Opinion Will Collingwood bounce back if they lose the 2023 GF?

Will the Pies be back if they lose the 2023 GF?

• Yes

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 31.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

since 1990 Collingwood are 4 losses, 1 win from 5 Grand Finals, could easily have been 5 losses from 5 if not for an errant bounce.
I don't think the colliwobbles ever left.

Best thing about Collingwood is that they are the best example of shutting up all the interstate team supporters whinging that they are disadvantaged by playing on the MCG: Collingwood love losing to intestate teams! They love blowing it on the MCG and express post the flag interstate at any opportunity. Oh wowee it’s going to be nice seeing this happen again tomorrow. And contrary to what others have said BT commentating will make it so much sweeter

Best thing about Collingwood is that they are the best example of shutting up all the interstate team supporters whinging that they are disadvantaged by playing on the MCG: Collingwood love losing to intestate teams! They love blowing it on the MCG and express post the flag interstate at any opportunity. Oh wowee it’s going to be nice seeing this happen again tomorrow. And contrary to what others have said BT commentating will make it so much sweeter
Yes, I can't see us winning in 2023 but you know what. I'd rather be a supporter of the Pies than a team with the ugliest guernsey in world sport.

Whilst they’ve beaten us 6 times, most at their home ground where they’re undefeated this year, the last time Brisbane beat Collingwood at our home ground Richmond was still in their 37 year premiership drought!

The last time Collingwood beat Brisbane at the MCG, Richmond were still in their 37 year premiership drought!

In a nutshell..no.

Because Collingwood buried the wobbles deep in the ground in 1990 after demolishing the EFC.

*I’ll note that I was 20 years old in standing room at the Punt Rd end ..basically bay 13ish ..we were spat on (including my then 12 year little brother) as we made our way through the Collingwood scum crowd to the outermost concourse early in the 4th.

None of the degenerates would step forth for a one on one (two on two with my mate) biffo.

Weak . As . p

Good times.

Talking tough online and calling others cowards. Grow up buddy

To me, it depends on how they lose it.
Had the jump on Geelong in the second quarter in 2011 and kicked the first 5 goals against West Coast in 2018.

If they are simply outplayed then no, if they look in control against brisbane and are beat you could certainly argue that the colliwobbles are there.

2011 - Geelong 18.11 (119) def. Collingwood 12.9 (81)
2018 - West Coast 11.13 (79) def. Collingwood 11.8 (74)
2023 - Brisbane v Collingwood

A loss to Brisbane on Saturday would mark Collingwood's third consecutive Grand Final loss. The question has to be asked - would this mean the return of the dreaded Colliwobbles and does it need to be a close loss to convince you?
Both those sides were better than Collingwood that year and Brisbane are more talented than Collingwood this year so no. Geelong was the one where we were about equal to but were carrying A lot of injured players in and were wrecked by the internal stuff of no one wanting Malthouse to leave. (Plus Malthouse white anting and then his terrible tactical moves in the GF)

What about 2011? I think you were favourites in 2003 as well, after you belted the Lions in the qualifying final.
We were favourites leading up to the 2003 GF but go back and look at those team lists and tell us with a straight face we were better than the Lions. Any team than had Richard Cole, Matthew Lokan, Tristan Walker and Ben Kinnear as walk in starters was nowhere near one of the greatest teams of all team in the 2001-2004 Lions.

If Brisbane beat us it will hardly be considered a choke on its own - they will go 3-0 against us for the year and definitively prove to be the better side.

But it will add to the frankly laughable overall record of wobbliness.

Either the team is good enough to win on the day or they're not. We've lost a few that we shouldn't have, we've won a few we shouldn't have, we've walked into Grand Finals we never had any business winning. Collingwood just happens to be a very prolific club when it comes to making Grand Finals and that's sometimes to our detriment. But you gotta be in 'em to win 'em.
This! Supporters of 16 other clubs would give anything to have the opportunity the Pies have tomorrow. If they lose it will hurt…a lot

But, much as I love Sam Mitchell and where I think he’s taking the club, us Hawks have just endured our 5th straight year of Meh!

So kudos to Fly and co for bringing the Pies up again so quickly.

Belted??

We were behind all game, and kicked the last 3 goals to win by 15 points.

We were slight favourites based on form, although having a look at the respective lineups the result is less surprising in hindsight.

And no, Geelong started the 2011 GF as favourites.
Oh yeah my bad. I thought you beat them by 50 points for some reason.:laughv1:

Belted??

We were behind all game, and kicked the last 3 goals to win by 15 points.

We were slight favourites based on form, although having a look at the respective lineups the result is less surprising in hindsight.

And no, Geelong started the 2011 GF as favourites.
You're dealing with someone who has NFI

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either the team is good enough to win on the day or they're not. We've lost a few that we shouldn't have, we've won a few we shouldn't have, we've walked into Grand Finals we never had any business winning. Collingwood just happens to be a very prolific club when it comes to making Grand Finals and that's sometimes to our detriment. But you gotta be in 'em to win 'em.
The branding of choke artists kinda goes against the meaning of the word too.

'Choking' in sport is losing when you're not supposed to. Whether that be due to the prior buildup to the game, or losing the game from a seemingly 'unloseable' position.

For instance, Geelong '08, Richmond '18 & Hawthorn '12 are regarded as 'chokes' because they lost games they were heavily favoured in, and supposed to win.

