Preview Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:20PM AEDT *HASTIE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caminiti replaced King with aplomb last year, think we will be fine. Cordy not having to play on Wright is the more important piece.
Hammer is a young guy still learning his craft. King is now one of the premier forwards in the comp. It's a massive downgrade but hopefully with Members back we can cover it more easily.

Hammer is a young guy still learning his craft. King is now one of the premier forwards in the comp. It's a massive downgrade but hopefully with Members back we can cover it more easily.
Lyon doesn't care about stars, playing a role is his thing. See what he said about Nas's last game to know this.

Van Es is the missing piece. Gorilla KPD.
But injury & youth keeping him out for now.
Big guys take longer to develop in general.
I his case he's skipped the physical development phase so just needs a clear run of games. Hopefully his body holds up because 100kgs is a lot for a 19yo and ankles aren't where you want problems at that age and weight.

Caminiti looked at sea late last year….like he wasn’t sure when to fly/ not …

Hardly surprising for a young key forward playing his first year.

Moreso as he did not have a full preseason.

It will be interesting to see how he goes now after a year of experience to reflect on, a full preseason and probably most importantly a lot more coaching and training to work on his strengths and weaknesses.

Over the years it's always seemed we've gone into games against this mob as the favorites. On far too many of them they've rolled us. For that reason alone I'm always wary when we play them.

The Pies last night franked our form but the Bombers were good against against Sydney last week. Our ever increasing injury list has turned this into a danger game from my perspective. I just hope the lessons learned from the recent practice match will help us get the job done. I don't expect it to be easy

Sorry mate I can't agree with this. I absolutely rate Keeler, Van Es and the rookie Gus. Hotton currently looking like he might not make it, but he is also coming back from a bad injury so jury is out.

Remember these kids have had their development stunted by covid. But Keels and Van Es are talls, who take longer than a good mid. I hope we give those guys the time they'll need - I am actually pretty bullish about those two, unless you know something I dont. Van Es is our big defensive hope, his body is the only thing that will kill his career. But Keels, let's just say I've never seen a tall so clean below his knees. He has very quick hands and is a great kick with agility - he has literally all the tools to make it.

Is why I really want him to come on, as him with Ming makes our F50 that much more dynamic AND he rucks well, so Members, Hammer, Sharman and co can roam and do actual damage instead of just hold a key post down. At a stretch, we could hide him the square and have him wrestle ala early King since we all know Mings field kicking is a beaut and he DGAF kicking from outside 50 anyway but I obviously see why we don't do that.

But yeah, Ming+Keeler and we legit have a league best CHF and potential FF combo discussion, if we then keep Collard, Higgins continues on and we then have guys like Pou, Wilson, Henry and co rotating through the HFF, it becomes something to be proud of rather than stick a Ryan Gamble through.

The 2022 draft crop are a concern apart from Mattaes

2022 looks to have been a very shallow draft pool for all clubs. Not much happening after Pick 18. Other years seem to run a lot deeper.

Though it is still early days for 2022. But for all clubs not much has been gained from it so far.

Looking at our later selections, no other club seems to have done much either in 2022. I still have hopes for Keeler in particular.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a great size but I’m concerned he lacks aggression & intensity…kicking is also iffy
Going to (respectfully, cos if I don’t, I’ll be Carlton-ed) disagree, Mike… I’d say, he’s absolutely fine with aggression; was big-boying blokes 10 years older than him in a couple of games at Sandy last year. Flew the flag quite well a couple of times as well.

The other issues, you may well be right. I still have high hopes for him.

Last edited:
Sorry mate I can't agree with this. I absolutely rate Keeler, Van Es and the rookie Gus. Hotton currently looking like he might not make it, but he is also coming back from a bad injury so jury is out.

Remember these kids have had their development stunted by covid. But Keels and Van Es are talls, who take longer than a good mid. I hope we give those guys the time they'll need - I am actually pretty bullish about those two, unless you know something I dont. Van Es is our big defensive hope, his body is the only thing that will kill his career. But Keels, let's just say I've never seen a tall so clean below his knees. He has very quick hands and is a great kick with agility - he has literally all the tools to make it.

I totally agree we simply cant expect every kid to come in and be AFL ready immediately. As long as they apply themselves and keep showing signs of improvement Im happy. Ive seen enough of Keeler to suggest he will be a star when he matures physically and mentally. Van Es has the physical stature and strength, but it seems last year he was playing through an ankle injury. That has given him more grief over the summer, so hopefully he can get going at some point in the near future.

McLennan will become the perfect replacement for Jimmy Webster, as a strong marking lock down small defender. I was more impressed with his defensive efforts last week than Shoenmaker, who was unlucky not to be included this week.

Hotton looks a bit tentative against the bigger bodies at VFL level, he does have a way to go. But again if he matures physically and improves his tank he could be one of the players that develops into a very good player in the Byrnes mould. He has had a tough run with injuries, but now he is fit and playing he will need to show marked improvement and effort this year to keep out of the sights of SOS.

Last edited:
The average age and games played just for the playing list would be in our favour considerably right?

Just on the lineups playing this week, there's a fair gap in the averages:

StKEss
Age25y 1m26y 3m
Games93.2110.6
< 50 games84

Just on the lineups playing this week, there's a fair gap in the averages:

StKEss
Age25y 1m26y 3m
Games93.2110.6
< 50 games84
Sloth Dmv GIF

Yes Essendon not playing their kids.

On their board a number of posters are not at all happy that despite not being a genuine threat this year, that they are not playing much youth, but are rather going for the same old faces who are either past it or are going nowhere.

From the last three drafts they indicate they only have 1.

However we have Nas, Pou, Owens, Windy, Wilson and Hastie all in our 23. But I reckon you can add Caminiti to that lot to make it 7. That all helps to make us very young and very inexperienced. But what an exciting future.

Last edited:
Yes Essendon not playing their kids.

On their board a number of posters are not at all happy that despite not be a genuine threat this year, that they are not playing much youth, but are rather going for the same old faces who are either past it or are going nowhere.

From the last three drafts they indicate they only have 1.

However we have Nas, Pou, Owens, Windy, Wilson and Hastie all in our 23. But I reckon you can add Caminiti to that lot to make it 7. That all helps to make us very young and very inexperienced. But what an exciting future.
For a year of exploration, last year's injury woes were probably a blessing in disguise.

With Hastie getting a debut, I reckon we can assume we'll see our entire 2023 crop on the field at some stage this year. Prior to round 1, would've guessed that Collard or Hastie would be the last of the group to debut (and maybe not even this year).

Still surprised Garcia hasn't gotten a chance, but we'll see him soon. Can't imagine Arie not getting a shot by the end of the season either.

Hotton is the one. This week should have been tailor made for a game.

Van es unlucky with injuries. Just can’t get a crack. They like what he brings when he does.

Keeler needs more time.

I like the look of Van Es, he's got Carlisle vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back