Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Every year around trade time, we have a rush of fans from all teams ruing the fact that they've been hard done by in the club past with regards to losing players.

It seems every club has this claim of being the most unfairly affected when it comes to players leaving for bigger contracts, go home factor etc.

In this thread, put up a list of the players your club has lost and we will take it to a poll to settle it once and for all.

Adelaide:

Dangerfield (Brownlow, AA)
Gunston (premiership x3)
Tippett
Bock
Davis

Brisbane:

Docherty (AA)
Yeo (AA)
Hanley
Polec
Longer
Luenberger
Clarck
Sherman
Karnezis
Aish

Carlton:

Grigg (premiership)
Betts (AA)
Yarran
Henderson
Jacobs
Waite
Tuohy
Bell
Garlett
Hampson

Collingwood:

Beams
Thomas
Shaw
Wellingham
Dawes
Cloke
Lumumba
Brown

Essendon:

Carlisle
Lonergan
Crameri
Ryder (AA)
Hibberd (AA)
Melksham
Houli
Gumbleton

Fremantle:

Mayne
Palmer
Tarrant

Geelong:

Ablett (B&F, AA)
Christensen
Caddy (premiership)
Vardy
J. Hunt
Jansen
Hamling
West
Walker
Kersten
Hunt
Simpson
Varcoe

Hawthorn:

Suckling
Clinton young
Franklin
Lewis
Brad hill (b&f)
Campbell brown
Gilham
Jed Anderson
Kennedy (premiership, AA, B&F)

Port:

MATT THOMAS
BEN JACOBS
DANYLE PEARCE
DAVID RODAN
DEAN BROGAN
CHAD CORNES
NATHAN KRAKOUER
TROY CHAPLIN
Burgoyne (premiership x3, AA)

Richmond:

Deledio
Vickery
Matt White
Tambling

St. Kilda:

Goddard

Sydney:

Mumford
Mitchell (B&F)
Membrey
Biggs (premiership)
Nankervis (premiership)
Lamb
Jetta
Spangher (premiership)
Malceski

Western Bulldogs:

Cooney
Griffen
Lake (premiership)
Ward (B&F)
Harbrow
Higgins
Jones (G.O.A.T)
Hamling
Tutt

Last edited:

The day it becomes common where players come out and announce that they'll be playing elsewhere the next year will just about do me. I don't care that rugby league players do it, they have a weak enough culture as it is. To answer the OP I'd say The Crows. Phil Davis was ostracised when he made his intentions clear that he was off to gws, fully support what Adelaide did there.

Would appreciate if you could put the power list up PA..

not a great list which probably reflects where Port were at during this period:

MATT THOMAS
BEN JACOBS
DANYLE PEARCE
DAVID RODAN
DEAN BROGAN
CHAD CORNES
NATHAN KRAKOUER
TROY CHAPLIN

hopefully haven't missed any from the past

Ahchee and Trengove to be added for this year

Crows or Brisbane. Crows have lost better players but they can at least cover for them. When Brisbane lose kids it really hurts them.

Since 2010 Richmond have lost the following players to other clubs:

30 yo broken down Deledio
Vickery
Matt White
Tambling

There have been a few others that got delisted and found other clubs (e.g. Nahas), but that's it. Not one current Richmond player has requested to leave this off-season. Even the VFL guys who aren't getting a game all want it. We do player retention better than everyone else.

not a great list which probably reflects where Port were at during this period:

MATT THOMAS
BEN JACOBS
DANYLE PEARCE
DAVID RODAN
DEAN BROGAN
CHAD CORNES
NATHAN KRAKOUER
TROY CHAPLIN

hopefully haven't missed any from the past

Ahchee and Trengove to be added for this year

Thanks!

What about Burgoyne and Pickett?

Edit: Pickett was over 10 years ago, Burgoyne was 2009

All the players you crossed out left because another club offered them more coin

So did Betts. But the players that have a line through them I couldn't care less about leaving. They dug their own graves for us.

Yarran had too many troubles that affected his performance.
Henderson cried his way out.
Jacobs wanted to go home. Didn't bother me at all. Good on him for succeeding elsewhere.
Share the same thoughts about Grigg. Premiership player. I congratulate him but I don't regret the club letting him go.
Waite was practically unavailable every second week.
Garlett isn't much of a loss. And I doubt he'd be any better than the other small speedsters in our team now (especially with our slow-paced game style).
Hampson. Nah! (Warnock wasn't any better but neither were going to help take us anywhere).

Brisbane have been reamed but they haven't really lost players the caliber of Dangerfield.

It's ridiculous how many players running around that started their careers at Brisbane, played one or two seasons, developed then left.

I was watching the Brisbane/Geelong game from 2013 just before and was noticing stacks of good players that are now playing at different clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really cant judge the expansion clubs alongside the others. We've had a reducing list size in the periods mentioned. I'm not gonna bother for that reason.

yep, losing players alone will not give the full picture. It is expected that the expansion clubs will lose players as their list size shrinks, trade players based on needs and lose players struggling to break into the side.

It just feels that GC are losing players seeking hope. The lions went through a similar rough patch.

The crows are a bit different as they seem to lose top class players on a regular basis. Despite this, they seem to go from strength to strength which says a lot about their player development and on field systems.

From memory Crows have lost:

Gunston
Bock
Davis
Tippett
Dangerfield
Lever

Can’t think of many more.

4 of those were playing/in the squad on grand final day.

Grigg is a premiership 2nd ruckman.

Good on him. But it wouldn't make him the best player on our list if he were to return. Realistically, he would only be as important (or have as good of a work rate) as Wright and/or E. Curnow.

You're overestimating the value of players and underestimating the value of teams. It is important to look at all aspects (list, coaches, game plan, etc.)

Last edited:
Swans haven't fared badly. Off the top of my head I think we've lost:

Mumford - really the club's choice as they couldn't offer him a contract close to his worth.

Mitchell - although "best 22", he wasn't seen as much of a priority as some other players about to come out of contract and we were arguably over-supplied in players who played his position. While he is on more money at the Hawks, he really left for more opportunity to play as an onballer.

Membrey - not best 22 at the time. Might have become so had he hung around for another year or two but sought more opportunity elsewhere.

Biggs - same as Membrey

Nankervis - same as Membrey and Biggs, though less chance of him forcing his way into the senior team in the foreseeable future

Lamb - as per Nankervis

Spangher - as per Nankervis and Lamb. Probably also preferred to be in Melbourne

Jetta - moved home, rather than for more money

Malceski - was at the end of his career and moved more for an extra year on his contract and for a promise of coaching opportunities

I think that's about it.

Ablett
Christensen
Caddy
Vardy
Podsiadly
Chapman
J. Hunt
Johnson

Last 4 we didn't really want but most fans would've preferred keeping Johnson & Chapman at the time.

Perhaps Menzel and Motlop could be added to the list in the next two weeks.

Dogs (short, mostly recent list)

Cooney
Griffen
Lake
Ward
Harbrow
Higgins
Jones
Hamling
Stringer (preemptive)
Tutt

The late 70's, early to mid 80's was worse. Templeton, Round, Dempsey, Wilson, Hardie, Edmond..... Plus a few i have missed...

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saints have been pretty good at retaining players since 2010 with only Goddard leaving to FA (we decided not to match) and Jamie Cripps wanting out back to Perth, to my knowledge. Dal Santo, Lynch, McEvoy and Stanley were all traded out.

My heart still bleeds that we have lost players like Plugger Lockett, Spider Everett, Joel Smith and Matty Lappin over the years though.

Back