Autopsy Port v Melbourne review

Remove this Banner Ad

I just noticed Melbourne had 177 contested possessions to our 148.

They'll never play that way again for the entire year. That's finals intensity in a regular season match.

Goodwin must hate us as much as I hate him.

I wonder why other teams seem to have their best games against us? Are we seen as so easily beatable? Why was our pressure so good against teams earlier in the year yet we capitulated in that first quarter against Melbourne?
We changed from slingshot footy as we were supposedly found out yet now are we found out again?
Crows seem to have adapted and can go direct. Why can't we?
I definitely had an uneasy feeling when Melbourne said during the week that they had studied Port very carefully and had put things into place to counteract our game. Seems they were right.
Why the hell weren't we turned on in that first quarter?
Why did Boak, the captain, have his best game of the season yet others didn't follow his example?
I won't give up my hope yet but this team had to be the most frustrating group we have ever had. Thank goodness club is only giving out two year contracts now.

I wonder why other teams seem to have their best games against us? Are we seen as so easily beatable? Why was our pressure so good against teams earlier in the year yet we capitulated in that first quarter against Melbourne?
We changed from slingshot footy as we were supposedly found out yet now are we found out again?
Crows seem to have adapted and can go direct. Why can't we?
I definitely had an uneasy feeling when Melbourne said during the week that they had studied Port very carefully and had put things into place to counteract our game. Seems they were right.
Why the hell weren't we turned on in that first quarter?
Why did Boak, the captain, have his best game of the season yet others didn't follow his example?
I won't give up my hope yet but this team had to be the most frustrating group we have ever had. Thank goodness club is only giving out two year contracts now.

Mental toughness and motivation.

I wouldn't be so hard on Austin

You all do realise that first goal hogan kicked he ran back into Austin without eyes for the ball and as Austin was in the air taking the mark shoved him in the chest. He waltzed into a free goal while Austin had the stuffing knocked out of him from landing on his back. Took him half an hr to collect himself. Even hogan couldn't believe he got away with it as he waltzed into open goal he quickly turned back and stopped to check if the ref was gonna pay the obvious free.

Should not have lost his feet in a couple of contests later. He definitely needs to step up a bit better but is not anywhere near as bad as some are making out.

Still think Hombsch should come into him this week but this is a fair post. I did notice the commentators mentioned that Hogan didn't take a mark until halfway through the third quarter, yet he'd kicked three goals by then.

The ball barracked for Melbourne that day. I don't know if Melbourne do an 'all the goals' vid like we do, but I bet if they did we'd see at least 5 or 6 occasions of a Melbourne goal coming from a ball hitting the ground and bouncing straight into a Melbourne player's arms like it was magnetised there. Austin didn't have his best day but he was also unlucky at times. So were a few other defenders.

Also - players coming back from injury always have a great game the first week back cause they are fresh and running on adrenaline.

Could somebody please inform Matthew Broadbent of this?

Last edited:
So are we supposed to just accept the fact that we're a rung below the top tier teams and deal with it? Even though the top tier teams include teams like Adelaide and Geelong who on no objective measure have our playing list covered for talent man for man?

We've got a relatively mature team stacked full of first round draft picks and experienced players traded in on big money to fill the gaps. We've got a coach in his fifth season surrounded by support staff and resources at least on par with every other club and well exceeding some. The club has never been in a better position to challenge. And yet here we are, as ordinary as ever, fighting to somehow finish above superpowers like Essendon and St Kilda in the race for that coveted 8th position.
I'm just as annoyed with our performance as others. My post was just an assessment of where I think our club sits compared to our competition. It hurts to say that Port is a second tier club right now. We should really be in the top tier after all the promise we showed in 2014.

Last edited:
I just noticed Melbourne had 177 contested possessions to our 148.

They'll never play that way again for the entire year. That's finals intensity in a regular season match.

Goodwin must hate us as much as I hate him.

I don't think Goodwin hates us to the point he'll go all in for the Port match but I do think it's possible they intentionally held players back to maximise their chances of beating Port (or whoever their next opponent at the MCG was) instead of applying the same effort to Adelaide in the NT. It was a calculated gamble that paid off for them. They'll need to back it up and win next week to bank the profits and as they're coming up against North they should be able to. Probably why they were happy to play at such a high intensity.

