Opinion AFLX - What do we think of this round robin pre-preseason experiment?

Remove this Banner Ad

hqdefault.jpg

just a horrendous concept really.

putting the circus back into bread and circuses.

Unless it is televised on free to air, it is literally more useless than the JLT.

10 players for AFL X? Dear, Otten, Jarman, Poholke, Signarello, Davis, Hunter, CEY, pick 39, Rookie pick 1.

There isn't even legitimate match fitness to be gained. Send those that are most unlikely to be best 22 imo

Personally I love the idea.

However, it should be played about now not in February and played with 17 to 21 year olds trying to grab a spot on the main 42 list.

This won’t be a best 22 player concept, so don’t I fail to see why it’s played just before the pre season.

It’s a concept designed to showcase the speed and skills of the game to a brand new generation of fans and expand the playing life of the previous generation of ex players who can not handle the demands required every Saturday afternoon anymore.

I sure as hell wouldn't put any of my best 22 out there---but I got no issues rolling out SANFL guys

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll reserve final judgment until I actually watch it (assuming it'll be available on the international app), but the whole appeal of AFL is intrinsically tied to the massive ground, for me. Goals are meaningful because you usually need to kick the ball several times and/or run a really long way to get them. This format seems like it'd take a lot of that away. The T20 comparison is apt, I think: if it gets more people into the real stuff, great, but if it starts to detract from that, not so great.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. AFLX seems like the T20 version of AFL.

2 x 10 minute halves. Why are they bothering. At least T20 is the length of a footy game roughly.

So on a soccer pitch you can kick goals from full back? Or do they restrict scoring to within the 40 meter arc?

And no pockets just corners.........”Eddies Corner” doesn’t sound right!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back