Things You Were Wrong About

Remove this Banner Ad

I have said for a long time we needed some icing on the cake in our midfield. But the Crouch brothers have single handedly gifted us the whole damn thing and a few cherries too.

On a negative though, I did think Hampton would be one of the best players in the team by the end of this season. He has potential though if he can just get his body right.

Not me, but there were a lot of people fooled by Port early on. I remember very early in the season getting howled down for claiming they'd go nowhere this year and get found out in September. Said they were like us in 09, looked like flag faves against poo teams but still a level below the good ones. Although we actually won a final that year.

Hugh Greenwood: I watched a few SANFL games last year and thought he had an awkward kicking action, but he's actually a very good kick for goal.
Charlie Cameron: Thought he'd be our next big thing. Gone so far backwards it's not even funny.
Jake Lever: fooled us into thinking he'd be a Crow for life on his draft day.
Jake Kelly: Just never really rated him. Improved out of sight.

To be fair we were right about Mackay at the time, he was rubbish. The Brand New Mackay BNM briefly soared and gave us new hope before turning into mush.

The New Reincarnated Mackay NRM is a revelation and I'd like to think we can take the credit for him finally listening to our advice.

His reincarnation was born from him actually being dropped to the SANFL. It does 2 things, firstly he gets a kick up the ass and secondly he gets to go down to a lower grade and get his hands on the ball and use it. There's not a single poster that has continued to call for his dropping since he started earning his spot in the 22. Watching him on Thursday night actually drilling targets was a thing of beauty. He also managed to use his paperweight frame and impact contests physically when he didn't get the ball. I'd take 16 from Mackay when he's hitting targets and impacting loose ball, which combined with his ability to run hard to defensive position makes us a better team. No question whatsoever.

Definitely that Jake Kelly wasn't on the level half way through the year, has been excellent in the last half of year. Hartigan another one I didn't think should come back in after his hamstring injury but his performance in the QF was brilliant for someone who hadn't played much lately. Guess in hindsight both those guys may have been victims of lack of pressure up the ground and thus exposing them? Is always easy to blame the guys in the shot when stuff isn't working but frequently it does stem from elsewhere.

I think Hartigan was carrying a groin or something similar. At about 10 games in I saw him hampered in his action when walking into the rooms after a win. It was clearly above the quads/hamstring. I reckon his hammy strains have resulted in the other issue being resolved and we're now seeing the true Kyle.

Mackay went in hard several times on Thursday night.

I may be critical of a lot of things Mackay does, but I will say that when it's his time to go he never shirks the contest. He's always willing to put his body on the line or go in hard for a tackle.

Unfortunately he's built like a twig, so is often ineffectual with his tackling. Full credit to him for always committing to the contest though.

I would have always agreed with this over the last few years, but Mackay was actually quite strong over the ball a couple of times over the game. And then he hit some targets as well. Dropping him twice was the best thing this club has done for him and the team. They've belatedly shelved Noble's master plan and are now making players accountable for performance and we're reaping the benefits. It was a 2 step process, but they got it right eventually. I would hope that the Noble disciples are starting to realise that we accelerated at about the same point that he pissed off.

I think Hartigan was carrying a groin or something similar. At about 10 games in I saw him hampered in his action when walking into the rooms after a win. It was clearly above the quads/hamstring. I reckon his hammy strains have resulted in the other issue being resolved and we're now seeing the true Kyle.
Hope you are right because he was becoming a really reliable defender last year, marking, kicking, decision making all well on the way up then it seemed to all go backwards early this year. Injury might explain it, also potentially coaching roles may have been tweaked as he wasn't the only one who had seemingly gone a bit backwards.

Hope you are right because he was becoming a really reliable defender last year, marking, kicking, decision making all well on the way up then it seemed to all go backwards early this year. Injury might explain it, also potentially coaching roles may have been tweaked as he wasn't the only one who had seemingly gone a bit backwards.

He was bordering on droppable before his hamstrings and has come back as nearly our best KPD, if not our best.

main one for me was expecting Cameron to go next level rather than regress - will be very interesting to see if he does request a trade at the end of the year, doesn't seem to be in the right headspace.

most of our success stories I'd like to think I was bullish on fairly early, Hartigan, Kelly, Greenwood, etc.

