Autopsy Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

The hoo ha over Snags' goal from the boundary is quite amusing. Clearly they have no understanding of how parallax error plays into the view of the ball in relation to the boundary line marking.

The ball is not on the same plane as the boundary. It sits above it. The ideal place to accurately view the position of the ball in relation to the line is 90 degrees perpendicular to the play. This is why a good goal umpire will locate themself on the goaline when judging whether the ball has crossed the line.

If the view in the case of Snags' kick is to the left of perpendicular it wlll give the impression that the ball is further to the right. If the view is to the left of perpendicular it will look like the ball is further left.

The camera angle makes the ball look as though it is further to the right than it actually is. In all likelihood a correction of that angle would reveal a good portion of the ball over the line at the point it was kicked. The boundary umpires in this case are located closer to perpendicular than the camera and therefore have a better view of the ball's actual location. Play on. Goal of the year!
Yeah - imagine talking down a Saints players contender for goal of the year.

Two umpires on the line 10 metres away said it was OK but blokes sitting in the stand a hundred and fifty metres away (probably half cut) reckon they know better.

Stunning goal from Higgins.

The hoo ha over Snags' goal from the boundary is quite amusing. Clearly they have no understanding of how parallax error plays into the view of the ball in relation to the boundary line marking.

The ball is not on the same plane as the boundary. It sits above it. The ideal place to accurately view the position of the ball in relation to the line is 90 degrees perpendicular to the play. This is why a good goal umpire will locate themself on the goaline when judging whether the ball has crossed the line.

If the view in the case of Snags' kick is to the left of perpendicular it wlll give the impression that the ball is further to the right. If the view is to the left of perpendicular it will look like the ball is further left.

The camera angle makes the ball look as though it is further to the right than it actually is. In all likelihood a correction of that angle would reveal a good portion of the ball over the line at the point it was kicked. The boundary umpires in this case are located closer to perpendicular than the camera and therefore have a better view of the ball's actual location. Play on. Goal of the year!
They also don't worry about the fact that Moore threw the ball immediately before Higgins shot at goal.
We should have a a set shot from a better position instead.

Two umpires on the line 10 metres away said it was OK but blokes sitting in the stand a hundred and fifty metres away (probably half cut) reckon they know better.

Sitting in the stand? Do they even bother going to the ground these days? I thought they just broadcast it from some nondescript studio.

I’ve watched the replay a couple of times now, and I’m with George. Those free kicks were 100% there, even if some were 50/50. If Collingwoods players focussed more on winning the ball, and not scragging or going the man, they wouldn’t have given so many away.

We’re a much better team when we get the ball out and run.

On Kings suspension, I’ve looked at it multiple times, and whilst it was silly on his part, I’m failing to see how it’s worth a week. My daughter whacks me harder when I put a blue rug on her horse instead of the pink one 😂
I can't see how it is medium contact. The player was off balance and falling to the ground anyway under B Hill's pressure. He went to ground and as soon as the free kick was paid, jumped to his feet and ran off. Round 11 last year there were a number graded the same as King's charge, mostly sling tackles but Sicily on Caminiti is the closest type of incident that I could find. See 2.15 in the vid. I think we'd agree the force was much more than the King incident. And I also liked the 1 week offered to nasty Zorko that you can see at 3.05.

I’ve watched the replay a couple of times now, and I’m with George. Those free kicks were 100% there, even if some were 50/50. If Collingwoods players focussed more on winning the ball, and not scragging or going the man, they wouldn’t have given so many away.

We’re a much better team when we get the ball out and run.

On Kings suspension, I’ve looked at it multiple times, and whilst it was silly on his part, I’m failing to see how it’s worth a week. My daughter whacks me harder when I put a blue rug on her horse instead of the pink one 😂

I've seen it multiple times on my 55", frame by frame, it's worth the free kick it got with the downfield, but yeah, to cite it is a straight reach.

Sidebottom literally clotheslined people, that Higgins professional free was a straight intention charge to impact Higgins from the front, remember it is potential for injury, not actual injury, so Higgins being aware of this to mitigate is irrelevant, these actions are worse than King trying to run past having given up on the run down tackle option.

The only silly instance is that the MRO singled out this singular instance from the match to cite with any impact.

