If Carlton win the 2023 Flag....

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate West Coast in 2018 as the greatest in recent history.
West Coast played 4 games at the MCG that year, their opponent in the Grand Final played 17.
As we've seen over the last 20 years, for an 'interstate' club to not only win a grand final, but to do it against a Victorian team playing at their home ground where they play 90% of their matches takes some doing.
The Eagles of 2018 were a fine team, deserved premiers... But the Pies did them a huge favour by upsetting the top-of-the-ladder Tigers in the Prelim. West Coast players and fans would've been high-fiving each other after that result, knowing they only had to beat Melbourne (5th-placed September novices) in the Prelim before facing a Collingwood team they'd already beaten twice in the previous 2 months.

Home ground advantage is vastly overrated... as Port Adelaide proved in the 2020, 2021 and 2023 Preliminary Finals.

It gives weaklings a ready-made excuse for their teams failings. Rather than acknowledging they were beaten by a better side, they can blame their team's defeat on their away "disadvantage", or on injuries, or the umpires... Weak as piss.

Teams who are good enough can win anywhere. As the Giants have shown this year by defeating:
  • the Cats at Kardinia Park
  • the Kangaroos in Hobart
  • the Dees in Alice Springs
  • the Swans at the SCG & Showgrounds
  • the Crows in Adelaide
  • the Suns in Canberra
  • the Bulldogs in Ballarat
  • the Blues at Marvel Stadium
  • the Saints at the MCG
  • and Port at the Adelaide Oval

Last edited:

Your home ground advantage is far greater than ours because we are playing in Melbourne most of the year. If you do something repeatedly you generally become very good at it so travelling is no issue. Kingsley has said as much this week. Anywhere, any time.

We play the same number of interstate games as the other Victorian clubs and we also share our home ground with Melbourne, Richmond and Hawthorn too, so zero advantage when we play them there. We don't travel down the highway because our supporter base is too big but Geelong, Richmond and the Pies have all had outstanding interstate records during their dominant years because good sides win anywhere they play.

If other teams want to sell their home ground advantage and play in Darwin or the Alice good luck to them. Why should we?
Why don't you ever play there as the away team?

A GWS flag would be way more impressive than Carlton in my opinion. I rather unwisely had you guys for the spoon, it looked like the players were really unhappy last year, no game plan and I expected this year to be a disaster. What Kingsley has done is incredible.

Carlton on the other hand have simply stopped underachieving. They have a premiership window age and experience demographic, multiple number 1 draft picks, two Coleman Medalists and a Brownlow medalist. It’s an indictment on them that they didn’t play finals last year and were struggling so badly early this season. But still, credit to them for turning it around.
On the number 1 draft picks , Carlton have 2 . Same as Gold Coast and GWS. Actually, both those sides have a heap more 1st round selections than Carlton .
They are the 2 sides who really should be contending currently every year with what they were handed by the AFL with compo picks etc.

We'll travel anywhere, bring it on!!

We don't get to decide where our away games are played as far as I know
Yeah never said Collingwood pick and choose where they play, but the AFL do it for them extremely favourably. And it's all well and good to say it, but release the 2024 fixture with 11 interstate games for Collingwood and there would be riots.

If a rested Brisbane cant beat a banged up Carlton at home and choke another prelim they should blow the place up.
There's as much chance of Carlton beating the Lions up there as there is of the lights going out during the game.

Wait...what?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah never said Collingwood pick and choose where they play, but the AFL do it for them extremely favourably. And it's all well and good to say it, but release the 2024 fixture with 11 interstate games for Collingwood and there would be riots.
Every year Collingwood are drawn to play home games against Marvel Stadium tenants … at Marvel Stadium. Our draw is no more favourable than other Victorian clubs.

I cannot see any way that Carlton win the flag.
Brisbane should be too strong for them up there.

If Brisbane fall over, there is zero chance, they will beat Collingwood, or GWS the following week.

BUT if they do win the whole damn thing, it will be worthy of a movie.
To most people it would be a horror movie.

It wouldn't even rank amongst the best flags letalone be the best. Not sure what the obsession is with rags to riches. I prefer to rank the truly great teams as the ones in contention for the best flag. I get people like a fairytale story but seeing an elite list crafted, well coached and executing in the bit games deserves more credit than pulling a flag out your arse in years where this is no dominant team.

I also understand why these types of flags would be more special to their own supporter base due to the underdog nature of them but should never be considered by the neutral as all-time.

Would it be the greatest comeback/flag of all time in the AFL?

Where would it rank in Australian sport?

International sport?
If you are talking within a season, probably. But they did finish 9th last year with the expectation they should be doing a lot better.

A lot of people were expecting them to be a top 4 team and biggest improvers before the season started. It probably could be said they have been living up to expectations in the second half of the year.

If you are talking about a team from one season to the next then I know Richmond went on to win the 2017 premiership after finishing 13th the previous year. Even though most people expected Richmond to finish very low on the ladder going into 2017, they did play in a finals series a few years beforehand.

Other teams may have won tghe premiership after finishing below 9th as well, but I can't be bothered going through 100 years of ladder positions to look it up.

Regardless, Carlton still need to get past the Lions at the GABBA which will be a tough game. If they can get past that then I'd say they are a very good chance against Collingwood or GWS in the Grand Final.

Last edited:
If Brisbane fall over, there is zero chance, they will beat Collingwood, or GWS the following week.
Let's play along this hypothetical. Zero chance to beat Collingwood or GWS at the 'G despite beating the best team in the comp right now at the GABBA?

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

If we beat Brissy, we'll probably go in as favourites... especially against a Collingwood side who were beaten at full strength without McKay/Cerra/Walsh/McGovern available. Walsh is probably MVP in this finals series.

If Carlton win it all - it will be one of the greatest coaching performances of all time. I hate Carlton (or I used to when they were our fiercest rival ) but I'd acknowledge a great achievement if I saw it

If Carlton beat Brisbane, they have won the flag

That being said, the biggest weaknesses of Sydney/Melbourne were their goalkicking... Brisbane have a very potent forward line (Cameron, Hipwood, Daniher, Bailey, Rayner and maybe Gunston comes in as a swingman)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back