...never underestimate what that level of experience can do.
I never read much into the first round, but i'm optimistic. Love the new additions to the team, and the speed factor. My only worry is our ball use and skill. It's better than it used to be, and many of the hacks are now gone, but the fear is still there, and method and gameplay are only as good as those charged with executing it. Results aside, if we come close to resembling how GWS or Sydney have looked, then I'll know we are looking good for when it matters most.

After watch Sydney rip Collingwood open with fast run and carry, I hope new use this game to practice it for next week. Sydney wanted that game more and Lyon and Horse are from the same Paul Roos school of effort based game. Hope we bring it for the next 2 weeks.

Yes, be really interesting to see how Wilson and Collard go. Wilson looks like he is ready made, Collard less so.

Pretty tough assignment first up. Don't expect Cats to be top 8 this year but they will be pumped for the first round and I just don't think KP is a ground that is going to suit our game, it is too easy to congest.

I think we are slight underdogs. Steele, Marshall and Crouch need to be at top of game I think for us to win. Can't expect the kids to do it.

I think we like to congest and shut down space so swings and roundabouts. KP has a true home ground advantage but they also only spent a couple of seasons out of finals in the last 20 years so they've had good sides. They loaded up with geriatrics for one last crack and now look a bit over the hill. That said old stagers know all the tricks still.

I think we like to congest and shut down space so swings and roundabouts. KP has a true home ground advantage but they also only spent a couple of seasons out of finals in the last 20 years so they've had good sides. They loaded up with geriatrics for one last crack and now look a bit over the hill. That said old stagers know all the tricks still.
There is pressure on their kids to step up. Guys like Bruhn, Clark, Holmes have been announced in no uncertain terms as the next Selwood, Smith etc.

I'd love to see some of our kids take it up to them, it will go a long way to winning the game.

If we get on top some of their old heads could drop at the prospect of a long season ahead. Guys like Hawkins and Tuohy are seriously old now, let's run them off their feet.

There is pressure on their kids to step up. Guys like Bruhn, Clark, Holmes have been announced in no uncertain terms as the next Selwood, Smith etc.

I'd love to see some of our kids take it up to them, it will go a long way to winning the game.

If we get on top some of their old heads could drop at the prospect of a long season ahead. Guys like Hawkins and Tuohy are seriously old now, let's run them off their feet.

Yeah, if we keep the tempo high it should help unsettle them.

Holmes looks like a gun, Clark and Bruhn are wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back