Preview Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood - MCG, Thursday 21st March, 7:30PM AEDT *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Magpies

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once we win or at least break even in the midfield and then deliver to our forwards better our game will look great.
Having to rely on the ball rebounding from the halfbacks should be 2nd to winning the ball in the middle and then to the forwards , it is the fastest way to break up a backline with the 666 rule and having a big bloke like King - it will only help him.
Turnover accounts for over 50% of all scoring. Centre bounces closer to 15%. If we want to win games focusing on intercepting and rebounding is the strategy.

I said before R1 it was a big year for Max, needs to announce himself as the DP4 marquee power forward you can build a team around by winning us some games off his own boot. He blew chance number one against the Cats so here's hoping this is the week we beat the Pies and Max is the reason.

Time to earn ya pay pack Max and kick more goals than points and start improving that low footy IQ of yours.

Disagree, thought it was a solid performance in a game where Geelong were clearly the better team and there was next to no delivery

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it a requirement to upgrade your membership to a reserved seat for this? Or can GA still get in?

It only offered a ticketed seat as far as I could work out but they time you out so want going exploring after taking 30minutes for their s**t site to load.

It only offered a ticketed seat as far as I could work out but they time you out so want going exploring after taking 30minutes for their s**t site to load.
From memory you can upgrade at no cost, but also pay extra if you want Level 2 seating or something. Who knows, the whole thing is a ******* headache to go through. Should be able to just get there and scan the card to get in or go upgrade at the booths.

From memory you can upgrade at no cost, but also pay extra if you want Level 2 seating or something. Who knows, the whole thing is a ******* headache to go through. Should be able to just get there and scan the card to get in or go upgrade at the booths.

Yeah, that's the same system. I want cards back. I hate deciding to go on a Tuesday or when ever they release tickets. I like to rock up if I feel like it on the day.

Yeah, that's the same system. I want cards back. I hate deciding to go on a Tuesday or when ever they release tickets. I like to rock up if I feel like it on the day.
Yeah same here it's hardly ever a planned thing.

Do you think we'll persist with Pou as a mid this week? I reckon that's one of the most fascinating aspects of the game. Will Ross throw him in against the likes of De Goey, Mitchell, Crisp etc? It could go quite pear-shaped, but could be the making of him.

I agree it will be fascinating and give us an idea of whether RTB wants to maximise our chance of winning now, against being a better team in the future.

At present, they are certainly giving great weight to the future. Picking Collard last week showed that, and playing Poo every game last season when his form dipped last season also showed that.

But playing Poo a lot in the midfield against the Pies might be good for his long term development, but it would make it very hard for us to win the game. He like Steele and Crouch does not have burst pace. But both of them can win more ball there, and also tackle well. We need players who can provide burst.

Owens has been a little out of sorts this pre-season and against the Cats. A lot of time in the midfield this week I doubt will be the best way to get his mojo back. With Owens I think part of the reason he is less effective is that the opposition now know what he can do, and so he cops a lot more attention than he used too.

As others have already noted we need if we want to win to start Windy of Daicos. Windy quietened Holmes when he went on him, and as we have seen in the past Windy thrives on tagging an opposition gun.

Henry in the guts added some energy and pace. So he will be rotated through. He is a physical player as well.

Sins will get some rotations, but I personally believe that he plays best as a mid when he is used there in bursts.

Crouch I would believe will be better. But he an Steele both cannot win the ball, and then burst away. We really need Dow, but do not have him.

How has Jones been at training? If ok then he should be a chance for at least the sub role. While I do understand the desire, and the need, to get games into the kids, this week against the Pies is a game we need to win if we want to have our best crack at playing finals this year.

For me jury is out on Pou being a midfielder until I see a bit more run and flow

He seems to be very good at getting the ball standing still but not really seeing him receiving the ball on the move through the middle or bursting out of congestion

His general movement seems to be quite static at the moment and 65% of his disposals are handballs

Given his size a few more contested marks would be good to see as well.

He racks up 15 possies a game but you struggle to remember any or where he got them ...... so some would argue his current gameplay impact is on the lower end of the scale

Maybe it will come ... maybe not ... he is still a teen and is still on a huge learning curve

Ridiculous and weak mindset.
It was an accurate statement. We have struggled in the limelight in recent memory.
There's no guarantee that history will repeat but our record in "Spuds game " isn't flash.

