Preview Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda - GMHBA Stadium, Saturday 16th March, 7:30PM AEDT *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 62 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's some quality track watching mate. Well done.

Fairly surprised to see Collard in so early, but very exciting. I'm loving how much Ross is backing the kids
I think he's either the perfect sub or perfect speedy forward. Ross can see that guys like Pou, Collard and Wilson are ready and need time. It's pretty awesome to see how Ross has shifted from not being able to rebuild or develop a list to really pushing these youngings. Allwe have to do is look at Fyfe, Brayshaw, Neale Walters etc etc.

Looking at the two line ups it is an extraordinary match up across the whole ground. On neutral territory it's a coin flip. Geelong has a 2 goal home ground advantage. I can see us overcoming that with our run. Hoping nerves don't mean we start slow and have to play catchup.

We have the starting foundations of a prelim final side. Not sure if that's this year but I'm going to enjoy watching us all around the country.

Let's Go you Sainters!

I'm excited for the game but people should probably cool down on this whole "Ross is picking the kids from now on, seniority means nothing" mentality. The only players with any notable experience who were not selected are Jones (coming off interrupted pre season) and Campbell (only plays if Marshall is unavailable). Much like last year, new faces are getting a gig due to injuries.

I've always enjoyed us playing the Cats. Not a traditional rival, but our teams have played off in some of the most memorable games in modern history. Surely with the new stand and capacity Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon will make their way down the highway?

I don't expect to win, but I think Geelong are at their most gettable in a while and I think they are underrating us a bit. It should be a cracking game.

I'm excited for the game but people should probably cool down on this whole "Ross is picking the kids from now on, seniority means nothing" mentality. The only players with any notable experience who were not selected are Jones (coming off interrupted pre season) and Campbell (only plays if Marshall is unavailable). Much like last year, new faces are getting a gig due to injuries.
I agree to a point, if Butler wasn’t underdone Collard wouldn’t be in…on the flip side, I reckon Wilson would’ve been picked even with no injuries!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the two line ups it is an extraordinary match up across the whole ground. On neutral territory it's a coin flip. Geelong has a 2 goal home ground advantage. I can see us overcoming that with our run. Hoping nerves don't mean we start slow and have to play catchup.

We have the starting foundations of a prelim final side. Not sure if that's this year but I'm going to enjoy watching us all around the country.

Let's Go you Sainters!
I doubt there’s many supporters that would be critical of our selections.
The temptation to pick underdone players such as Jones, Butler & Sinclair has been resisted.
It’s a tough gig getting Geelong at home first up but the boss will have us up for the challenge!

Our Reserves are playing a practice match, also down at Geelong, but at a different venue. Are our underdone players getting match practice does anybody know?

In the video where Collard's debut was announced to the group, Ross said the 22 had all picked themselves and then had Membery announce Collard was the 23rd. Got the feeling that meant he was the sub.
That's exactly how I took it. Not sure how you could see it any other way. Wouldn't think Collard would be up for a full game just yet

About to head down the highway. First time down at the cattery. Reckon we are a great hope of bringing back the 4 points tomorrow. Great to see another couple of debutants and more kids filling the emergency slots as well.

Really hopeful we can run them off their legs. Their forward line worries me a bit still so our team defense needs to stand up.

Enjoy the weekend all, let's have a win!

ac896abd2d78695d188bdd518bbc77e5.jpeg First time down at the cattery. Reckon we are a great hope of bringing back the 4 points tomorrow. Great to see another couple of debutants and more kids filling the emergency slots as well.

Really hopeful we can run them off their legs. Their forward line worries me a bit still so our team defense needs to stand up.

Enjoy the weekend all, let's have a win!
Is this your method of travel as you do know the game is tomorrow night not tonight ;)

I know i will cop it from some but looking at their team on paper is still a bloody strong side , i don't care if some a are getting long in the tooth its not going to be easy beating them IMO

If we want to be a fairdinkum contender this season, then we need to start by getting a win at Geelong for a change. Home ground advantage is one thing, but it's not an excuse to roll over and let the Cats do their own thing.

Winning down there would be a great start to year, but its a big test for a young side playing on a ground where we havent won for 25 years. We will give a great contest and we all hope for a win, but realistically how many games do they lose down there. Its a long season we dont need to spill all our chips on game one, hence RTB giving a number of first 22 players time to build their fitness.

In short Im suggesting we dont fall into the trap of judging our overall season on one game!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back