Preview Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda - GMHBA Stadium, Saturday 16th March, 7:30PM AEDT *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 62 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo has fixed them up a few times, i remember that game well, Stephen hill taking about 5 bounces and kicking a ripping goal
yes, Ross mentioned that in his presser of how to beat geelong in Geelong

Man this would be a nice one to win to start the season. A statement beating the Cats in Geelong would be a big one regardless of their standing this season.

Like everyone I'm pumped to watch all of our younger players with x-factor on nearly every line. That'll be the best bit regardless of result. We match up well and Ross will tweak the game plan for GMHBA.

Bring it on

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lets not forget how Richo coached this game, put an extra man back and left our midfield with one man short.

The ball never got to our forward line after half time, was one of the worst displays of coaching I have seen.
Hear hear! And if I recall correctly it was McCartin vs 2 or 3 defenders who took possession, ran and pumped it into their forward 50 under no pressure.

Didn’t the players meet after the game and revolt and provided Richo with feedback that the coaching was shite?

Jesus, must win?

Every year there are teams who make he 8 after a bad start.

I’d say par for us is 4-4 after round 8.

The next 5 from 9-13 represent a massive chance to go 4-1 (8-5)

If we do that, we then need to be talking scalps on 2nd half of the year.

Not ideal with a young side though. Psychologically hard to come back from a bad start.

Jesus, must win?

Every year there are teams who make he 8 after a bad start.

I’d say par for us is 4-4 after round 8.

The next 5 from 9-13 represent a massive chance to go 4-1 (8-5)

If we do that, we then need to be talking scalps on 2nd half of the year.
Read again what you highlighted.

"in our context" means you can't compare our situation with other teams - our past 2 years of fading in 2nd half of seasons makes it hard to justify a loss rd1 to a middle-table team IF we want a "deep run in finals" that would require beating top teams. No other finals-contending team fades harder than we have the past couple of years, so we need a head-start - especially against a team that sees themselves as challenging for finals against us

If you're happy with the club just making the 8 and winning one final then sure, not remotely close to must-win. And sure 4-4 may be par but I still disagree with that. If we want to make finals we need to get wins on the board early before our 2nd half fade-out.

Lets not forget how Richo coached this game, put an extra man back and left our midfield with one man short.

The ball never got to our forward line after half time, was one of the worst displays of coaching I have seen.

Exactly Richo was IMO the worst coach to ever be given a lengthy tenure at an AFL club in the modern era. That game in Geelong was a coach who conceded defeat even before the team ran out, he gave them no hope of winning- disgraceful.

The guy had no clue, no belief in the club, players and he and Elshaugh held our club back for years, even after they departed. Finnis did a lot of good things for the club off field, but he shouldnt have been let within a 'bulls roar' of football department decisions.

Exactly Richo was IMO the worst coach to ever be given a lengthy tenure at an AFL club in the modern era. That game in Geelong was a coach who conceded defeat even before the team ran out, he gave them no hope of winning- disgraceful.

The guy had no clue, no belief in the club, players and he and Elshaugh held our club back for years, even after they departed. Finnis did a lot of good things for the club off field, but he shouldnt have been let within a 'bulls roar' of football department decisions.
Richo and maybe to a lesser extent, Ratts, seemed to get a bit panicky when we got in front of teams at half time after playing good attacking footy, and went defensive for no real reason- maybe lack of confidence in their game plan? We lost so many games that we should have won.

Richo and maybe to a lesser extent, Ratts, seemed to get a bit panicky when we got in front of teams at half time after playing good attacking footy, and went defensive for no real reason- maybe lack of confidence in their game plan? We lost so many games where that we should have won.
The funny thing with that is neither of them knew how to go defensive like Ross does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear your other horse Dougal’s Delight is coming along nicely 😃

GzvOMVd.gif
Got the color right and coming along nicely but that's where your story ends ;)

Seems like a strange thing to get hung up on, which player will spend the first 4 or so minutes on the bench and which one starts on the ground.

In the end most players spend similar time on the ground, maybe both start on the ground. But who really gives a * to be honest.
Sounds like you need a cuddle Captain 😘

Did similar against Port at AO in 2017...team was in front after 2 terms of hard work and good forward craft after coming from behind...Richo goes stack the backline ignoring the momentum of the game...the rest is a Paddy Ryder to Robbie Gray highlight reel moment.

I’ve got 3 free tickets for Saturday night if anyone is looking.

Section A17 Row P

Can’t go now unfortunately but don’t want the seats to go unused.

Send me a DM if you’re interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey W2L, do you still have these? I'm just after the 1 but it won't let me DM you

Alternatively, the sub is terrible and would rather no one have to start in the vest!!
Its a joke really. Was brought in under the guise of "thinking about concussion" and then just turned it into the sub we always hated. If they had been serious about it they would have allowed you to sub anyone from your emergencies in a like for like situation to encourage more conservative action in regards to head knocks.

Its a joke really. Was brought in under the guise of "thinking about concussion" and then just turned it into the sub we always hated. If they had been serious about it they would have allowed you to sub anyone from your emergencies in a like for like situation to encourage more conservative action in regards to head knocks.
Actually, that’s a very good idea.

Weirdly, the players revolted against the original sub, which is why it was removed. Then they revolted against the medi sub and said we just want a normal sub, which took the AFL by surprise. So this one's actually on the players!

List of players not selected is interesting. Especially as the first 5 listed below come back from injury.

Best 22 Unavailable
  • Howard
  • Clark
  • Sinclair
  • Butler
  • Dow
  • Webster (S)

Not best 22 Unavailable
  • Hayes
  • Van Es
  • Heath
  • Paton

Available not selected
  • Garcia (E)
  • Caminiti (E)
  • Schoenmaker (E)
  • Campbell
  • Jones
  • Hastie
  • Allison
  • Mclennan
  • Hotton
  • Oconnor
Take out those that are understandable and it's pretty clear where it's at.

Available not selected
  • Garcia (E)
  • Caminiti (E)
  • Schoenmaker (E)
  • Campbell (VFL coach)
  • Jones (omitted)
  • Mclennan (2nd year rookie)
  • Hotton (1st year fit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back