It's 0-3.

Trends are meant to be broken.

I'm predicting that the score card will be 1-3 by 1030 pm Thursday night.
There isn't but you can only go off past history.

Pou is a mid, but he last year was the youngest player in the League and played every game, he is still yet to grow into his body.

Owens should be a pure chaos footballer, he can play mid, play KPF and play ruck and change games with his will, Dusty 2.0
If Pou is a mid, then so is Wilke or Sharman- Pou hasn't got the natural pace or burst speed to be mid, and is purely a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it will be fascinating and give us an idea of whether RTB wants to maximise our chance of winning now, against being a better team in the future.

At present, they are certainly giving great weight to the future. Picking Collard last week showed that, and playing Poo every game last season when his form dipped last season also showed that.

But playing Poo a lot in the midfield against the Pies might be good for his long term development, but it would make it very hard for us to win the game. He like Steele and Crouch does not have burst pace. But both of them can win more ball there, and also tackle well. We need players who can provide burst.

Owens has been a little out of sorts this pre-season and against the Cats. A lot of time in the midfield this week I doubt will be the best way to get his mojo back. With Owens I think part of the reason he is less effective is that the opposition now know what he can do, and so he cops a lot more attention than he used too.

As others have already noted we need if we want to win to start Windy of Daicos. Windy quietened Holmes when he went on him, and as we have seen in the past Windy thrives on tagging an opposition gun.

Henry in the guts added some energy and pace. So he will be rotated through. He is a physical player as well.

Sins will get some rotations, but I personally believe that he plays best as a mid when he is used there in bursts.

Crouch I would believe will be better. But he an Steele both cannot win the ball, and then burst away. We really need Dow, but do not have him.

How has Jones been at training? If ok then he should be a chance for at least the sub role. While I do understand the desire, and the need, to get games into the kids, this week against the Pies is a game we need to win if we want to have our best crack at playing finals this year.

It can be hard to know what the coaches are asking of a player too. In the practice match I was watching Garcia closely when he got runs on ball. He hardly touched the ball and a lot of ball ups his eyes were on the player he was standing not the ball. He'd obviously been told to wear a good player. Think he had Durham and Parish. He hardly bothered the stats sheet but he looked like he made sure they didn't either.

Perhaps that's all they are expecting of Phillipou at this point.

If Pou is a mid, then so is Wilke or Sharman- Pou hasn't got the natural pace or burst speed to be mid, and is purely a forward.

Guys like Cripps look like they shouldn't be mids either. Even Bont sort of lopes at the ball rather than explodes towards it. MP's got really nice hands and a quick mind. A lot of his goals have been from his ability to take the ball and get it straight to his foot without a delay. That's ideal as an inside mid.

Prime time game, game that means something to the club and an opposition getting raked over the coals.

All set for a classic St Kilda loss.
We do tend to poo the bed when we play in any type of Marquee game , hope things have changed

Guys like Cripps look like they shouldn't be mids either. Even Bont sort of lopes at the ball rather than explodes towards it. MP's got really nice hands and a quick mind. A lot of his goals have been from his ability to take the ball and get it straight to his foot without a delay. That's ideal as an inside mid.
At the same age, Cripps was much faster off the mark, carried the ball further and was more nimble for his size. I would like every new young player we get to be a midfield star, but in reality only a few are naturals for that position.

At the same age, Cripps was much faster off the mark, carried the ball further and was more nimble for his size. I would like every new young player we get to be a midfield star, but in reality only a few are naturals for that position.
I think the issue you are getting is related to the ability to get in and out of a stoppage. Which is valid.

Generally a midfielder needs to have one of three things
  • Immense strength to break through tackles and can feed handballs out (Cripps, Fyfe,
  • Explosive speed to run through stoppages ie Danger/Shuey/Judd
  • Players who can work through the traffic without speed or power but through their use of spacial awarness (Pendles, hunter Clark, Dal Santo, Neale)

Now many of the top line midfielders have a combination of this. I think the worry that some have with Pou is that he hasn't in your eyes showed an ability to get in and out of traffic. I for one would argue that he has he just hasn't shown it yet that to a high level. However, he has shown a great ability get his hands free which is important to the first point.