I wasn't expecting Mackay to turn it around though, definitely in career best form right now and in a way I feel vindicated for being so critical of the guy because he clearly needs to and deserves to be held to a higher standard than he has been over the years. Also thought Dougy needed to be dropped in a similar fashion to find form, but he's found it in the firsts and at the right time of year.

also never thought the club would see the error of their ways on selection night like they seem to have finally made adjustments in the back half of the year and we're looking better for it.

main one for me was expecting Cameron to go next level rather than regress - will be very interesting to see if he does request a trade at the end of the year, doesn't seem to be in the right headspace.

most of our success stories I'd like to think I was bullish on fairly early, Hartigan, Kelly, Greenwood, etc.

I wasn't expecting Mackay to turn it around though, definitely in career best form right now and in a way I feel vindicated for being so critical of the guy because he clearly needs to and deserves to be held to a higher standard than he has been over the years. Also thought Dougy needed to be dropped in a similar fashion to find form, but he's found it in the firsts and at the right time of year.

also never thought the club would see the error of their ways on selection night like they seem to have finally made adjustments in the back half of the year and we're looking better for it.

Agree with Mackay, every poster that wanted him dropped has been proven to be correct. Dougie is an interesting case though. Shunted to the forward line last year because we couldn't bring ourselves to drop Thommo and open up some midfield minutes for him. He didn't look to be going all that well in his primary forward, sometime mid role last year and yet I think he finished 12th in the b&f on votes per game. When countering the 'get Gibbs at all costs crew' I stated that Dougie will be better when playing more midfield time, and also that our midfield will be better when we dump a player that isn't capable of covering ground but plays 80% TOG.

It wasn't popular and was much against the grain, but was pretty well spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackay has been heavily criticised in the past, which was well deserved. He has turned it around and proven himself to be a contributor of the team. His contract is coming to an end next year, so this is the time to do so for him.

Mackay has been heavily criticised in the past, which was well deserved. He has turned it around and proven himself to be a contributor of the team. His contract is coming to an end next year, so this is the time to do so for him.
as usual, one-year contracts for him from here on out if you ask me.

how so?

Thommo had been an albatross around the 22's neck for at least 12 months before the start of this year, and everything else basically stayed the same.
Agree, the names are the same but you know, organic growth and all

how so?

Thommo had been an albatross around the 22's neck for at least 12 months before the start of this year, and everything else basically stayed the same.
I got played into thinking we had a bottom 4 midfield. I didnt rate matt crouch, thought brad crouch was a perma crock, jake kelly was a sanfl level footballer. Didnt replace lyons at all. Never thought greenwood would have this type of inpact. Lever wouldnt get to this level this quick.
s**t where else do i go.
Thought thommo would play the majority of games. Feared eddie might decline.
Honestly thought we would finnish anywhere from 7th to 9th.
But im a pesamist

Greenwood and Keath have been massive wins for us. Outstanding work by our recruiters.

I was wrong about Kelly's disposal. I thought he was the next Sam Shaw. Harto had proved me wrong also. But I wish Lever would teach him how to spoil. And Mackay played a good final.

The difference between Lever and Harto is that the latter takes all players with him. Even when people think Harto has stuffed up, he never fails to push his opponent under the ball with his strong body. What happens after that isn't his responsibitly

Brouch...

But im glad that thread I started has spurred him into action.
Pretty much all uptick since that day.

Genius I tell ya.

Unless I've missed it the biggest B.Crouch detractor on the face of the planet let alone the BF Adelaide Board the Wascally Wabbit from the Top End NTRabbit still isn't prepared to man up and chow down on the s**t sandwich he truly deserves to choke on every last bite. There are those with few clues then there is the Wabbit with NFI.

Organic Growth.

I was pretty bloody skeptical about that. It sounded like an all too familiar bit of spin from our club, but * me, it has actually happened.

Unless I've missed it the biggest B.Crouch detractor on the face of the planet let alone the BF Adelaide Board the Wascally Wabbit from the Top End NTRabbit still isn't prepared to man up and chow down on the s**t sandwich he truly deserves to choke on every last bite. There are those with few clues then there is the Wabbit with NFI.

He is more on Matts case though isnt he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back