Motlop --- good choice/fit for the Crows? (chooses Port)

Do you want AFC to do their best to get Motlop?

• Yes

Votes: 133 50.4%
  • No

Votes: 55 20.8%
  • Meh

Votes: 76 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Reported today (News.com.au) and I'm surprised nobody else started a thread about it (if there is one, Mods please merge?):
" ADELAIDE has joined the race for Geelong star Steven Motlop’s signature.
The Crows have reportedly joined the scrap in a big way, offering the 26-year-old a rich deal. "

I've watched Motlop sneak around a kick behind the play for a while now and always wondered why Pyke did not tag him. Busy, damaging player, very much like Bachar Houli. Good replacement for CC?

I'd be happy if the Crows got him. Thoughts?
(P.S.
I should've specified that I was curious to know what Crows supporters thought about the (unconfirmed) report. Apologies.
I don't really give a flying Crows' FAAA-ARK about what any other club's supporter thinks about this, but hey it's an open Forum. Non-Crows' supporters have your say, by all means, but this is not a banter thread.)

Last edited:

I wouldn't say no outright, but he'd want to be coming cheap - in terms of trade AND pay packet.

would love to know what the rumour-mill's idea of a "rich" deal is...

that does him a small favour then, but I still feel like we've got enough once a month players on the list.
Sorry for the intrusion, Motlop is a Restricted Free Agent, however I can't see Geelong matching any offers. I've heard Adelaide and Port's offers would give Geelong a Band 2 compo (end of 1st rnd). Make of that what you will.

I think he will choose port but i would be quite happy if he comes to our club. As long as they dont over pay him and obviously it doesnt cost any draft picks so why not. He has speed and we need all the line breakers we can get especially with smith out for majority of 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say no outright, but he'd want to be coming cheap - in terms of trade AND pay packet.

would love to know what the rumour-mill's idea of a "rich" deal is...
AFC have allegedly offered a fair bit more ("rich deal") than PA.

He's looked alright the times I've watched him play. But the Motlop name isn't exactly held in as high regard as, say, the Rioli name.

If you want me to elaborate, I would say the Motlop name has, rightly or wrongly, been mostly associated with laziness and mediocrity.

but I still feel like we've got enough once a month players on the list.
Yeah, I wondered about that too.
I had a look at his stats on Wikipedia. Underwhelming, a bit. Averages 18 disposals (not bad, but no efficiency data), a bit over a goal, 3.5 marks, 2.3 tackles per game.
My recollection of him is busy loitering behind our post-point kickouts to shark pack spills or outside to kick back i50.
Looks like he finds space, like Houli, might blossom in tandem with Eddie and our forward system (when on)?

I wonder if AFC are throwing this money at Motlop because they realise they might finish the trade period with no one coming in?

He's looked alright the times I've watched him play. But the Motlop name isn't exactly held in as high regard as, say, the Rioli name.
If you want me to elaborate, I would say the Motlop name has, rightly or wrongly, been mostly associated with laziness and mediocrity.
I hadn't heard that. Sounds a bit tough, but. I mean who cares what his relatives do/did (specifically, brother Daniel?) ? Can you say more, please?
@ 26, he's not too old to improve.

All depends on what we're paying him really. Much more than about 450 to about 500 and I would wonder why we didn't offer Lever more initially instead.

Obviously talented and would be a great pick up if he lived up to that talent, but also has strong whipping boy potential with his inconsistency and lack of pressure. I like to back our system, but if he couldn't fire at a professional club like Geelong, is he much more likely to click here?

If it comes down to it, he's probably better than nothing since we don't have to give up picks and could play the now vacant Cameron role. But I wouldn't be gutted if we missed out.

I don't really believe the report. This has Port chest beating all over it. Korns says crows have put a mammoth deal in front of motflop... only for motflop to choose port. A whole summer of motlop & polec choosing port references regarding our termultuous club culture. I can see it now

Formerly known as Turnover_Thommo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back