The Hundred

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This was announced months ago but it'll be interesting to follow the developments as they happen.

England is the last of the "Big 3" countries to set up a franchise Twenty20 competition. This has been a phenomenal success in India and Australia. There's going to be, initially, 8 city-based teams. (The T20 Blast with the 18 first-class county clubs will continue however in practice it's hard to see whatever public interest that has not quickly flatlining). I'm guessing the teams will look like this:

London 1
London 2
Manchester
Birmingham
Leeds
Newcastle
Bristol
Cardiff (fun fact: not in England)

Thoughts? If this is even half as successful as the IPL or BBL the ECB will be delighted.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This was announced months ago but it'll be interesting to follow the developments as they happen.

England is the last of the "Big 3" countries to set up a franchise Twenty20 competition. This has been a phenomenal success in India and Australia. There's going to be, initially, 8 city-based teams. (The T20 Blast with the 18 first-class county clubs will continue however in practice it's hard to see whatever public interest that has not quickly flatlining). I'm guessing the teams will look like this:

London 1
London 2
Manchester
Birmingham
Leeds
Newcastle
Bristol
Cardiff (fun fact: not in England)

Thoughts? If this is even half as successul as the IPL or BBL the ECB will be delighted.

No team in Liverpool is interesting. Would make for a good rivalry with Manchester

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think they've been sucked in to trying to copy the Big Bash and would be far better off maintaining the integrity of what they've already got.

They already pack out grounds around the country (even the stadiums are circa 20k max so it doesn't increase fans getting through the gates), it's taking the game further from the grassroots by cutting out the smaller counties/regions (who fervently support the existing competition), alienating the support from county diehards, it's not like the move to the franchise model for the big bash where they needed additional teams to have a game on every night.

It's like they've just seen the bright lights and fanfare around what has been done successfully in Australia and dropped it over into a completely different context without due thought.

I think they've been sucked in to trying to copy the Big Bash and would be far better off maintaining the integrity of what they've already got.

They already pack out grounds around the country (even the stadiums are circa 20k max so it doesn't increase fans getting through the gates), it's taking the game further from the grassroots by cutting out the smaller counties/regions (who fervently support the existing competition), alienating the support from county diehards, it's not like the move to the franchise model for the big bash where they needed additional teams to have a game on every night.

It's like they've just seen the bright lights and fanfare around what has been done successfully in Australia and dropped it over into a completely different context without due thought.
Unless they're willing to turn away from Lords and the traditional grounds it's difficult to see what they'll achieve here.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The county system is not wonderful. Some of them represent real pissant cities. Placating those people isn't going to achieve a thing let alone grow the game.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Unless they're willing to turn away from Lords and the traditional grounds it's difficult to see what they'll achieve here.

Middlesex are against it because they don't own Lord's so won't get to skim the gate.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
26 April 2017

A new city-based eight-team Twenty20 tournament has been given the go-ahead to start in 2020.

The proposals were approved by 38 of the 41 England and Wales Cricket Board members, with 15 first-class counties in support of the competition.

Essex and Middlesex were the only two counties to vote against the proposals, while Kent abstained from voting.

"I passionately believe that the game has chosen the right path," ECB chairman Colin Graves said.

The ECB needed 31 members to vote in favour of the tournament which will be played alongside the existing T20 Blast.

It is not yet known which cities will have sides and where the matches will be played.

"Each of our members will benefit and, critically, so will the whole game," Graves added. "We can now move on with building an exciting new competition for a new audience to complement our existing competitions.

"Our clear ambition is that this new competition will sit alongside the IPL and Big Bash League as one of the world's major cricket tournaments."

How will it work?
  • Eight new teams playing 36 games over a 38-day summer window, with four home games per team
  • All games televised, with significant free-to-air exposure
  • No scheduling overlap with the existing T20 Blast competition
  • An Indian Premier League-style play-off system to give more incentive for finishing higher up the league
  • A players' draft, with squads of 15 including three overseas players
  • Counties guaranteed at least £1.3m each per year
'A sustainable future for first-class counties'

However, Essex are concerned it will "exclude" certain areas of the country, while Middlesex feel they will not benefit financially from Lord's being a likely base for one of the teams.

But Graves said they would make sure it benefited all counties and it marked "an exciting new era" for cricket in England and Wales.

"The ECB executive and T20 development team will now continue to work with the game as we build the new competition, ensure it is positioned distinctively from our existing competitions and realise its full potential," he added.

"All decisions - including the creation and base of each team - will be made within the game, guided by our shared strategy and built on best practice, research and insight.

"The benefits it will bring can deliver a sustainable future for all 18 first-class counties and an exciting future for the game in England and Wales."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39721254

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The county system is not wonderful. Some of them represent real pissant cities. Placating those people isn't going to achieve a thing let alone grow the game.

What a pathetic and downright stupid thing to say.

How does restricting the game to big cities and test grounds help the cause of growing the game? The same amount of people who were attending previously will continue to do so. They can achieve better results by maintaining a similar structure, but emphasising free to air coverage.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
They should have kept the county sides and had two 9 team divisions, 8 matches a year pro/rel with multiple games a week on FTA.

But the fact they did get this on FTA is great.

I'd suggest Southampton more likely than Bristol to have a team if only because Southampton actually hosts test matches and Bristol doesn't.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Where do you suggest they play?

1. Birmingham - West Midlands - Edgbaston
2. Cardiff - Wales - Sophia Gardens
3. Leeds - Yorkshire - Headingly
4. London - London - The Oval
5. Manchester - North West - Old Trafford
6. Newcastle - North East - Riverside Ground
7. Nottingham - East Midlands - Trent Bridge
8. Southampton - South East - Rose Bowl

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can’t believe they’ve taken so long to do it.

They’re cult heroes have been playing here. (Flintoff, KP).

:drunk:

Flintoff still played up until a couple of seasons ago and KP has flitted in and out for Surrey combining his CPL commitments.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Shame. The last pillar of pure cricket is falling.
England now descending into the abyss that is emphasizing T20.

Sad day for cricket.

Didn't England invent T20 cricket?

I like the separation of BBL from List A and FC cricket here. If you play for WA then you can play in the Matador Cup or the Shield. When the BBL rolls around you can play for Hobart Hurricanes if you so choose then come back to WA.

Anyway I don't really see the point of having two T20 comps running in England.

Didn't England invent T20 cricket?

I like the separation of BBL from List A and FC cricket here. If you play for WA then you can play in the Matador Cup or the Shield. When the BBL rolls around you can play for Hobart Hurricanes if you so choose then come back to WA.

Anyway I don't really see the point of having two T20 comps running in England.
I hate it.
I follow Victoria, not the Stars or bloody renegades.

That said. Overall I can’t stand T20. s**t cricket and now I see there’s T10.
Shoot me.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
England invented T/20 CRICKET, Geoff Boycott carried his bat in the first ever game, he made 4 not out.
Or did I just make that up.

Back