If Carlton win the 2023 Flag....

Remove this Banner Ad

While this is still a silly thread (at least while Carlton still have to travel to Brisbane next week) shouldn't this apply equally to GWS?

I reckon they are playing better footy (they spanked us in round 24, and while Carlton put the cue in the rack a bit, they were spanking us all game). We knownthey can win finals on the road, and they have quite a bot of finals experience too, including GF.

In round 15 the teams were 14th (GWS) and 15th (Carlton). It's actually astonishing that they are both part of the last 5 standing and testament to equalisation in the AFL that the comp is so even that form, coaching and confidence can swing things so far...

Does my club rate a mention here?

There were alot of punters expecting us to finish bottom 4 this year.
A GWS flag would be way more impressive than Carlton in my opinion. I rather unwisely had you guys for the spoon, it looked like the players were really unhappy last year, no game plan and I expected this year to be a disaster. What Kingsley has done is incredible.

Carlton on the other hand have simply stopped underachieving. They have a premiership window age and experience demographic, multiple number 1 draft picks, two Coleman Medalists and a Brownlow medalist. It’s an indictment on them that they didn’t play finals last year and were struggling so badly early this season. But still, credit to them for turning it around.

A GWS flag would be way more impressive than Carlton in my opinion. I rather unwisely had you guys for the spoon, it looked like the players were really unhappy last year, no game plan and I expected this year to be a disaster. What Kingsley has done is incredible.

Carlton on the other hand have simply stopped underachieving. They have a premiership window age and experience demographic, multiple number 1 draft picks, two Coleman Medalists and a Brownlow medalist. It’s an indictment on them that they didn’t play finals last year and were struggling so badly early this season. But still, credit to them for turning it around.
They played in a grand final 4 years ago with the same core of players.

Kingsley done a wonderful job, but it pretty much confirms my long held opinion that Leon Cameron was a terrible coach who cost GWS multiple flags.

Yes if they win the flag it will be the greatest AFL comeback flag. I don’t think anyone has been 15th at round 15 (or equivalent of) and come back to win?

They played in a grand final 4 years ago with the same core of players.

Kingsley done a wonderful job, but it pretty much confirms my long held opinion that Leon Cameron was a terrible coach who cost GWS multiple flags.

I mean they only have 8 of those 2019 grand final players in their 22 this week - 3 are role players and 1 has had a positional change.

Cameron sucked but this is a new crop of GWS.

I mean they only have 8 of those 2019 grand final players in their 22 this week - 3 are role players and 1 has had a positional change.

Cameron sucked but this is a new crop of GWS.
Those 5 players and GWS' current 5 best players.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Plus Taylor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are going to get rolled in Brisbane by 10 goals- minimum. I am still not quite sure how they won last night (9.17?).
Great effort by the blues this year though and stoked for Vossy.

I rate West Coast in 2018 as the greatest in recent history.
West Coast played 4 games at the MCG that year, their opponent in the Grand Final played 17.
As we've seen over the last 20 years, for an 'interstate' club to not only win a grand final, but to do it against a Victorian team playing at their home ground where they play 90% of their matches takes some doing.
I don't know about that. We have beaten the Crows in Adelaide in our last 6 or so games. We consistently pumped Sydney at the Homebush stadium when they were perennial contenders and generally travel very well. Given the fact the teams outside of Victoria travel with such regularity makes it less of a challenge too.

The Lions, Crows, Eagles and Sydney have had no trouble coming to the G and winning flags.

Probably been bigger outsider upsets like Adelaide in 1998, or The Western Bulldogs in 2016. Would be a big achievement, but Carlton are the most in form team coming in 11-1 their last 12 games.
Adelaide 1998 were 5-7 after 12 games and won the flag from 5th after finishing 13-9. That's probably the closest. They were the reigning premiers though.

I don't know about that. We have beaten the Crows in Adelaide in our last 6 or so games. We consistently pumped Sydney at the Homebush stadium when they were perennial contenders and generally travel very well. Given the fact the teams outside of Victoria travel with such regularity makes it less of a challenge too.

The Lions, Crows, Eagles and Sydney have had no trouble coming to the G and winning flags.
20-25 years ago, sure. 😂
Eagles two 'recent' flags are v Sydney and Collingwood. 1 of those is irrelevant because it's neutral territory. Sydney, same story, 1 v Eagles and 1 v Hawks.
Your travel schedule is an absolute joke, don't even try to pretend you are on the same page as us. Rest up at home 90% of the year of course the 5 times you have to travel interstate is going to be easier. Travel interstate every second week for 30 years and then we'll assess your away record and see how it stacks up.

How many times has Collingwood even travelled down the highway to Geelong in the last 20 years?
How many trips to Tasmania have they made?
How many games you played in Darwin or Alice?

Your argument "teams outside of Victoria have to travel regularly so its less of a challenge" is laughable.

Does it also work the other way? You guys have to play at home so much its less of a challenge?

20-25 years ago, sure. 😂
Eagles two 'recent' flags are v Sydney and Collingwood. 1 of those is irrelevant because it's neutral territory. Sydney, same story, 1 v Eagles and 1 v Hawks.
Your travel schedule is an absolute joke, don't even try to pretend you are on the same page as us. Rest up at home 90% of the year of course the 5 times you have to travel interstate is going to be easier. Travel interstate every second week for 30 years and then we'll assess your away record and see how it stacks up.

How many times has Collingwood even travelled down the highway to Geelong in the last 20 years?
How many trips to Tasmania have they made?
How many games you played in Darwin or Alice?

Your argument "teams outside of Victoria have to travel regularly so its less of a challenge" is laughable.

Does it also work the other way? You guys have to play at home so much its less of a challenge?
Your home ground advantage is far greater than ours because we are playing in Melbourne most of the year. If you do something repeatedly you generally become very good at it so travelling is no issue. Kingsley has said as much this week. Anywhere, any time.

We play the same number of interstate games as the other Victorian clubs and we also share our home ground with Melbourne, Richmond and Hawthorn too, so zero advantage when we play them there. We don't travel down the highway because our supporter base is too big but Geelong, Richmond and the Pies have all had outstanding interstate records during their dominant years because good sides win anywhere they play.

If other teams want to sell their home ground advantage and play in Darwin or the Alice good luck to them. Why should we?

If there forwards can fire they are a chance, they have a stacked tall forward line against the weakest part of the lions team. If McKay and Curnow fire they are as good a chance as anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back