Unskilled jobs that pay well

Remove this Banner Ad

Automated in places like RIO Tinto and BHP on private property yes ..... Through public roads/public property of which most rail corridors are government owned ....... where cars cross never in this country will it happen.

On another thread i was arguing with someone about my opinion that automated cars and trucks are still some years off.
There is plenty of money going into it. And Trains are a simpler proposition than trucks and cars.

On another thread i was arguing with someone about my opinion that automated cars and trucks are still some years off.
There is plenty of money going into it. And Trains are a simpler proposition than trucks and cars.

Simpler yes .... more catastrophic ... yes .... Our Ore trains are 15000 tonnes ... no way will the rail regulator allow that driverless on public land.

They are years off. The site I’m at runs a fleet of autonomous Komatsu trucks 30 odd off then. The mining lease is private property so the companies can do what they want

The development that has gone in to the system has been going for years and the dollar figure is I unknown but a frightening amount as it is seen as the future of the i industry

The equipment in the light vehicles that run around on site is 30k alone just to have fitted

The system is almost fail safe when used correctly with raders tested daily by the correctly trained people but the trucks are w still monitored 24/7 the light vehicles in the pits have the drivers have to have pit passes

People see a piece in a show about the automated cars testing of being and get caught up in the hype of the possibility of it, with often forgetting the system has to be 100% fail safe as the dangersn and liabilities involved from the manufacturers point

They are years off. The site I’m at runs a fleet of autonomous Komatsu trucks 30 odd off then. The mining lease is private property so the companies can do what they want

The development that has gone in to the system has been going for years and the dollar figure is I unknown but a frightening amount as it is seen as the future of the i industry

The equipment in the light vehicles that run around on site is 30k alone just to have fitted

The system is almost fail safe when used correctly with raders tested daily by the correctly trained people but the trucks are w still monitored 24/7 the light vehicles in the pits have the drivers have to have pit passes

People see a piece in a show about the automated cars testing of being and get caught up in the hype of the possibility of it, with often forgetting the system has to be 100% fail safe as the dangersn and liabilities involved from the manufacturers point

I see a lot of glitches for cars. For example , the other day most cars were illegally crossing double lines to get past a garbage truck. What would an auto car do.... Cause congestion.

Trains. I'd love to see Metal crusher or the rail regulator prove that a human is more reliable than electronics.
Already in manufacturing environments its accepted that they aren't.
Its a matter of detecting the correct things and making it failsafe.

I heard shiftwork can pay well, because many people don't want to get up at ungodly hours.

I have an advantage here, as I used to do the paper rounds for my parents' newsagency. It would often require me to get up at 2.30-3am in the morning.

We've sold the shop now, so I am out of work, but would consider including shiftwork in my application, to show that I am flexible.

Starting your own business.
Zuckerberg, Gates and Jobs all did well for themselves after dropping out of college.

My parents ran a newsagency, and after that, I don't think I would ever want to run a business.

People think that you are "your own boss" and answerable to no-one, that you can do what you like.

On the contrary, everyone puts it on the owner to do everything. You are answerable to the landlord (if you aren't an owner-occupier), suppliers and customers, to name a few. Everyone has demands on your time.

My dad worked many years, until he was 71, from 3 in the morning to 6 at night. He would get an hour or two off, when we filled in, but he used that to sleep, or catch up on paperwork. It all caught up with him, and he died of a heart attack.

Also, you need to get someone to manage your accounts and your books. My dad did it all himself, and it got away from him, and we lost money as a result. You will need to spend money hiring a bookkeeper as well.

You don't get much free time, and often have to stay back two or three hours after closing time to clean up, get things ready for the next day, and deal with the accounts.

Another thing. I advise this, above all else, never try to run a restaurant. I have heard that they are the hardest and most demanding business to run, as you are answerable to health regulations as well, and most don't survive.

After seeing how running a business affected my parents, I would rather work for a boss and have him worry about paying all the business tax, dealing with all the business stuff, and I just do my job.

Simpler yes .... more catastrophic ... yes .... Our Ore trains are 15000 tonnes ... no way will the rail regulator allow that driverless on public land.

Driverless trains will be operating on the Sydney Metro NorthWest train link from next year.

