Preview Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood - MCG, Thursday 21st March, 7:30PM AEDT *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Magpies

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sinclair needs to play as a fulltime mid-

He may not be able to.

Personally, I think he is better suited to have bursts through there.

As a mid sometimes Sincs has been very good for us, but equally sometimes little or no impact at the ballups..

We could try him there, but he may not be good enough to excel as a mid fulltime.

One of Sincs greatest abilities is his ability to read the play in space, and to know where to get to and when, and then to choose really good options.

In the midfield everything happens very quickly, and you have to be able to do the right thing very quickly. Most cannot. Just because Sincs is exceptional at HB does not make him a lock to be a full time mid. They are very different positions. Though yes we have see some HBs transform into good mids.

we have plenty of cover for him off half back.

Yes there are options. but Sincs at HBF is exceptionally good both offensively and defensively. Bonner is not. Nas looks like he will be, but you also need two HBs.

Sins is both a weapon and a stopper down back.

The one thing I noticed watching Geelongs young mids is they all have speed and speed of movement. Its something we seriously need to inject into our midfield and until we do the club and RTB are kidding themselves believing they can become contenders by stacking our defence. RTB is known for being stubborn and inflexible with his player selections and Im really concerned that has re-surfaced.

Having said the above if he pulls the right levers in the midfield against the Pies he will give us a chance, otherwise it will be a tough ask to etch out a win.

He may not be able to.

As a mid sometimes Sincs has been very good for us, but equally sometimes little or no impact at the ballups..

We could try him there, but he may not be good enough to excel as a mid fulltime.

One of Sincs greatest abilities is his ability to read the play in space, and to know where to get to and when, and then to choose really good options.

In the midfield everything happens very quickly, and you have to be able to do the right thing very quickly. Most cannot. Just because Sincs is exceptional at HB does not make him a lock to be a full time mid. They are very different positions. Though yes we have see some HBs transform into good mids.

Yes there are options. but Sincs at HBF is exceptionally good both offensively and defensively. Bonner is not. Nas looks like he will be, but you also need two HBs.

Yes it was noticable that we lacked his cool calm head last week.

He may not be able to.

Gets the ball moving very quickly and generally makes good decisions. Imo it’s his ability to move the ball on so quickly that opens up the opposition for us. That’s what can be easily replaced and imo Sinclair is good rather than great as a mid.

The one thing I noticed watching Geelongs young mids is they all have speed and speed of movement. Its something we seriously need to inject into our midfield and until we do the club and RTB are kidding themselves believing they can become contenders by stacking our defence. RTB is known for being stubborn and inflexible with his player selections and Im really concerned that has re-surfaced.

Having said the above if he pulls the right levers in the midfield against the Pies he will give us a chance, otherwise it will be a tough ask to etch out a win.
The coaches did adapt during the game though? Pou got pulled from centre bounces after half time, Henry was thrown into all the bounces at the end of the third.

The coaches did adapt during the game though? Pou got pulled from centre bounces after half time, Henry was thrown into all the bounces at the end of the third.
Loved that Henry was given a chance, would be good for someone like Zones take him under his wing & give him a few pointers on how to play as an outside midfielder. Henry on the move through the centre would be a thing of beauty.

Loved that Henry was given a chance, would be good for someone like Zones take him under his wing & give him a few pointers on how to play as an outside midfielder. Henry on the move through the centre would be a thing of beauty.

Henry would be perfect as an inside/outside mid, but he needs a left foot to play inside or he'll get caught with the ball more than he should.

He may not be able to.

last time we tried Sincs full time mid, it didnt work.

It took WAY TOO LONG to react and make the changes, half the damage had been done by that time. RTB is a smart operator, but he is also very stubborn and bloody minded at times, so we will see if he has ability to learn from the Geelong game.

Yes it was noticable that we lacked his cool calm head last week.
What was far more noticeable was how the ball lived in geelongs forward half the whole game because our midfield was getting pantsed.

It wont matter how cool and calm sinclair is off half back if the ball is in our defence most of the game.

Plus- with the ball living in our defensive half all game- sinclair will be just as rushed as everyone else, his inclusion will make little difference to the result if our midfield continue to be so poor.

last time we tried Sincs full time mid, it didnt work.

Hasn't had a proper run at it.

This time last year v collingwood- sincs was thrown into the midfield, and had 20 possies and a goal- in a half.
He's shown he can do it- and has all the tools required- elite hands, speed, vision endurance etc.

Battle and acres are excellent recent examples of how players don't show what they are capable of when not given proper time to own a position.

Hasn't had a proper run at it.