It’s funny, boundary umpire was right there looking from the opposite angle. Is there footage from that angle? I haven’t seen it and I’d like too. I also like how we are collectively pretending Darcy Moore didn’t full on throw the ball to Higgins immediately beforehand 😆

Mason Wood plays an end to end marking target and fill in defender/forward more than a pure spread running outside player. After Wood went down as you say Sharman played an end to end running role. He looked stuffed by the end but he was still running flat out. These days there are multiple wingmen who play off HFF and the back pockets and HBF move up to meet the ball rather than camp. Having a taller option that can run is a great asset at both ends.

Henry is a massive loss, he's already been one of our most important contributors in both games. He provides a huge amount of energy.

That's extremely harsh on Marshall, he's an awkward looking player at times but for pure contribution there aren't many rucks as good. It wasn't his best game by any means but still did heaps.

Agree, we are still a work in progress. Injury and suspension are already starting to erode confidence. Don't think we'll know where we stand until half way through the season. Still a great win and a reason to be proud of the club. Our mental fortitude turnaround has been huge in the last 4 years.
Also,

Brad Hill played a blinder, he looked like he was everywhere. (Lots of our players looked like they were everywhere) Great leadership; his trade looked very poor at first but is now very much paying off on multiple levels.

Another gif-worthy Owens highlight was somewhere in the first half, Mitchito grabs the ball in the centre and instead of taking off towards goal, he smashes into the oppo player in that direction then exits with the ball the other way before effecting an effective disposal. The commentator said something naive like "Owens runs into a brick wall", but no sir, the truth is far more awesome and terrifying...

... Mitch Owens grabbed the ball, then WENT LOOKING for the nearest brick wall and SMASHED IT DOWN, avoiding the risk of it falling on top of him, then went on his merry way. I hope oppo teams are ready for him, he is going to WILLFULLY DESTROY then just for fun. They're going to have to start scoring his game involvement with Tarantino-style film scores.

Lastly, loving Max's new positioning upfield. So much smarter than making him stand in the goal square and try to mark falling artillery.

Last edited:
Also,

Brad Hill played a blinder, he looked like he was everywhere. (Lots of our players looked like they were everywhere) Great leadership; his trade looked very poor at first but is now very much paying off on multiple levels.

Another gif-worthy Owens highlight was somewhere in the first half, Mitchito grabs the ball in the centre and instead of taking off towards goal, he smashes into the oppo player in that direction then exits with the ball the other way before effecting an effective disposal. The commentator said something naive like "Owens runs into a brick wall", but no sir, the truth is far more awesome and terrifying...

... Mitch Owens grabbed the ball, then WENT LOOKING for the nearest brick wall and SMASHED IT DOWN, avoiding the risk of it falling on top of him, then went on his merry way. I hope oppo teams are ready for him, he is going to WILLFULLY DESTROY then just for fun. They're going to have to start scoring his game involvement with Tarantino-style film scores.

Lastly, loving Max's new positioning upfield. So much smarter than making him stand in the goal square and try to mark falling artillery.
I think it was Daicos that he destroyed, which made it even better

I can't see how it is medium contact. The player was off balance and falling to the ground anyway under B Hill's pressure. He went to ground and as soon as the free kick was paid, jumped to his feet and ran off. Round 11 last year there were a number graded the same as King's charge, mostly sling tackles but Sicily on Caminiti is the closest type of incident that I could find. See 2.15 in the vid. I think we'd agree the force was much more than the King incident. And I also liked the 1 week offered to nasty Zorko that you can see at 3.05.

Though those are all last season. Penalties have been increased this season

Though those are all last season. Penalties have been increased this season
That is true, but the reality is that the impact is negligible. The player got straight up, ran off and rejoined play. There was no apparent effect on him and no remonstration!! It should be thrown out as not reportable, a downfield free kick was paid at the time and that was appropriate.

That is true, but the reality is that the impact is negligible. The player got straight up, ran off and rejoined play. There was no apparent effect on him and no remonstration!! It should be thrown out as not reportable, a downfield free kick was paid at the time and that was appropriate.

I think the best outcome for us that is likely is if they get it downgraded to a fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was Daicos that he destroyed, which made it even better
Yep, just found it. It was part of a delicious passage of play late in the first quarter, (about 2 minutes from the end), right after two great consecutive defensive acts from Sharman, both averting certain oppo goals.