As you mention, Collingwood's had the misfortune of ending up in Grand Finals they had no real business being in...but that's not a choke, they were just beaten by the better sides. '02 & '03 with Brisbane, and '11 with Geelong.

It likely would have been the same thing again last year had they scraped by Sydney.

2018 tows the line a bit. It was more or less a 50/50 game, or at best 60/40 Collingwood's way. I suppose you could point to the 5 goal lead, but it was so early that it didn't feel like a choke for mine.

Tomorrow's a tough one to gauge as well. Pies on top all year, and are playing an interstate team with an MCG hoodoo and some mental demons of their own.

Everything points to a loss being regarded as a choke, but the tipping appears to be pretty even between the two sides.

Having said that, if I was a Collingwood supporter I'd be pretty disappointed to be walking away from this year without the cup. Opportunities like these don't come along often.

7 grand finals! And they’ve made a third of all grand finals since 1897. Not a bad club to support really.

But like last century, they just struggle to win them. Until they get this century’s win/loss ratio above 0.500, I think the Colliwobbles are always there to be honest. They’ve got to prove they can not only make them on the regular, but they can convert them into premierships too like Melbourne and Hawthorn seem to do well.

The Collingwood grand final record of not only losing them, but losing them in heartbreaking fashion, is quite a story.
Historically you'd love to be a Pies supporter....except for GF day.

They're always there or thereabouts, and never s**t for too long...but you're assured a September heartache every few years.

Don't care what anyone says, that'll always hurt more than not making it at all.

Heartbreak 101

Who will join this team of Collingwood heartbreakers in 2023

B W Harmes 1979. T Johnson 1950. N Crompton 1964

HB Evans 1937. B Doull 1981 I Ridley 1956

C J Akermanis 2002 J Bartel 2011 F Flanagan 1952

HF B Breen 1966 Johnson 1926 K Bartlett 1980

F N Clarke 1955 P Baker 1977 D Sheed 2018

R G McCracken 1922 D Hegnay 1925 S Black 2003

Coach R Barassi 1970

We were favourites leading up to the 2003 GF but go back and look at those team lists and tell us with a straight face we were better than the Lions. Any team than had Richard Cole, Matthew Lokan, Tristan Walker and Ben Kinnear as walk in starters was nowhere near one of the greatest teams of all team in the 2001-2004 Lions.

I was amazed at the home town favouritism given the look of the lions on paper

how on earth could we be favorites in that game. The Lions were a juggernaught back then. Fab 4 midfield, quality talls forward and back. We had Bucks, Clemont and a few other handy players. once Rocca was suspended we had no chance. Unless tristan was going to kick a bag.

how on earth could we be favorites in that game. The Lions were a juggernaught back then. Fab 4 midfield, quality talls forward and back. We had Bucks, Clemont and a few other handy players. once Rocca was suspended we had no chance. Unless tristan was going to kick a bag.
The really amazing thing is that we beat them 3 weeks earlier in the QF.

The branding of choke artists kinda goes against the meaning of the word too.

'Choking' in sport is losing when you're not supposed to. Whether that be due to the prior buildup to the game, or losing the game from a seemingly 'unloseable' position.

For instance, Geelong '08, Richmond '18 & Hawthorn '12 are regarded as 'chokes' because they lost games they were heavily favoured in, and supposed to win.

As you mention, Collingwood's had the misfortune of ending up in Grand Finals they had no real business being in...but that's not a choke, they were just beaten by the better sides. '02 & '03 with Brisbane, and '11 with Geelong.

It likely would have been the same thing again last year had they scraped by Sydney.

2018 tows the line a bit. It was more or less a 50/50 game, or at best 60/40 Collingwood's way. I suppose you could point to the 5 goal lead, but it was so early that it didn't feel like a choke for mine.

Tomorrow's a tough one to gauge as well. Pies on top all year, and are playing an interstate team with an MCG hoodoo and some mental demons of their own.

Everything points to a loss being regarded as a choke, but the tipping appears to be pretty even between the two sides.

Having said that, if I was a Collingwood supporter I'd be pretty disappointed to be walking away from this year without the cup. Opportunities like these don't come along often.
There is an unbelievable amount of luck that goes into winning flags. Little moments here and there throughout the season that are out of anyone's control really. I don't think West Coast thought they were even a half chance against Richmond in 2018 and low and behold we happened to fall into their lap so things can go in and out of your favour in the leadup. But if you're able to throw that all out the window and just isolate it for what it is, one game of football, it's amazing what a team that 'shouldn't win' can do with that mentality which is what we got in that Grand Final.

At the end of the day footy is footy and winning premierships are what it's all about for the clubs themselves, but for the supporters if you don't enjoy the journey then you're missing the point.

The really amazing thing is that we beat them 3 weeks earlier in the QF.
upsets can happen. With Rocca out we had no chance in the match up. if you did a combined team for the 2003 grand final Pies would get about 5 in. Bucks, Clement, Scott Burns and maybe tarrant and Licca.

I feel they will drop. Their gameplan is beginning to be worked out, other teams just need to get better at close games against them. Take away that they're a mid tier team. Theyre really good at certain things, but can't keeping relying on that. Regardless of whether they win today I think they'll be 5-8 next season and probably out in a EF or SF.

Last edited:
Back