Autopsy Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

I just wanted to say Congrats, watched the game. I have a soft spot for the Saints. I love ❤️ the recruiting ,i think it has been spot on and would love at some point soon next couple of years to see the Saints win a long overdue premiership. If any club deserves a premiership its the Saints. They are my 2nd favourite 😻 team and i wish the Saints everything possible in the upcoming games. PROPS AND KUDOS TO THE PLAYERS A MAGNIFICENT WIN AGAINST THE PIES.

I just wanted to say Congrats, watched the game. I have a soft spot for the Saints. I love ❤️ the recruiting ,i think it has been spot on and would love at some point soon next couple of years to see the Saints win a long overdue premiership. If any club deserves a premiership its the Saints. They are my 2nd favourite 😻 team and i wish the Saints everything possible in the upcoming games. PROPS AND KUDOS TO THE PLAYERS A MAGNIFICENT WIN AGAINST THE PIES.
Good good now do us all a favour and win next week would ya 😘

Thanks mate, I was cheering on the Brisbane Lions in the GF against the Pies last year, hopefully you can beat them next Thursday night.

It would be great to see the Pies go Owen Four, they are both our clubs No.1 enemy.

Last edited:
late to the party after a late night getting home and a busy day.

Just watched the RTB press conference

The Bonner one gives anyone with any concerns about a Ross 2.0 and his change. He's grown enormously as a coach.

"I sent a message, don't go back in your shell we bought you here for your run and your kick..."

"When I spoke to him at quarter time he lit up.... he smiled"

"we don't kick em"

Apart from that I'm with all the comments though I'll say this.

If Ronnie gets a bit more confidence to just "go" with his kicking then he will go from an edge of our best 23 to inside our top 10 with a bullet.

At the moment he stops, props and kicks the ball high down the line which kills his unbelievable running and ball gathering skills.

I really hope he can start to feel safe in the team and make some kicks that his speed deserves to open up the ground. And with that get confident.

He's the one for me that will be our barometer of moving forward as I feel that it's going to be sheer hard work compared to his abundantly talented team mates.

If he bridges the gap to them then oh my...

late to the party after a late night getting home and a busy day.

Just watched the RTB press conference

The Bonner one gives anyone with any concerns about a Ross 2.0 and his change. He's grown enormously as a coach.

"I sent a message, don't go back in your shell we bought you here for your run and your kick..."

"When I spoke to him at quarter time he lit up.... he smiled"

"we don't kick em"

Apart from that I'm with all the comments though I'll say this.

If Ronnie gets a bit more confidence to just "go" with his kicking then he will go from an edge of our best 23 to inside our top 10 with a bullet.

At the moment he stops, props and kicks the ball high down the line which kills his unbelievable running and ball gathering skills.

I really hope he can start to feel safe in the team and make some kicks that his speed deserves to open up the ground. And with that get confident.

He's the one for me that will be our barometer of moving forward as I feel that it's going to be sheer hard work compared to his abundantly talented team mates.

If he bridges the gap to them then oh my...
Despite the fools in here our coach obviously sees plenty in young Mr Byrnes. He's been getting better every game for the last 12 months.

Despite the fools in here our coach obviously sees plenty in young Mr Byrnes. He's been getting better every game for the last 12 months.
I like him. He’s a go-er.

His quick handball between the centre square edge and the 50m arc that lead to the goal was sexually elite
yep. so much to like. a diamond with the RTB polishing and BJ kicking training. elite🤞

I like him. He’s a go-er.

He does the grunt work to shovel it out to our stars, a Clint Jones style worker bee, they can't all be stars but Byrnes is a good worker bee.

Finally got time to watch the replay. Just awesome! Here are my thoughts;

The Pies are no rabble, but we got them at the perfect time, they played poorly at times and they are not as well drilled as they have been when they've been humming.

Generally we got really lucky in that match. I'm not saying we didn't play well or didn't deserve to win, but stuff that usually evades us absolutely fell our way for a refreshing change. I'm tallking 50/50 umpire decisions, the bounce of the ball, and as stated catching an elite team at the right time.

We are not a polished team by any stretch of the imagination, plenty of fumbling, needless errors and ineffective tackling - but what won the game were a great setup, 100% buy in from all players, persistence and mental resilience; I was impressed especially with the latter, in a blockbuster that has traditionally meant mental collapse from our players, the opposition asked tough questions and our boys didn't choke. Great to see.

Loved reading the reactions on Collingwood board gameday thread, specifically about Leigh Fisher. They really showed their ignorance of his umpiring history claiming that he's in Ross's pocket (Unless?... Maybe he was traditionally hard on us when we had Richo or Ratts because he was trying to expedite their sackings in order to get RTB back in the hotseat - there is definitely Saints smoke and shadows behind the mirrors and the shady cabal of powerful ex-players continues to twist fate in our direction) But yes! I agree - they should take Fisher off Saints games in the future, especially since he's going to have to prove again that he has no alliegance to us by being extra-punitive. I thought that the Pies fans on that thread didn't really give our club enough respect, but...

... It's obvious that this club is not going to get much respect from opposition, neutrals, media or the AFL world, barring lip service. The AFL world has decided that we play ugly footy and Lyon is a blight on the game, (Unlike our ex-coach Blight who is considered a lion of the game, ha). I've given up caring, but it does lead to annoying reactions to our games. Might as well get ready for it, every win will be because the other team played badly, every free kick we get will come with implied suggestions of cheating, every triumph will be because we got lucky or scrapped our way to the top or whatever, and the club and its fans will continue to be patronised by everyone else: "It's great to see those long-suffering Saints fans finally feel some joy for once, they surely deserve it, just as long as they stay grateful for whatever success they are lucky enough to get and don't get big headed enough to believe they are as good as us" blah blah blah. We will never be lauded as true elite while Ross is in charge. Let's hope that we make our own history and opinions of the ignorant don't dilute its importance.

