If Carlton win the 2023 Flag....

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it be the greatest comeback/flag of all time in the AFL?

Where would it rank in Australian sport?

International sport?

It would be pretty much exactly the same as our 1945 premiership.

Halfway through the season, two games outside of finals, win 9 of the last 10 games to make finals. Win first final despite having less scoring shots. Win the flag.

IF we win it, the comeback will mirror 1945.

I rate West Coast in 2018 as the greatest in recent history.
West Coast played 4 games at the MCG that year, their opponent in the Grand Final played 17.
As we've seen over the last 20 years, for an 'interstate' club to not only win a grand final, but to do it against a Victorian team playing at their home ground where they play 90% of their matches takes some doing.

• Banned
It would be pretty much exactly the same as our 1945 premiership.

Halfway through the season, two games outside of finals, win 9 of the last 10 games to make finals. Win first final despite having less scoring shots. Win the flag.

IF we win it, the comeback will mirror 1945.

Great post. Thanks.

From memory Essendon in 93 were pretty much out of the running halfway through the season.

It would be the most remarkable in-season turnaround I've ever seen. That said, they've got a ways to go!

We still have a couple of list spots we need to fill before we'd be able to take down Brisbane at the GABBA imo. Would take a miracle next week.

Brisbane have underperformed in a lot of finals. Yeah they seem different this time, however if Port hit the scoreboard early when they should have the pressure would have been on the Lions last week. Clearly you will have to start well and take your chances, but get a lead and they could easily crack.

From memory Essendon in 93 were pretty much out of the running halfway through the season.
It's a similar kind of year with it feeling wide open and lower teams rising/top teams fading late in the year. 93 and one of 97 or 98 were very wide open (top 4 % as a collective was similarly low) and you had some underdog premiers.

I rate West Coast in 2018 as the greatest in recent history.
West Coast played 4 games at the MCG that year, their opponent in the Grand Final played 17.
As we've seen over the last 20 years, for an 'interstate' club to not only win a grand final, but to do it against a Victorian team playing at their home ground where they play 90% of their matches takes some doing.
I think you’ve totally missed the comeback part of the question.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought this too so just looked it up. After 5 games they had one draw and one loss before going on a five game winning streak and pretty much kept winning after that.

I can’t remember a side ever turning a season around like this and actually winning the grand final in the AFL.
I remember West Tigers in the NRL when they won their premiership were in a similar position as Carlton were

Would it be the greatest comeback/flag of all time in the AFL?

Where would it rank in Australian sport?

International sport?
Probably been bigger outsider upsets like Adelaide in 1998, or The Western Bulldogs in 2016. Would be a big achievement, but Carlton are the most in form team coming in 11-1 their last 12 games.

A bridge too far. I'll be shocked if we beat Brisbane at the GABBA. Yeah yeah, "gotta be in it to win it", "anything can happen", etc but I think we've come from way far too back. If we had been better at the front half of the year and finished 2nd, then maybe.
I don't think it's too far fetched for Carlton to beat Brisbane, next week. Brisbane could get cocky like Port did in 2021 and already think they're a shoe-in for the Granny with their home prelim.

A bridge too far. I'll be shocked if we beat Brisbane at the GABBA. Yeah yeah, "gotta be in it to win it", "anything can happen", etc but I think we've come from way far too back. If we had been better at the front half of the year and finished 2nd, then maybe.
Come on mate, we are only two wins away from doing it.

Probably been bigger outsider upsets like Adelaide in 1998, or The Western Bulldogs in 2016. Would be a big achievement, but Carlton are the most in form team coming in 11-1 their last 12 games.
GWS are in just as good form - Sydney were not far behind either - Carlton is a bunch of walking wounded right now...Docherty/Acres/Cripps held together with gaffer tape.

We still have a couple of list spots we need to fill before we'd be able to take down Brisbane at the GABBA imo. Would take a miracle next week.
A two horse race with a team in red hot form? We wouldn't need a miracle. Just need to stay in the contest like last night. The lions have a few finals ghosts lurking in their cupboard.

Clearly we will be the underdog. However this team now plays to the mirror image of their coach. That's not a bad thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back