Religion Should I have to celebrate Diwali?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
So my workplace is celebrating Diwali today. However, we don't celebrate any other religious holidays - no Ramadan, Hanukkah, Easter celebrations, etc

We don't even have a Christmas celebration (which for a large number of people like me is a secular celebration anyway) - we have an End of Year celebration.

If people want to celebrate Diwali go ahead, more luck to you. Have a great time.

But I'm not Hindu, I'm not a huge fan of religion full stop (there are some really disturbing elements of Hindu if you follow what goes on in India)and I think Diwali is an environmental headache for the people of India

I dunno, I'm probably being an a-hole here but it does give me the irits that I'm expected to participate in a religious celebration. For the record, I'm not attending the celebration but I reckon I shouldn't have been asked to in the first place. Bugger, cos I love Indian food so joke is on me.

They're not forcing you to celebrate it/attend, so I don't see a problem.

My workplace has morning tea for all sorts of random stuff, if I'm hungry and want a cheap feed I'll attend, if I'm not then I won't.
I also don't keep track of what holidays/international days they celebrate.

It's not the celebration that bothers me it's the inane small talk that getting a sugar fix and a cheap feed requires.

So my workplace is celebrating Diwali today. However, we don't celebrate any other religious holidays - no Ramadan, Hanukkah, Easter celebrations, etc

We don't even have a Christmas celebration (which for a large number of people like me is a secular celebration anyway) - we have an End of Year celebration.

If people want to celebrate Diwali go ahead, more luck to you. Have a great time.

But I'm not Hindu, I'm not a huge fan of religion full stop (there are some really disturbing elements of Hindu if you follow what goes on in India)and I think Diwali is an environmental headache for the people of India

I dunno, I'm probably being an a-hole here but it does give me the irits that I'm expected to participate in a religious celebration. For the record, I'm not attending the celebration but I reckon I shouldn't have been asked to in the first place. Bugger, cos I love Indian food so joke is on me.
Sounds like they were being polite inviting you and it is your choice?

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The invite (if it can be called that) came from management. It would be a bit different if I was invited to someone's house. That's not work sanctioned. Just find it interesting that it seems OK to celebrate one religious holiday but not another.

They're not forcing you to celebrate it/attend, so I don't see a problem.

My workplace has morning tea for all sorts of random stuff, if I'm hungry and want a cheap feed I'll attend, if I'm not then I won't.
I also don't keep track of what holidays/international days they celebrate.

It's not the celebration that bothers me it's the inane small talk that getting a sugar fix and a cheap feed requires.
Oh yeah - I'm with you on the whole morning tea full stop. While not being forced to attend, it is always implied that you are expected to attend. Otherwise you're not a team player.

Was it a religious celebration or mostly cultural observance?

The boundaries do get crossed at times, though I wouldn't be concerned unless it became preachy. We celebrate Christmas as a very secular holiday in Australia and I don't see a problem with welcoming other religions into our secular fold. Muslims and Hindus generally do food a lot better than us, so that's a win.

I dunno, I'm probably being an a-hole here but it does give me the irits that I'm expected to participate in a religious celebration. For the record, I'm not attending the celebration but I reckon I shouldn't have been asked to in the first place.
That's cool, next time just sit in the corner and sulk. I'm sure they won't ask you again after that.

The boundaries do get crossed at times, though I wouldn't be concerned unless it became preachy. We celebrate Christmas as a very secular holiday in Australia and I don't see a problem with welcoming other religions into our secular fold. Muslims and Hindus generally do food a lot better than us, so that's a win.
That's the nub.

Diwali just sounds like a bit of music and a good feed. Win/win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red herring.

OP said their workplace doesn't have a Christmas celebration.
Should point out it used to be called a Christmas celebration but was changed in the past couple of years to End of Year Celebration. Already have one person in the office who is going to insist on making it all about Christmas and has challenged HR to do something about it. Said person (not me btw) is an atheist.

Well this is where it got a bit murky. With management's request came a website which explained the religious significance of the day - great to learn about other cultures and all but some people might have interpreted is preachy (I didn't but if I was of a religious orientation I might see it that way). If we celebrate Diwali should we celebrate Eid or Hanukah? I wouldn't expect Jewish people to have to celebrate an Islamic holiday nor would I expect Muslims to celebrate a Jewish holiday, particularly with what's happening in Israel.

You're right that Christmas and Easter are now secular (although there are Christians that hate this aspect of it) but they are also very steeped in non-Christian traditions anyways (Easter Eggs anyone?). And as I've noted our work Christmas celebrations have been renamed End of Year celebrations so as not to have any religious connotation.

Like I said in the OP, joke might be on me. I missed out on the samosas (not that I struggle to find good Indian food where I live) but part of me still feels it's wrong to insist on celebrating one religion at the expense of others.

I'm keen to know how this all played out.

Did upper management decide to impress a key indian account by putting on a show celebration of Diwali this year? Did the boss call heavies to round up the workforce into the break room for a forced morning tea?

Or...

Did the new Indian graduate offer to throw a bit of a celebration to share the culture with the office and is now a bit confused why Keith from accounts is refusing to leave his office while muttering "we'll fight them on the beaches" etc.

I'm keen to know how this all played out.

Did upper management decide to impress a key indian account by putting on a show celebration of Diwali this year? Did the boss call heavies to round up the workforce into the break room for a forced morning tea?

Or...

Did the new Indian graduate offer to throw a bit of a celebration to share the culture with the office and is now a bit confused why Keith from accounts is refusing to leave his office while muttering "we'll fight them on the beaches" etc.
Not quite. About half the office is from the sub-continent. Anyways in the spirit of religious pluralism, I'm suggesting to management that we celebrate Unveiling Day.

Sounds like they were being polite inviting you and it is your choice?

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The whole country gets Christmas shoved down its throat every year ad infinitum.
I should get compensation for that total BS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back