I don't think Goodwin hates us to the point he'll go all in for the Port match but I do think it's possible they intentionally held players back to maximise their chances of beating Port (or whoever their next opponent at the MCG was) instead of applying the same effort to Adelaide in the NT. It was a calculated gamble that paid off for them. They'll need to back it up and win next week to bank the profits and as they're coming up against North they should be able to. Probably why they were happy to play at such a high intensity.

I agree with this. Tyson and Watts were held out of that Darwin clash to be cherry ripe for us.

Help me out here, why is Goodwin so hated on here?

I know he played for the Crows but are there certain things he said or did in the past?

Nope. Some people here are just like that. He was a excellent player and turning out to be just that as a coach.

He was a good player rather than the great player the Adelaide media made him out to be

Rode on the coat tails of a fairly stacked midfield

Always seems smug as * in any dealings with the media

Always retained the smugness and 's**t can't touch me gloss' and was protected by the media and Adelaide's grannies and one of the first "good blokes" despite a history of behaviour that said otherwise ie gambling furore which cost him all of 20k and didn't even miss a week of footy (a bit of personal embarrassment etc but punishment by way of afl was Lenient as * for betting on afl football and crows didn't do anything)

And I would not say there is much hatred here for Goodwin at all. I would describe most of it as indifference and some just don't like him. Lol, there is more hatred for guys like pittard and lobbe on here than Goodwin

Still think Hombsch should come into him this week but this is a fair post. I did notice the commentators mentioned that Hogan didn't take a mark until halfway through the third quarter, yet he'd kicked three goals by then.

The ball barracked for Melbourne that day. I don't know if Melbourne do an 'all the goals' vid like we do, but I bet if they did we'd see at least 5 or 6 occasions of a Melbourne goal coming from a ball hitting the ground and bouncing straight into a Melbourne player's arms like it was magnetised there. Austin didn't have his best day but he was also unlucky at times. So were a few other defenders.

Could somebody please inform Matthew Broadbent of this?
True. Although those balls bouncing miraculously into your arms or kicking the ball mid air and somehow it splits the centre tends to favour the team with more intent. Very similar to the Friday night game and the Crows intensity vs Geelong.

Yep. It became clear that all the talk about their returning players being under done and rushed back was misguided - they were in fact cherry ripe and prepped up for a targeted assault at this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Help me out here, why is Goodwin so hated on here?

I know he played for the Crows but are there certain things he said or did in the past?

Nah. You know when you look at someone and you just get a feeling they are a right proper campaigner behind closed doors?

That's the feeling I get with Goodwin.

Peter Hurley would have found a kindred spirit with him.

I agree with the forward line but I still think because we've been so good in contested possessions and clearances and locking into our fwd 50 that this has covered the back lines a bit. Just saying what I see. Of course if the fwds did what's required and converted we wouldn't be having these conversations. I like my back lines with a bit more mettle. Regarding Dixon being flakey, well there are some on here espousing his contested marks statistics being at the top of the league.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Charlie and he brings some great work to the table. By flaky the margin between his best and worst is very wide and he can produce either without warning.

For me, he's in the side as a goal kicker but in 6 of the past 7 games he's kicked a total of 5 goals. He had a day out against West Coast where he kicked 5 - so 10 in his last 7 games with one big haul inflating that total. In the 4 games before the goalless Essendon game he kicked 10 goals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Charlie and he brings some great work to the table. By flaky the margin between his best and worst is very wide and he can produce either without warning.

For me, he's in the side as a goal kicker but in 6 of the past 7 games he's kicked a total of 5 goals. He had a day out against West Coast where he kicked 5 - so 10 in his last 7 games with one big haul inflating that total. In the 4 games before the goalless Essendon game he kicked 10 goals.

A result of our dysfunctional forward structure. Play some forwards infront of the carrier and see what happens.

A result of our dysfunctional forward structure. Play some forwards infront of the carrier and see what happens.