Windhager pounces on a loose handball in the middle of the ground from Crisp meant for the one-paced Naicos, feeds it quickly to Zac Jones who handballs it back lightning fast to Bull Owens who with just enough time and space to think about it decides to push the floundering Rising Star Daicos out of harms way before turning and booting the ball cleanly and accurately to King who shrugs the flailing Sidebottom and nonchalantly snaps what would have been a certain goal had it not been for Higgins standing on the goal line and the desperate Frampton who makes a Saints goal a certainty with his crude act.

Champagne football indeed!

Yes I'm summoning the spirit of Bruce MacAvaney with use of the words "delicious" and "champagne football", it's an unpopular opinion I'm sure but there's not enough Bruce in modern commentary imo

Last edited:
Also,

I wish they hadn't included Acres in that trade 😞

I wish they hadn't included Acres in that trade
Can't keep em all, mate. I'm happy to give him a new start and draw a line under the Richo generation of footballers. Ross, Webster, Sinclair, Marshall, Clark, Paton and Battle the only pre-King Saints draftees left and can only see 3 of that 7 playing in our next grand final (happy for it to be more)

Yep, just found it. It was part of a delicious passage of play late in the first quarter, (about 2 minutes from the end), right after two great consecutive defensive acts from Sharman, both averting certain oppo goals.

Windhager pounces on a loose handball in the middle of the ground from Crisp meant for the one-paced Naicos, feeds it quickly to Zac Jones who handballs it back lightning fast to Bull Owens who with just enough time and space to think about it decides to push the floundering Rising Star Daicos out of harms way before turning and booting the ball cleanly and accurately to King who shrugs the flailing Sidebottom and nonchalantly snaps what would have been a certain goal had it not been for Higgins standing on the goal line and the desperate Frampton who makes a Saints goal a certainty with his crude act.

Champagne football indeed!

Yes I'm summoning the spirit of Bruce MacAvaney with use of the words "delicious" and "champagne football", it's an unpopular opinion I'm sure but there's not enough Bruce in modern commentary imo
Compared to most current commentators, the more MacAvaney the better! Especially now that Cyril has gone…

Also,

Also had Higgins start very deep forward to score his first goal and seemed to have played there at the start of each centre bounce and roam pretty close in when not chasing. Max was more rangy CHF set up.

Also had Higgins start very deep forward to score his first goal and seemed to have played there at the start of each centre bounce and roam pretty close in when not chasing. Max was more rangy CHF set up.
Also helps ensure that Higgo is likely to get a gimme for his first. As someone said on here last week, if he nails his first shot, he usually has a big night.

Compared to most current commentators, the more MacAvaney the better! Especially now that Cyril has gone…
The weird banter during the break in play for Masons injury was truly horrible, i get that its awkward air to fill but whatever bullshit they were doing whilst that happened was so out of place.

It's certainly a different forward structure. Even when Max marks inside 50 this season, it's often floating back into the hole rather than from a standing start or a lead out of the goalsquare. It is working well so far - makes us much less predictable too.

The weird banter during the break in play for Masons injury was truly horrible, i get that its awkward air to fill but whatever bullshit they were doing whilst that happened was so out of place.
And why did it take so long to bring the cart out? That was pretty bad I thought.

Can't keep em all, mate. I'm happy to give him a new start and draw a line under the Richo generation of footballers. Ross, Webster, Sinclair, Marshall, Clark, Paton and Battle the only pre-King Saints draftees left and can only see 3 of that 7 playing in our next grand final (happy for it to be more)
I think you meant 4 (or 5)...St. Kilda premiership player J. Webster...come on down, and I am gonna out myself here...big Hunter Clark fan...I reckon he is best 22 🥰
Anyway we shall see😊
I think Windhager putting on a Centre square clinic Thursday night, has thrown a cat almost the proverbial pigeons in a great way, imagine a centre square set up of Windy, Mitchito and Dow roving to Roma, or Windy,Mitch and Hunter roving to Roma or Hunter, Ronnie and Pou roving to Roma in the CS at some point this year I reckon the talent is already on the list, and just add to it.😊.

Last edited:

They're told not to make too much of bad injuries, that's why they barely showed a replay - especially the bit where he was convulsing on the ground. AFL doesn't want to scare people off the game or give future players grounds for legal action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back