In addition, I will post those highlights videos including from Brisbane game last year. Now we know who was in BL's midifield last year. He had the equal third highest number of clearances only behind Mccanerny, Neale and Marshal. Most importantly in that game he has 3 centre clearances second only to Neale. Now this was a small sample size, but we also know that Pou didn;t play that much midfield last year. So as the youngest player in the comp he did this.

In addition,

go to 2.18

You can see that in this instance Pou was able to 'work his way through traffic'.

This video

watch from 1 second and skip to 58 seconds

Now this is just a small clip of evidence. My point is this. We know it takes some midfielders time to adjust to the speed. I'd argue that it took someone like Petracca 2/3 years to adjust properly.

The way I look at midfield development is like so
It is important for confidence for Pou to basicly tick of check boxes as 'firsts' before building into consistancy.
  • get over 20 diposals in a game. Don;t care how he gets it.
  • Get over 5 tackles
  • get over 5 clearances
  • get over 25 disposals
  • get 10 clearances
  • get kick 3 goals again
  • (Have one of the types of clearances where he explodes and kicks a goals from 50)
  • Get 10 marks in a game

In summary, Pou will get there as a mid. I think he is being taught to be ultra defensive atm which is also sifling some of his 'speed' evasiveness around the contest. I think we need t look for small signs of improvement but he will get there. The last thing to add is that we know and have seen how dedicated Pou is to improving and wanting to get better so I think once he does check off all the things above his growth trajectory will be almost vertical.

Midfield needs reorganisation. a detonation.

We are going to be bringing a knife to a gunfight all year because of soft/safe decisions on list management.

Sinclair needs to play as a fulltime mid- we have plenty of cover for him off half back.

It's embarrassing we are rolling out with kids who arent ready like pou, windy, owens or journeymen like crouch, ross as our key mids.

Last edited:
Christ you lot, bit scared of a little Thursday night prime time clash against the reigning premiers at their home ground, despite it being our home game and the team being Collingwood who have lost their first two games and history says it’s unlikely they’ll lose their third, and the umps will ride them to completion again, whilst Cal Twomey writes an article on ranking Nick Daicos 49 first games whilst everyone just ignores Seb Ross’ 200th game, as we get distracted because we are playing for mental health awareness and the temper trap’s sweet disposition throws us off kilter and we can’t kick a set shot unless the game is moot and the umps are too busy fawning over the Daicosvoss twins to notice our players heads being ripped off, as a single tear rolls down my eye, i begin to choke on my cold $16 chicken tender, but luckily the 12 year old Collingwood fan behind me is kicking the back of my chair and it releases the tender from my throat, it is bittersweet, as for a moment I am ready to embrace a cold release but I am saved by a little twerp only to look up and see that the ghost of Nathan Murphy has Max King in a headlock as the channel 7 spider cam is flying into his head giving him repeat concussions for a compound medical event that sees King out for the season, are we?

Get it together, who gives a flying * about who we are playing or where we are playing or what history says will happen or won’t, if you have half a brain you know this Saints team is young yes, but we have the capacity to beat good sides because we have the capacity to be a good side. In the meantime have some optimism and support! Win or lose by 100, onto the next, have faith when the signs are there, because they are - can’t say the same for the last decade.

Jack Steele doesn't have a big burst of speed and I could rattle off another hundred mids that haven't had it either.

There aren't too many ready made 19 year old mids. Phillipou has plenty of quality traits. Thr fact that we are already putting time into his midfield craft so early suggest all the coaching staff agree too.

He's not going to dominate through the midfield this year but if we continue to Blood him through there he will be a quality mid in two or three years time.

For all you people back home, I'd like you to button down, get to the 'G and make some fckn noise!

8:30am start over here and I can guarantee you - coffee will be hot, scarf will be out and lungs will be bursting, no matter which way it goes!

Go you f-ing SAINT-AAAA!!!!!!!

For all you people back home, I'd like you to button down, get to the 'G and make some fckn noise!

8:30am start over here and I can guarantee you - coffee will be hot, scarf will be out and lungs will be bursting, no matter which way it goes!

Go you f-ing SAINT-AAAA!!!!!!!
f-ck me , how many times did he say Button Down , its that the new catch word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back