Preview Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood - MCG, Thursday 21st March, 7:30PM AEDT *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Magpies

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaches have prepared all pre-season with how they see players being best utilised, we don't need to start moving the magnets around off one below par week. We get our best player back, our best mid last year got his first run for the year under his belt, and we're playing at a ground that doesn't stifle our game plan.

Geelong on their home deck in round 1 is about as hard as it gets and most of our players didn't play well. Need to back in what they've worked on and go again this week.

What was far more noticeable was how the ball lived in geelongs forward half the whole game because our midfield was getting pantsed.

It wont matter how cool and calm sinclair is off half back if the ball is in our defence most of the game.

Plus- with the ball living in our defensive half all game- sinclair will be just as rushed as everyone else, his inclusion will make little difference to the result if our midfield continue to be so poor.
Sinclair in his games down back has only rarely had the befit of an effective St Kilda midfield.

The history of our midfield being poor and Sinclair at HB indicates to me at least that Sinclair is:
  • Not as rushed as everyone else = Which is why he is elite
  • That he does make a positive difference even when our midfield is poor.

If Sincs is coming back off a calf, which is chronic, what would be the best way for him to have it blow up?
a) put him in as a full time mid with 70% ground time?
b) put him in as a small general at half back in a back line besieged all day on account of a relatively weak midfield?

Talk about a catch 22?

Christ you lot, bit scared of a little Thursday night prime time clash against the reigning premiers at their home ground, despite it being our home game and the team being Collingwood who have lost their first two games and history says it’s unlikely they’ll lose their third, and the umps will ride them to completion again, whilst Cal Twomey writes an article on ranking Nick Daicos 49 first games whilst everyone just ignores Seb Ross’ 200th game, as we get distracted because we are playing for mental health awareness and the temper trap’s sweet disposition throws us off kilter and we can’t kick a set shot unless the game is moot and the umps are too busy fawning over the Daicosvoss twins to notice our players heads being ripped off, as a single tear rolls down my eye, i begin to choke on my cold $16 chicken tender, but luckily the 12 year old Collingwood fan behind me is kicking the back of my chair and it releases the tender from my throat, it is bittersweet, as for a moment I am ready to embrace a cold release but I am saved by a little twerp only to look up and see that the ghost of Nathan Murphy has Max King in a headlock as the channel 7 spider cam is flying into his head giving him repeat concussions for a compound medical event that sees King out for the season, are we?

Get it together, who gives a flying * about who we are playing or where we are playing or what history says will happen or won’t, if you have half a brain you know this Saints team is young yes, but we have the capacity to beat good sides because we have the capacity to be a good side. In the meantime have some optimism and support! Win or lose by 100, onto the next, have faith when the signs are there, because they are - can’t say the same for the last decade.
Jeez.
A full stop or two would've come in handy! :rolleyes:

B - Wilkie Cordy Stocker

HB - Bonner Battle Wang-Mil

C - Wood Steele Hill

HF - Higgins King Membrey

F - Butler Marshall Wilson

R - Campbell Owens Henry

INT - Ross, Sinclair, Byrnes, Phillipou

SUB - Garcia

Not optimistic at all about this one, can't help but feel we're going to get smashed out of the middle and we'll be on the back foot for the whole game.

Webster is a big loss with Collingwoods dangerous smalls, especially with Stocker potentially still sore. Our small backs are great offensively but not the most accountable.

Like most, I'll spew if I see Steele, Crouch and Ross in the centre contests together.

Also like most, I'm begging to see Owens get some time as a pure inside mid, but it seems he is seen as a utility at this point in his career and unlikely to change.

One area I think we can have an advantage is in our forward line, we've got some dangerous talls. I hope Sharman plays an accountable role on Moore and that Membrey and King can get off the leash a bit.

Tipping the pies by around 4 goals, hoping I'm wrong.

Pies arent in great form but like most clubs they are always confident against us and see it as their devine right to win.

B - Wilkie Cordy Stocker

HB - Bonner Battle Wang-Mil

C - Wood Steele Hill

HF - Higgins King Membrey

F - Butler Marshall Wilson

R - Campbell Owens Henry

INT - Ross, Sinclair, Byrnes, Phillipou

SUB - Garcia

Very interesting if true, Campbell would help against Cox/ Cameron, not good for my supercoach team with Marshall!

Owens named in the guts would be so good!

Very interesting if true, Campbell would help against Cox/ Cameron, not good for my supercoach team with Marshall!

Owens named in the guts would be so good!
Likelyhood of Campbell playing is zero.

The only time Owens will be in the guts is when he's facing off against Cox or Cameron.

Works a treat so lets continue with it.

Where's that Tassie Devils membership form!!!

Me neither strangely I gave us more hope against Geelong. The Pies arent in great form but like most clubs they see it as their devine right to knock off the Saints.

Lets hope RTB can work.some majic and get our midfield firing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy they are wasting him

Let him ruck but * all as an on ball mid
Confused Gary Coleman GIF

If Sincs is coming back off a calf, which is chronic, what would be the best way for him to have it blow up?
a) put him in as a full time mid with 70% ground time?
b) put him in as a small general at half back in a back line besieged all day on account of a relatively weak midfield?

Talk about a catch 22?

Why is his calf chronic? Hasn’t been injured for years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not that surprised that Crouch got dropped as he looked underdone, not sure Jones will be much better though after being out for so long.

He will at least give us more speed in the midfield but he is also more injury prone, hopefully he can get through a full game.

Collard being dropped isn't that surprising either, he didn't have much impact as the sub and doesn't look ready for AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back