Society/Culture Should we close down the ABC and SBS ?

Should we close down the ABC and SBS ?

• Yes

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 70.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
In the year 2017 I cant think of one good reason why we need to have 2 fully tax funded public broad casters . The ABC have something like 4 TV channels and 5 radio stations which given the fact that the taxpayer is paying for this at a time when we have a budget emergency is a joke .

To make matters worse they are both controlled by the far left as most government agencies are , they don't represent main stream Australia .

For me this is a big issue as someone who pays lots of tax I don't want my money waisted . If others want to watch this garbage than can pay for it themselves , I love sky and I pay for it .

ABC 4 kids is invaluable as a safe reliable channel for toddlers. It may be controlled by the far left but I can't say I've seen any evidence of that.

SBS - Soccer Before Sex.

Mind you, I do enjoy Le Tour every year.

I watch a lot of their documentary stuff via the Smart TV app these days rather than during scheduled FTA broadcast times, as I do with ABC iView. I like a good selection of docos, it is about all I watch during the week. It is really only SBS and ABC that cater for this sort of demand. It is hardly subversive far-left stuff.

SBS - Soccer Before Sex.

Mind you, I do enjoy Le Tour every year.

I watch a lot of their documentary stuff via the Smart TV app these days rather than during scheduled FTA broadcast times, as I do with ABC iView. I like a good selection of docos, it is about all I watch during the week. It is really only SBS and ABC that cater for this sort of demand. It is hardly subversive far-left stuff.

Sex round the world was informative

I would rather they close down the other shitty channels and the start up a few more tax payer funded channels that show worthwhile programs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP is politically motivated. He asserts both channels are simply 'leftist propaganda'.

In the same breath asserts Andrew Bolt is a centrist factual newsreporter.

I am not against leftist programs, otherwise i would want the project shut down .the issue is the abc is paid for by tax payers and should have a balanced view . Even than i still say shut it down . We dont need a fully funded tax payer broad caster.

I am not against leftist programs, otherwise i would want the project shut down .the issue is the abc is paid for by tax payers and should have a balanced view .

It is balanced. You're just unbalanced.

To you it looks leftist. Of course to you, Andrew Bolt looks like a rational centrist.

Its a problem with the operator, not with the telly.

Its actually sad that I have to turn on State funded TV to get an objective and balanced read on the news, current affairs other than Today/ Tonights 'Pensioners robbed in fat shaming scam - things you need to know!' and open debate with politicians live on TV via Q+A, or critical analysis of the media via Media Watch and so forth.

Are you seriously comparing Kerry Obrien with Naomi ******* Robson? Are you comparing Lateline, Foreign Correspondent, Media Watch, Four corners or the 730 Report.. with Today/ Tonight and My Kitchen Rules or the Block?

Commercial TV in Australia is a shambles. A bunch of reality TV, Home renovation, talent and cooking shows, and soaps. I only watch it for FTA sport and thats it.

I am not against leftist programs, otherwise i would want the project shut down .the issue is the abc is paid for by tax payers and should have a balanced view . Even than i still say shut it down . We don't need a fully funded tax payer broad-caster.

Yes, we do.....We need alternative community tv, to give a balanced, grass-roots perspective, as against the right-wing, narcissistic, fundamentalist, commercial shite that is Sky & Fox.

You're welcome.

If I asked you where the ABC stands on issues like asylum seekers, immigration, coal mining, climate change, same-sex marriage, transgenderism in schools - everyone would be able to answer correctly. That tells you everything you need to know about their political leanings.

I would prefer my tax dollars spent elsewhere.

If I asked you where the ABC stands on issues like asylum seekers, immigration, coal mining, climate change, same-sex marriage, transgenderism in schools - everyone would be able to answer correctly. That tells you everything you need to know about their political leanings.

From above:

Are you genuinely comparing Kerry Obrien with Naomi ******* Robson? Are you comparing ABC current affairs like [Lateline, Foreign Correspondent, Media Watch, Four corners, Insiders or the 730 Report].. with.. Today/ Tonight?

Get Fox and watch Andrew Bolt on a loop if you want 'balanced objective' news.

Let's just have a commercial media that produces biased, commercial filled pap for the mindless. That isn't interested in innovation or developing and promoting Australian talent. That pays no more than lip service to providing content to regional areas. That produces virtually no thoughtful programs that contest ideas. Brilliant!

Fortunately the overwhelming majority of Aussies appreciate how integral the ABC is to us.

When Essential asked respondents to rate their trust in sixteen institutions and organisations in March 2013, the High Court rated highest at 74 per cent; the ABC came second, at 70 per cent, ahead of the Reserve Bank (64 per cent) and charitable organisations (52 per cent). The TV news media came in ninth, at 30 per cent, and newspapers were eleventh, at 27 per cent. The same question had been asked two years in a row, and the ABC’s rating has been heading up, while TV news and newspapers remained broadly flat.

http://www.essentialvision.com.au/trust-in-institutions-3

Last edited:

So what have you got against rational centrists? Did one run over your cat?

It is balanced. You're just unbalanced.

To you it looks leftist. Of course to you, Andrew Bolt looks like a rational centrist.

Its a problem with the operator, not with the telly.

Its actually sad that I have to turn on State funded TV to get an objective and balanced read on the news, current affairs other than Today/ Tonights 'Pensioners robbed in fat shaming scam - things you need to know!' and open debate with politicians live on TV via Q+A, or critical analysis of the media via Media Watch and so forth.

Are you seriously comparing Kerry Obrien with Naomi ******* Robson? Are you comparing Lateline, Foreign Correspondent, Media Watch, Four corners or the 730 Report.. with Today/ Tonight and My Kitchen Rules or the Block?

Commercial TV in Australia is a shambles. A bunch of reality TV, Home renovation, talent and cooking shows, and soaps. I only watch it for FTA sport and thats it.
Oh really. Have you ever listened to some of the programs on radio national? One recently had an artist on there who was give n free reign to talk about her song potting Abbott and present her left leaning views on border protection. This is one of many examples.

Still think there is a place. Thou wouldn't be opposed to axing and letting the market decide. (If there really is a budget emergency and less money is wasted on all other crap first).

ABC these days (apart from Q and A) is actually leaning right. It is just the Andrew Bolt, Alan Jones screaming banshees in the media that have totally distorted the whole paradigm and everyone's perspective. They still play the tune on the big issues.

Oh really. Have you ever listened to some of the programs on radio national? One recently had an artist on there who was give n free reign to talk about her song potting Abbott and present her left leaning views on border protection. This is one of many examples.

* me; you mean there might be at least one program on AM talkback radio that doesnt feature a right wing populist nut job s**t stirring over the radio and shilling for the Liberals, or featuring waves of angry one nation supporting pensioners calling in to complain about brown people?

It would actually be a rare counterpoint to the s**t that gets spewed on the radio airwaves.

Like it or not the Labor party and Greens combined (45 percent) won more of the vote than the Nationals and Liberals (42 percent), and many that voted Liberal voted for a [socially progressive (but economically conservative)] governemnt (i.e: not all Liberal voters are socially conservative or 'right wing').

One Nation got 4 percent of the total Senate vote. The Greens got double that number.

General voting trends indicate that Australians are predominatly (socially) centre-left. Of course, to me if the majority can be said to be (centre-left) socially, this is really just the centre, and blokes like you are more to the right than you realise.

Back