Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ANGUS HASTIE!

Remove this Banner Ad

And answering Stocker first up as the player he wants to meet is really cool.

Yep I heard that. Really interesting. Shows some maturity I think.
Mutual love and respect ❤️

lw12auq.jpg

And answering Stocker first up as the player he wants to meet is really

Speaking of Liam Stocker, I got an invite to a function where Liam is on a panel of 3 speakers for a fundraiser:

The Modern Man
Enhancing health, resilience and performance.

Good for him for giving up his time for these types of things.

IMG_2702.jpeg

Damn does he has some serious wheels! A line breaker as good as any. Appears strong overhead and below his knees.

Disposal not totally clean at times yet at other times looks a weapon.

I am assuming the only reason he lasted to our pick is because nobody wants half back flankers no matter how good they look.

Getting Whitfield - Acres - Markov vibes but quicker!

With us losing Coffield, Highmore & Long in recent times, McClennan injury prone & Webster in the twilight, we did need defensive reinforcement.

We spent years trying to find attacking HBFs and ended up turning Sinclair into one and sending Nas back but apart from that we don't have many small and medium backs.

Webster and Paton as the accountable smalls
Nas and Sincs as rebounding attacking defenders.
Stocker and Clark as hybrid accountable/ attacking options. McLennan probably in this lot too.
Wilkie, Howard, Battle, Van Es and Cordy the KPBs.

If we have injury or move Sinclair on ball an extra rebound attacking option would be great. They can also be repurposed as wings or high half forwards.

Damn does he has some serious wheels! A line breaker as good as any. Appears strong overhead and below his knees.

Disposal not totally clean at times yet at other times looks a weapon.

I am assuming the only reason he lasted to our pick is because nobody wants half back flankers no matter how good they look.

Getting Whitfield - Acres - Markov vibes but quicker!
Going by Hastie’s interview, he kept slipping at take-off in his 20m sprint at the combine, causing him to be disqualified.

Looking at his explosive highlights, he may well have recorded the fastest 20m time of the combine had he run a ‘legal’ 20m. If that had happened, he probably would have ‘shot up the charts’ and been taken by someone else much earlier.

So maybe we were the lucky beneficiaries of his slipping.

We spent years trying to find attacking HBFs and ended up turning Sinclair into one and sending Nas back but apart from that we don't have many small and medium backs.

Webster and Paton as the accountable smalls
Nas and Sincs as rebounding attacking defenders.
Stocker and Clark as hybrid accountable/ attacking options. McLennan probably in this lot too.
Wilkie, Howard, Battle, Van Es and Cordy the KPBs.

If we have injury or move Sinclair on ball an extra rebound attacking option would be great. They can also be repurposed as wings or high half forwards.
There's a lot to like from his highlights package. Highmore was a great intercept mark but often landed awkwardly with the ball which stopped him from playing on either by hand or foot. And he wasn't quick, his kicking was poor and his decision making too slow. Coffield could do it all but simply didn't often enough. Probably due to very poor coaching and his role in a poor team. Would have played differently under this coaching team but it didn't happen.

Hastie seems beautifully balanced when taking the ball in the air or from the ground. That immediately gives him options of where to move the ball to. And having that fast response does not allow much time for the opposition to defend the next play. I expect he'll make a huge difference to our attack from defence. Would not be surprised to see him at halfback by mid-season.

There's a lot to like from his highlights package. Highmore was a great intercept mark but often landed awkwardly with the ball which stopped him from playing on either by hand or foot. And he wasn't quick, his kicking was poor and his decision making too slow. Coffield could do it all but simply didn't often enough. Probably due to very poor coaching and his role in a poor team. Would have played differently under this coaching team but it didn't happen.

Hastie seems beautifully balanced when taking the ball in the air or from the ground. That immediately gives him options of where to move the ball to. And having that fast response does not allow much time for the opposition to defend the next play. I expect he'll make a huge difference to our attack from defence. Would not be surprised to see him at halfback by mid-season.
Nice assessment

Going by Hastie’s interview, he kept slipping at take-off in his 20m sprint at the combine, causing him to be disqualified.

Looking at his explosive highlights, he may well have recorded the fastest 20m time of the combine had he run a ‘legal’ 20m. If that had happened, he probably would have ‘shot up the charts’ and been taken by someone else much earlier.

So you’re saying he literally slipped to our pick!

He also said the 20m sprint was the combine test he was most looking forward to.

Tom Stewart has that same elite pace that makes him a great interceptor across the half back line.

Ross the Boss game plan is heavily weighted towards attacking from turnover. Hastie could be the most important piece of the puzzle from this years draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you’re saying he literally slipped to our pick!

He also said the 20m sprint was the combine test he was most looking forward to.

Tom Stewart has that same elite pace that makes him a great interceptor across the half back line.

Ross the Boss game plan is heavily weighted towards attacking from turnover. Hastie could be the most important piece of the puzzle from this years draft.

I love his run and carry. Looks like peak Jason Johanissen mixed with the intercept game of Stewart.

That's what happens when your V8 is too powerful, you do burnouts, and the cops don't like it.

Congrats to Angus for his first game.

Looks like Sharman will play the whole game as a pure forward with Hastie to provide defensive backup.

Love to have seen Garcia get a run, but this kid has some serious skills that suit the game plan.

Congrats to Angus for his first game.

Looks like Sharman will play the whole game as a pure forward with Hastie to provide defensive backup.

Love to have seen Garcia get a run, but this kid has some serious skills that suit the game plan.

I didn't think Garcia did enough in the last VFL game to justify it.

I didn't think Garcia did enough in the last VFL game to justify it.
14 possessions, 14 tackles and a goal. I thought that might be enough for him to play as sub. Small pressure fwd if Butler starts to struggle fitness wise and he's got an idea of the centre square set ups.

No problems with Hastie - showed some class but very much outside runner.

Let's not expect too much from Angus- like Collard, it's more about getting a first hand look at what level he needs to reach to play senior footy, and clearly Lyon is looking at this type of player to develop.

I was devastated that we didn't get Cooper Simpson but after watching Hastie's highlights I think he's got a game style that suits us. He looks like an energetic type with some X factor. Hope he goes bananas and makes hard for them to drop him.

I was devastated that we didn't get Cooper Simpson but after watching Hastie's highlights I think he's got a game style that suits us. He looks like an energetic type with some X factor. Hope he goes bananas and makes hard for them to drop him.
I’ve been impressed with him at training but thought he needs to get a stronger body!
I believe it’s more a case of opportunism for Angus with both Wood & Henry being unavailable but hey, when opportunity knocks!
If Battle or Wilkie were unavailable it would be Arie we’d be talking about!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back