Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ARIE SCHOENMAKER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Arie! SOS mentioned lots of development to come, I expect finding a position beyond being the 'go to' kick at junior level. After suspension showed great resilience to come back and tear it up in the league, other top Tassie draft picks talk of him attacking the gym with them across the off season, keep this attitude up and am sure we have something serious to work with.

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Shall be known as Stavs boy.

Kids going to be great in our colours.

Every AFL club would be happy to pick up a "highly rated" player who they think is in "the top two or three kicks" of the draft.
However, St Kilda were able to do that with the penultimate pick of Tuesday night's draft, selecting Launceston's Arie Schoenmaker with pick 62.

"With his height at 194cm, he's got good run and fairly good speed for his size, so we were happy to get him," St Kilda list manager Stephen Silvagni said.
"He's had some adversity early on in the year and had to go back and find some form and prove himself again, so that's a good sign.
"With kids, you want to see how they handle adversity a little bit and it's not all smooth for a lot of kids. He's 18 years of age, we've given him a chance and hopefully he takes that chance, because he's got some talent."
Schoenmaker's adversity came in the form of a 10-week ban for an alcohol-related indiscretion during a Tasmania Devils training camp, taking him out of Talent League matches.
That sent him back to Tasmanian State League club Launceston, where coach Mitch Thorp was waiting.
"We were quite firm initially with him and then wrapped our arms around him," Thorp said.
"Certainly being someone that's made a few mistakes myself, I wanted to make sure that he had all of the support he needed to get his footy and some of his behavioural habits on track.
"To his credit, under our watch, he was fantastic, he was super popular among his teammates and was a pleasure to coach.
"I was certainly sweating last night myself watching it with the family but when his name got read out, my young son jumped off the coach, he was pretty excited for him."

Schoenmaker has often credited Thorp for getting him back on track throughout the season and the Blues coach said he "couldn't be happier" for him as well as drafted clubmates Colby McKercher and James Leake.
In being drafted to the Saints, the left-footer farewelled a club he had been playing at since the age of seven.
Arie's father, Danny, thanked the club - in particular Thorp, director of football Scott Stephens and the core of senior teammates - for issuing him with "tough love, accountability and support at a key time".
"It genuinely takes a village to raise these kids at times and Arie's experience has brought that home to me very clearly," Schoenmaker said.
"There was a month-long period shortly after the event where I was genuinely concerned for Arie's emotional wellbeing - he was stressed, pretty flat and also caught a heavy flu.
"It wasn't a good time at all in what was shaping to be an exciting and important draft season.
"Both the Devils and Launceston FC provided professional pastoral care over the period of suspension but I strongly believe it was the Launnie boys that closed ranks around Arie that helped him the most."

Just saw a YouTube clip. My God what a boot.
Still very raw, decision making, very iffy, but holy hell does he open up a field.

If we can harness this he can break a zone, usually gets it over the pack and attacking players were getting it out the back into open space.
With the running team RTB wants, this is a huge asset to have for getting over defences in the back half and midfield to open up the forward half.
I am having visions of a huge amount of goals transitioning from defence.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping the kid can win his own ball…he tended to get fed the ball a lot in his junior career because of his kicking skills.
That will continue to happen but yes, agree- he'll need to learn to defend tightly first and then break for an attack or handball receive.

No better coach for him than Enright though!

Hoping the kid can win his own ball…he tended to get fed the ball a lot in his junior career because of his kicking skills.
If he learns to and becomes a….. great intercept mark

He will be an a grader.

He has the physical tools and the A grade kicking.

He doesn’t need to chase disposals. Just turn defence into attack

I don't think that's going to be his thing. Getting the ball to him in open space where he can go the Jeff Sarau seems a better use of his talent. The kick ins that go 70 meters and send the ball 2 kicks from goal are also pretty handy.

I don't think that's going to be his thing. Getting the ball to him in open space where he can go the Jeff Sarau seems a better use of his talent. The kick ins that go 70 meters and send the ball 2 kicks from goal are also pretty handy.
That was my main concern drafting Arie. If all he can be for us is the occasional long ball, he won't often have value in the starting 23. When you look at his draft profile it says "Defender" but under weaknesses it lists "Defensive Craft" or something like that. He's in good hands under Enright, hope he develops him into a useful player.

That was my main concern drafting Arie. If all he can be for us is the occasional long ball, he won't often have value in the starting 23. When you look at his draft profile it says "Defender" but under weaknesses it lists "Defensive Craft" or something like that. He's in good hands under Enright, hope he develops him into a useful player.

Gilbert was a defender. Sinclair and Naz are defenders too. You don't have to latch on these days. Just guarding space and closing holes and when needed halving a contest is enough. When you have inceptors, some will block space for them to free them up. If you watch the best team defences plenty have sacrificial types.

If he can play a role and then reload the ball into attack it's massive. It resets the line further back and other sides can't close us in. Brisbane did it to us this year where the ball just kept coming back in over and over. Having a line breaking kick lets you roost over them or sends that press a long way further back.

He looks raw AF, his positioning is off, and his decision making is poor.

He is 18, needs to be developed, who woulda thunk it?
Booming kick is a great asset but a player needs more than that.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's a bit better than you're suggesting IMO. The video that is the main source of people's opinion of him was one day where the conditions weren't ideal and his kicking looked a bit off. Plenty of those are every touch in a game too, not just a flashy highlights package.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back