Moved Thread Should the AFL have a full pride round?

Should the AFL have a LGBTQIA+ pride round?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending on your definition of transitioning, between 3% and 0.15% of people who transition regret transitioning.

I acknowledge that this still leaves a subset of the population that regrets their transition, but 3% of what is already a small percentage of the population (39 from 10,000 individuals) is much lower than the binary you're proposing as equal.

That examples exist does not entail that those examples are representative of a wider population.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a read.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
AFLW have had this for the last few years.

So far there have been isolated on field efforts in the AFL to celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community such as the Swans vs Saints game, but no broader show of support through a full pride round with each team having its own special jumper design like in AFLW.

Is it time the AFL did this?

Poll added.

Absolutely they should, though as Chief mentioned, I imagine they'll want to avoid the backlash from a wide range of fans who still long for the 'good family values' from the early 20th century.

Absolutely they should, though as Chief mentioned, I imagine they'll want to avoid the backlash from a wide range of fans who still long for the 'good family values' from the early 20th century.
They don't seem to mind when a certain female player refuses to play in a pride jumper though

Without getting myself reported...
I have zero issues with the idea of pride round and i think it's a great move to celebrate diversity and make people feel welcome in the sport

however
you can't just keep making gimmick rounds up every week
otherwise there will be a different Guernsey every week

Last edited:
There is a reason these type of discussions always have comments turned off on social media. The tiny minority absolutely ruin it for the rest because they can't keep their bullshit comments to themselves.

There has only been one overt objectioner in the AFLW. Should Haneen Zreika be seen as a bigot though?
No she shouldn't, because if you want a multicultural society then you have to accept the cultures that do not support the behaviour.

I think Josip Brekalo dealt with it beautifully while at Wolfsburg, he respectfully refused to wear a rainbow colored armband and no one had a problem with him at Wolfsburg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we had this already. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen players wear guernsey’s with rainbow numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes. Pretty simple. AFL needs to do it’s part and has. They are influential and there is a lot of hatred out there.

As long as we can have a round celebrating the achievements of straight people, sure

Why? As a straight person, my sexuality is already widely accepted and I can be open about it without any fear of judgment or negative repercussions. There is no need to campaign for acceptance of being straight because no one gives a s**t if you are.

Last edited:
I thought we had this already. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen players wear guernsey’s with rainbow numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sydney v St Kilda have a match but there isn't a AFL wide round per se

As long as we can have a round celebrating the achievements of straight people, sure
hur hur hur GIF

however
you can't just keep making gimmick rounds up every week
otherwise there will be a different Guernsey very week

I'm sure the clubs hate that idea

1665963008852.png

And where's the round for white people?!

Probably should log off and start again tomorrow with that dribble. Entire civilisations have been built around, for and by straight people.
Thread banned him. Let's move on.

Thread banned him. Let's move on.
Ok I will be more constructive. I just don’t think it impacts anyone else in a way that would offend or otherwise hurt them so why not. Why isn’t a more inclusive less bigoted AFL a good one?

I think they're afraid of shaking that tree and seeing the bigots that fall out.

You could enforce bans on anyone that does not share your views to the letter of the law. That'd l'arn 'em ....... or we can live & let live and your inclusiveness remains in your back pocket waiting for another chance to deliver YOUR version of virtue signalling.

If you choose to go looking for a fight, its very easy to find one.

Yes. Pretty simple. AFL needs to do it’s part and has. They are influential and there is a lot of hatred out there.

Lots of hatred? Is there really?

I think the movement has gone to far. I don't think we need a round to promote it. I don't think it's something we need to shove down the throats of young kids.

Back