Autopsy Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Byrnes is physically stronger now..one observation I’ve noticed watching him in match sim is his kicking on the run is more precise on his left!
Thursday night was just his 50th game.
We just need to hold off on making major judgements on players so early.
There's not too many Judd, Rowell, Darcy Wilson types in history.

The hoo ha over Snags' goal from the boundary is quite amusing. Clearly they have no understanding of how parallax error plays into the view of the ball in relation to the boundary line marking.

The ball is not on the same plane as the boundary. It sits above it. The ideal place to accurately view the position of the ball in relation to the line is 90 degrees perpendicular to the play. This is why a good goal umpire will locate themself on the goaline when judging whether the ball has crossed the line.

If the view in the case of Snags' kick is to the left of perpendicular it wlll give the impression that the ball is further to the right. If the view is to the left of perpendicular it will look like the ball is further left.

The camera angle makes the ball look as though it is further to the right than it actually is. In all likelihood a correction of that angle would reveal a good portion of the ball over the line at the point it was kicked. The boundary umpires in this case are located closer to perpendicular than the camera and therefore have a better view of the ball's actual location. Play on. Goal of the year!

The hoo ha over Snags' goal from the boundary is quite amusing. Clearly they have no understanding of how parallax error plays into the view of the ball in relation to the boundary line marking.

The ball is not on the same plane as the boundary. It sits above it. The ideal place to accurately view the position of the ball in relation to the line is 90 degrees perpendicular to the play. This is why a good goal umpire will locate themself on the goaline when judging whether the ball has crossed the line.

If the view in the case of Snags' kick is to the left of perpendicular it wlll give the impression that the ball is further to the right. If the view is to the left of perpendicular it will look like the ball is further left.

The camera angle makes the ball look as though it is further to the right than it actually is. In all likelihood a correction of that angle would reveal a good portion of the ball over the line at the point it was kicked. The boundary umpires in this case are located closer to perpendicular than the camera and therefore have a better view of the ball's actual location. Play on. Goal of the year!
Notwithstanding all your scientific evidence and explanation…
The boundary umpire was in the perfect spot.

Andrew Dillon should get a please explain from the Umps committee about his response when asked the question.
His body language and expression was far from convincing in his “support” of the umpires. Not a good look.

Hope it doesn’t rob Higgins of his shot at goal of the year.

I’ve watched the replay a couple of times now, and I’m with George. Those free kicks were 100% there, even if some were 50/50. If Collingwoods players focussed more on winning the ball, and not scragging or going the man, they wouldn’t have given so many away.

We’re a much better team when we get the ball out and run.

On Kings suspension, I’ve looked at it multiple times, and whilst it was silly on his part, I’m failing to see how it’s worth a week. My daughter whacks me harder when I put a blue rug on her horse instead of the pink one 😂

Mitch’s kicking is his weakness. It’s not awful, but it can be inconsistent. Yet to kick one this year.

If he doesn’t put the work in there then he runs the risk of wasting his looks.

Right now he’s closer to Justin Westhoff than Jeremy Cameron. I hope he can really improve his kicking.
In this interview - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1091460...owens-far-from-monstered-in-giant-ruck-battle

Mitch says -
"I focused on a bit of everything over summer. Fitness, strength, I worked really hard on my contest and marking, and just keep working on my goalkicking and general kicking," Owens said.

We just have to hope that his kicking will improve over time. It's easy to be impatient but our future rides on the backs of a group of kids.

I’ve watched the replay a couple of times now, and I’m with George. Those free kicks were 100% there, even if some were 50/50. If Collingwoods players focussed more on winning the ball, and not scragging or going the man, they wouldn’t have given so many away.

On Kings suspension, I’ve looked at it multiple times, and whilst it was silly on his part, I’m failing to see how it’s worth a week. My daughter whacks me harder when I put a blue rug on her horse instead of the pink one 😂
I think it showed the Pies couldn’t go with the run …second to the footy …and some of those older blokes….a season is a Lo g time….the cliffs come quick

I think that we got all the 50/50s which is rare for us and certainly made me think we got a decent little ride from the umps.

They also missed a couple for the pies (there was a front on contact one they didn’t get inside their 50) which probably makes it look more like we got the rub of the green.

Ultimately you’re right, they scrapped and scragged and the free kicks were all there, they just often don’t pay those ones. I also think they missed a couple of very obvious 50s for us, Pies blokes scragging on the mark or coming well past the mark, Howe had one in the second quarter that would have been 50 under the old rules let alone the new ones, not paid.

Thursday night was just his 50th game.
We just need to hold off on making major judgements on players so early.
There's not too many Judd, Rowell, Darcy Wilson types in history.
Yep some players just need to wait till they develop and grow - being only 22 the way he has improved from year 1 he could be one of our better players for many years , knowing how hard the kid works - like Goddard said he was the guy that impressed the most in preseason and Goddard is one who doesn't give out to many accolades.

Yeah, Collingwood supporters still squeal about the Harmes tap on…which is the best single act of play I’ve ever seen in the 59 years I’ve been following footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As bloody frustrating as the injuries and Max’s suspension are, let’s remember how we did with our cobbled together forward line last year.
Caminiti, Garcia, Arie and Collard now have a chance to stand up.
And Butler should be back you’d think.

Don’t follow vfl too much. What exactly is happening with Keeler, Van Ess, Hotton and Max H? I know there’ve been injuries for some, but is the generally feeling that any of them will make it?

Keeler looks closest. Van Es is injured but think he’s a Carlisle clone and might be a good player.

The free before that against the pies Player (I think Cox) where the Zen Master held it tight into his guts and he got pinged was funny
Was that the one BT blew up over because he didn’t drag it in, just fell on it?

Like, that’s been the rule for years Braaaaaaaaaan get over it

Improvement isn't linear. Watching the replay he was absolutely friggn everywhere and he made a big impact not allowing the pies any clean possessions. Time will take care of the rest.
One of the games I went at Marvel last year, Ronnie was on fire all game, lace out bullet passes at speed, both in general play and delivering I50. He has the skills and the pace they were both on display that game.

I agree on Byrnes as a barometer but starting to think we've been harsh, he's a pretty good inside 50 kick and his run and speed are elite. I think it's like buying a $50 pair of shoes that outperform you $300 Nikes, because we didn't pay much we play down his contribution. Without Wood we might need his run on the wings and it gives him opportunity to showcase his wares.

The Bonner message is a good sign he's changed a lot. He's very clear about how much autonomy he gives his line coaches as well. He sounds more like a football manager than an old fashioned head coach these days.

Agree around Byrnes, flies under the radar and just such a hard worker. I wonder whether there’s a bit of good cop bad cop with RTB. He was clear about getting out of the weeds, empowering his coaching staff more, and seems to have really learnt a lot in that space with a young list.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

tbf she is a pretty big jordan peterson fan

tenor.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back