Alstom is also supplying the CBTC system for the new line which will enable trains to operate fully automatically at four-minute headways.

http://www.railpage.com.au/news/s/sydney-metro-receives-first-driverless-train

There will b no jobs in the future for us (unskilled workforce) I'm gonna have to move to Taiwan/China or where ever all the s**t is made these days...

its a scarey future we are moving towards. What will happen when all the entry level roles disappear due to automation?

It's already happening.

Also blame the shitkicker hospitality and retail industry for inflating its own importance. Wrangling coffees 5am to 1pm every day (probably literally) for $18 an hour requires a heap of experience. Shipping t-shirts means you have to be a designer for three years or something.

There is already huge competition for very average roles.

How much do people make these days working in night clubs and city pubs serving drinks? Is it hard to get these jobs, and what are the hours like (late nights and weekends obviously, but for example shift times and quantity of hours, possible penalty rates)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much do people make these days working in night clubs and city pubs serving drinks? Is it hard to get these jobs, and what are the hours like (late nights and weekends obviously, but for example shift times and quantity of hours, possible penalty rates)?
No more than $20 an hour. Think bouncers can be on some crazy money but that’s a s**t job and you’re on a forum so therefore not meathead enough.

Don’t get into hospitality to make money. s**t work, s**t hours, s**t owners, s**t money. You’ll have half of these and probably all of them most of the time.

No more than $20 an hour. Think bouncers can be on some crazy money but that’s a s**t job and you’re on a forum so therefore not meathead enough.

Don’t get into hospitality to make money. s**t work, s**t hours, s**t owners, s**t money. You’ll have half of these and probably all of them most of the time.
Damn, no kidding. My gf works in a suburban pub and gets $20 an hour, but also time and a half on Saturdays. I was hoping clubs would be similar, therefore 6 hours would be $180 which would be handy on top of my other job, and fit in with my other commitments.

Damn, no kidding. My gf works in a suburban pub and gets $20 an hour, but also time and a half on Saturdays. I was hoping clubs would be similar, therefore 6 hours would be $180 which would be handy on top of my other job, and fit in with my other commitments.
I've never worked in a nightclub (but been to enough – wha-heeey) and it seems the only permanent fixture is the door girl. Most of the people behid the bar are there every single Saturday but leave after a few months. The pay would be s**t. It'd have to be 40 bucks an hour for me to consider it.

From what I know the general day goes like this: arrive at work about 9, spend an hour prepping everything and getting some delegated job like cleaning. Then there's the first hour of it open where it's quiet and then of course it picks up and up. Around 3am you keep asking your boss 'can we turn the lights on now?' and around 4, 4:30 they do it (this is your sort of regular club, obviously not some infamous, nefarious heathen joint). Spend a good two hours cleaning and then you go home. Have no energy to do anything Sunday and either get pissed Friday and sleep off your hangover, or do nothing basically preparing for it.

It's a s**t s**t job. I think heaps of people do it because they think it's just the same as going clubbing, but then there's a lot of people who really want to get into hospitality so take a job like that to learn the ropes and have it on their resumé. I guess if your dream is to 20 bucks an hour at a suburban pub then that's fine but doing it for extra cash would get old quick.

I've worked in liquor a bit, bottle shops and a bit of bar work, and fmd giving up your weekends sucks. It's not just the fact you aren't out drinking beers in the park with your mates or in a pub, it's the fact that you're seeing everyone else do it. Only upside is that first knock off when your hand stinks and sticks of alcohol. The other side to this is you will become a pisshead and chuck on a few kegs. When I worked at a bottle-o I'd eye off a six pack and go home and drink it and make a vegan pizza at midnight when I got home, with some buckwheat base or some s**t and convince myself it wasn't that bad.

For large venues, $20-25/hr plus loadings for weekends etc. Smaller places usually pay "off book" and often a flat rate ($17-20).

Bartending isn't a great way to make money as the work itself is hard and fast paced, heaps of rude and drunk customers, etc.

My parents ran a newsagency, and after that, I don't think I would ever want to run a business.

People think that you are "your own boss" and answerable to no-one, that you can do what you like.

On the contrary, everyone puts it on the owner to do everything. You are answerable to the landlord (if you aren't an owner-occupier), suppliers and customers, to name a few. Everyone has demands on your time.