You can't blame everything on the forward structure. Charlie is well paid and we coughed up a bit to get him and we expect him to kick goals. He misses some very gettable shots - the first one of Saturday set the trend for his game.

As I've said before, these are not all or nothing propositions. Sure we know the forward set up isn't helpful but the player has to take some responsibility.

You can't blame everything on the forward structure. Charlie is well paid and we coughed up a bit to get him and we expect him to kick goals. He misses some very gettable shots - the first one of Saturday set the trend for his game.

As I've said before, these are not all or nothing propositions. Sure we know the forward set up isn't helpful but the player has to take some responsibility.

I agree. I was very disheartened with his last quarter pass direct to Melbourne with our charge home.

Our players dont' have great composure, it's been an issue for years

Well the players are put there because of the structure.

What have we got?
Dixon - Forward
R.Gray - Forward/Mid
Wingard - Forward/Mid

They're our proven goal kickers, all 3 of them, and Chad's rarely sighted there this season.

Surrounding them we have
Trengove - Defender/Ruck
Impey - Defender
S.Gray - Midfielder/Forward
Boak - Midfielder
Young - Forward/Mid
Ah Chee - Mid/Forward
White - Wing/Forward
Westhoff - Wing/Def/Forward

While we also have
Eddy - Forward
Monfries - Forward
Howard - Forward
Marshall - Ruck/Forward
etc in the Magpies

So we can line up with:
HF R.Gray Dixon Boak
FF S.Gray Trengove Impey

Or

HF: R.Gray Howard/Eddy/Westhoff Boak
FF: Monfries Dixon Young/Johnson

I know which one I'd back in.

I agree. I was very disheartened with his last quarter pass direct to Melbourne with our charge home.

Our players dont' have great composure, it's been an issue for years

He has a big kick. Would have been better taking the shot. He had the space as the Melbourne players were busy trying to defend the exact kick Dixon was going for.

I saw an article in the paper this morning where Ollie Wines said he felt responsible for Port's midfield/contested ball battering at Melbourne's hands. It's nice and all that he says that but how many times have we heard it before? And I think that's the main reason why people are getting so disheartened by how this season has unfolded.

Jacob Surjan and Dougal Howard spoke at the Club 1870 event pre-match and they made a point of emphasising that Glenelg are the best contested ball team in the sanfl this year and how the effort against Centrals wasn't good enough. So Chad prepared them for the Bay game with a tough contested week on the track. They did the old Chad Cornes one-on-one challenge, full on tackling and competition and as Howard noted a few players came away with bloody noses and mouths. Even Stewie Cochrane copped some damage. Dougal gave the impression he enjoyed it.

Now as scrappy and sloppy as the game was for 3 quarters on Sunday, Port matched Glenelg all game long for contested ball. They went from contest to contest to contest until they broke the Bays late in the third quarter and trampled them in the last. That was what should have happened against Melbourne. I have no doubt Ken knew what to expect from Melbourne, he spoke about it in the press conference. But did they really, really prepare for such a game?

I saw an article in the paper this morning where Ollie Wines said he felt responsible for Port's midfield/contested ball battering at Melbourne's hands. It's nice and all that he says that but how many times have we heard it before? And I think that's the main reason why people are getting so disheartened by how this season has unfolded.

Jacob Surjan and Dougal Howard spoke at the Club 1870 event pre-match and they made a point of emphasising that Glenelg are the best contested ball team in the sanfl this year and how the effort against Centrals wasn't good enough. So Chad prepared them for the Bay game with a tough contested week on the track. They did the old Chad Cornes one-on-one challenge, full on tackling and competition and as Howard noted a few players came away with bloody noses and mouths. Even Stewie Cochrane copped some damage. Dougal gave the impression he enjoyed it.

Now as scrappy and sloppy as the game was for 3 quarters on Sunday, Port matched Glenelg all game long for contested ball. They went from contest to contest to contest until they broke the Bays late in the third quarter and trampled them in the last. That was what should have happened against Melbourne. I have no doubt Ken knew what to expect from Melbourne, he spoke about it in the press conference. But did they really, really prepare for such a game?

Tl;dr - Chad in, Ken out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back