This time last year v collingwood- sincs was thrown into the midfield, and had 20 possies and a goal- in a half.
He's shown he can do it- and has all the tools required- elite hands, speed, vision endurance etc.

Battle and acres are excellent recent examples of how players don't show what they are capable of when not given proper time to own a position.

The issue with those examples is Battle and Acres hadn't really succeeded at any position until they were given the opportunity in a new position. Sinclair is a two-time AA B&F winning HBF.

If Stocker gets up for tomorrow, then Sinclair should spend some time in the game in the midfield, but I think the main variable affecting that would be if Windy is sent to Daicos on a hard tag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I hate about ‘Special Games’ is that - and it’s probably just my image - is the tedious speeches and the ‘heavy and gravity - laden’ atmosphere of the pregame ..bringing in legends for speeches pregame etc. I imagine it is not conducive of getting a positive, uplifting and energized mindset pre-game. I dread this!! Spuds game against Essendon was the worst. They bought in legends for speeches etc. and St Kilda hit absolutely smashed Oit of the gate. From the moment Josh Battle was wrong footed in the first minutes, I knew the season was shot! And it was. Anyone remember that game. Very sad. Several careers took a turn for the worse that day, and a promising season went off the rails big time!

Not a chance in hell Ross will be sub in his 200th game, and fair enough also. Often much maligned, I know he has his floors, but he has been one of a handful consistent contributors for the club through some very dark times since 2012. A 2x club champion, needs to be treated with some respect.

I sure hope he has floors. Otherwise his house would be pretty dangerous or sumfin. Tss tss.

Time to look at sacking Ross Lyon because he inherited an appalling midfield.

A ripe piece of sarcasm what a ridiculous comment. The issue is he keeps going back to the same inept players and plays injured players when there are other options. He had other options and it wasnt until late in the 3rd quarter last week that he tried them...and only then for brief periods.

Most of us love RTB, but like all of us he is not perfect!

Last edited:
What I hate about ‘Special Games’ is that - and it’s probably just my image - is the tedious speeches and the ‘heavy and gravity - laden’ atmosphere of the pregame ..bringing in legends for speeches pregame etc. I imagine it is not conducive of getting a positive, uplifting and energized mindset pre-game. I dread this!! Spuds game against Essendon was the worst. They bought in legends for speeches etc. and St Kilda hit absolutely smashed Oit of the gate. From the moment Josh Battle was wrong footed in the first minutes, I knew the season was shot! And it was. Anyone remember that game. Very sad. Several careers took a turn for the worse that day, and a promising season went off the rails big time!
✅✅
Well put!
I too dread these games & won't attend

At the same age, Cripps was much faster off the mark, carried the ball further and was more nimble for his size. I would like every new young player we get to be a midfield star, but in reality only a few are naturals for that position.

Maybe not at the same age. Cripps had an unspectacular first year but hit the ground running in his second year.

What was far more noticeable was how the ball lived in geelongs forward half the whole game because our midfield was getting pantsed.

It wont matter how cool and calm sinclair is off half back if the ball is in our defence most of the game.

Plus- with the ball living in our defensive half all game- sinclair will be just as rushed as everyone else, his inclusion will make little difference to the result if our midfield continue to be so poor.
Agree with that - if Sincs can improve our midfield it will keep the ball more in our control and hopefully heading into our forward 50 with some nice disposal - big improvement on busting a gut and sticking a finger in the dam wall trying to defend multiple inside 50’s! I’ve even heard RTB talk about the defence being overwhelmed and exhausted by repeat I50 entries.

The only caveat I have is that Sincs has missed a lot of footy including the trial games - got to be a bit realistic about how much impact he can have first up - though after a few weeks I still think he can make a real difference with more midfield time.

Oh and by the way, if someone in the marketing department hasn't taken a bow yet, I really think they should:

View attachment 1933507

My son has taken over my car since he got his licence. He put that thing in it and it smells like rat poison mixed with urinal cakes. I threw it away and the car still smells like a street hooker's K-Mart perfume in a chemical factory.

Not optimistic at all about this one, can't help but feel we're going to get smashed out of the middle and we'll be on the back foot for the whole game.

Webster is a big loss with Collingwoods dangerous smalls, especially with Stocker potentially still sore. Our small backs are great offensively but not the most accountable.

Like most, I'll spew if I see Steele, Crouch and Ross in the centre contests together.

Also like most, I'm begging to see Owens get some time as a pure inside mid, but it seems he is seen as a utility at this point in his career and unlikely to change.

One area I think we can have an advantage is in our forward line, we've got some dangerous talls. I hope Sharman plays an accountable role on Moore and that Membrey and King can get off the leash a bit.

Tipping the pies by around 4 goals, hoping I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back