Specific notes on players:

I think the importance of Zac Jones's contribution is often unnoticed by many. He has a huge impact with his link up play and spread; I'm rapt to have him back in the team, and if his injuries are behind him, than there may be a few of our other mindfielders who might be waiting for their chance a while.

There was one moment I loved some time in the 3Q where Windy ferociously tackled 2 oppo players and then Owens steamed in and not to be outdone, ferociously tackled another Pies player. If I knew how to make GIFs from WatchAFL videos, that's one that I'd make. Beautiful to watch, finally.

Having Sharman and Marshall running back to clog up the backline is proving very effective, it's a great weapon to have.

Sad to see Wood and Henry will miss the next few games, what other wingers do we have ready to replace them? Henry in particular has been electric and vital since his first inclusion, I wish him a speedy recovery because we will really miss him.

Marshall is one of those player that I notice their stuff ups more than their good play. I know he's great for us and probably one of our best players, but every turnover, ineffective tackle or missed goal (or mark lol) makes me hope that Moose or Keeler can get developed quickly. But I was also the fool questioning how good NWM really was, so maybe I should just relax and enjoy the game!

Such an even spread from our group, I ran through the team in my head last night and was hard pressed to identify players who were passengers. I guess Mattaes and Darcy had off nights, but it's great experience in a blockbuster with a huge rabid oppo crowd and loud Saints crowd too!

I hope us fans don't get carried away; just as it wasn't a disaster when the Cats beat us, it isn't a fait accompli just because we kicked the Pies while they were down.

There was one moment I loved some time in the 3Q where Windy ferociously tackled 2 oppo players and then Owens steamed in and not to be outdone, ferociously tackled another Pies player. If I knew how to make GIFs from WatchAFL videos, that's one that I'd make. Beautiful to watch, finally.

I posted this several pages back

zO42vHB.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did he make contact to the head?
No (seen another angle) but the intent, impact and clear no intention of contesting the ball would arguably fit that shitty little MRP matrix considering marking puts players in a vulnerable position

Intentional - medium contact - body

By the matrix is officially a 1 match ban

I posted this several pages back

zO42vHB.gif

One photoshopped gif can speak louder than a thousand words.

As I said before it was like watching a couple of young crocodiles pouncing on a couple of German tourists that went too close to the river,

What a win. Reaffirms my belief that we win last week if Owens went through the midfield.

NAS might already be our most important player. Tall, brave, quick and one of the best kicks in the comp.
Windhager has a special ability to break free of pressure with some nice moves and seems to have great core strength.

Still think we can afford to play Caminiti or Hayes as another tall, especially if Owens is going to have more mid time.

I want to shout out our supporters at the games, we are getting louder and louder every game as we build belief. Last week we honestly sounded louder then the cats fans and last night we matched the Pies for voice. Keep it going!

Massive pre game nerves going into this one. I’m too invested, need to calm down a bit.
The best part of the night was when my Collingwood supporting mate texted me after the game, Owen, to humbly help me kick the song off. And I replied Owen three 😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😁😁😂😂😂😂

As much as I love us getting the spotlight, I could not enjoy that game at any stage. Watching the replay was so satisfying though!

WTF is it with injuries and St Kilda? We get one back and lose two plus King if we cant over turn his suspension. After watching the VFL today we are pretty thin as far as depth goes. Shoenmaker could possibly play the Bonner role and as mentioned move Bonner up to a wing. Butler is not ready but I guess he could stand up if required to fill Henry's position. If the King suspension stands I guess Caminiti is the player to fill the hole.

Crouch is no where near ready he is still playing with a very suspect knee.
Black cats....broken mirrors.....bone waving.....who knows.

It's rather deflating !!!!!!!!

Was down Moorabbin way so dropped in for a look at Sandy playing.....it built up to quite a good crowd.

What's with Sandy..........they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.....yet again !!!!!!!

I went into the function room to watch a bit of the replay of Thursday nights game(can't stop watching it...lol) and ran smack bang into RTB.....Hilly......Henry and Michael Walters(quickly checked my phone to see if Freo was in town this weekend....if not,I was ready to press the "rumor file" button.

I couldn't help but wonder if RTB was trying to cheer Henry up(his right thigh was heavily bandaged)....Ross was in a very very jovial mood.

I'm sure he had a very very tasty Pie for dinner the night before...... ;)

While watching the big screen,I heard the number 8 spoken....my heart absolutely sank.......I knew what that number was in reference to.

I found out a little later that 6 weeks is the forecast.

Anyway....as Steely above mentioned.......Hammer may be in for the Ess game.....he took some very good contested marks.

Arie took his usual quota of "hangers"

Butler was moving ok....kicked a magnificent goal in the first qtr....on 50....near the boundary.

Crouch went off at half time....injured or precautionary.....I don't know.

Just listened to Cornes and King talk about the game - they talked for 12 minutes about the game - the first 10 was all about how poor the Pies were - only one Saint was mentioned in that time (compared to about the whole Pies squad) and that was how Seb Ross shut down DeGoey.

The last 2 minutes King gave us a big wrap - said we are way better than last year.
Cornes was a wait and see , saying we are about 3 stars short on being true premiership contenders - I must say it is to early to make any big calls but we do look far more dangerous than last year.
I did get a laugh that once they finally got around to acknowledging us, it was David King talking about how good Nas will be once he is moved to the midfield despite Ross directly telling him last night we had no plans to move Nas from half back any time soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back