My dad worked many years, until he was 71, from 3 in the morning to 6 at night. He would get an hour or two off, when we filled in, but he used that to sleep, or catch up on paperwork. It all caught up with him, and he died of a heart attack.

Also, you need to get someone to manage your accounts and your books. My dad did it all himself, and it got away from him, and we lost money as a result. You will need to spend money hiring a bookkeeper as well.

You don't get much free time, and often have to stay back two or three hours after closing time to clean up, get things ready for the next day, and deal with the accounts.

Another thing. I advise this, above all else, never try to run a restaurant. I have heard that they are the hardest and most demanding business to run, as you are answerable to health regulations as well, and most don't survive.

After seeing how running a business affected my parents, I would rather work for a boss and have him worry about paying all the business tax, dealing with all the business stuff, and I just do my job.
Depends on the business and how you want the direction of it to go.

My dad owns a small bus business (ran a big one in the 90s) and he is quite happy with what he does, he is near retirement age now but he likes the work and always has stuff to do and the income it provides is fine. I suppose not having to run a shopfront type of business is an entirely different entity though. He also has no employees because he got over having to deal with them.

My mate's parents just opened up a new restaurant in Perth with no prior experience in the industry, be interesting to see how that goes.

My mate's parents just opened up a new restaurant in Perth with no prior experience in the industry, be interesting to see how that goes.

Profits are pretty thin unless you own a larger restaurant (i.e. $500k+ turnover per year). Margins usually run at around 10-15% if you're successful, but many make less or even lose money. Coming from a position of no experience is very difficult, you really have to be passionate and know what you're doing.

Depends on the business and how you want the direction of it to go.

My dad owns a small bus business (ran a big one in the 90s) and he is quite happy with what he does, he is near retirement age now but he likes the work and always has stuff to do and the income it provides is fine. I suppose not having to run a shopfront type of business is an entirely different entity though. He also has no employees because he got over having to deal with them.

It doesn't matter. Any small business is demanding. Most customers are fine, but some are entitled pricks who you shouldn't have to deal with, and make demands because the world revolves around them.

You also have suppliers who you can never get in touch with, keep you on hold for 40 minutes, and then don't supply you with all of your stuff. I was the one who had to chase them up, and then tell customers why we can't sell them that item they want, and it makes us look bad.

You have government regulations, Workcare, the bank and the landlord who keeps upping the rent. All you do in your own business is be responsible for your staff. Everyone else you deal with busts your balls, which isn't being the boss, but being bossed around. You think any of them give a stuff about the small businessperson's problems. No siree.

I kept working at the newsagency because my parents were shortstaffed, as we had some unreliable staff in the past (and some good ones too), and so we needed to fill the gap. Then my brother, who was the manager when my parents weren't there, died from cancer, and the extra workload and the stress and lack of sleep played a part, I believe, in my father dying in hospital a week after multiple heart attacks.

I had to get up at 2.30am every morning to wrap newspapers and deliver them, while most of you were asleep. I then had to work at the shop after that as well. Thankfully, I got some afternoons off.

But running your own business is never easy, and rarely leads to you making millions (it depends what industry it is). There were times I wondered if it was all worth it.

Anyway, my mum sold up after my dad died, as we couldn't manage the business anymore. It taught me that it is better to just come in and do your job, and let the bigger business worries be the boss's problem, because in the end, everyone puts it on him.

The regulator will do it when they prove that the electronics are more reliable than your human driver.
What is this special super ability that your driver has , that electronics/computers with triple backup couldn't do?

Can your half asleep human react in microseconds?
Can he scan the track ahead with radar?

Stop / Go. Who cares how much it weighs computers do it better.

AND the potential for loss of life in a suburban passenger train is far greater than your ore train no matter how much they weigh.

Giving that wisdom ..... you would expect all trains to be driverless then. I expect we will see driverless cars in Oz before we see driverless trains on public land.

OK , i've posted my reasons why i believe the opposite.
Your mining companies are already using driverless trucks, far heavier than a passenger car.
The only reason that trains are not on the agenda just yet , is the wage/kg is very very low, and the capital cost of implementing it is still reasonably high.

At some point reasonably soon, "new" trains will come with the technology available off the shelf.

Meanwhile:
http://www.afr.com/business/bhps-reverse-track-on-rio-robot-trains-20171015-gz19iq

Remove this Banner Ad

Back