Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware of his accomplishments, I was stating that he's been flying under the radar as everyone seems to speak about Walsh, King Twins, Rankine, Hill, Rozee and Lukosious
Maybe because it is warranted. Bytel does have some talent, that is obvious but he can also be lazy and take the easy option especially when people hit him hard

Jack Lukosius - At the moment, he looks like one of the best forwards in a draft year for a long time. He would have gone before ANY player in this years draft if he was able to be recruited.

Izak Rankine - He is one of the most dynamic midfield/forwards I've seen in a while. Like Lukosius would have been selected ahead of ANY player in this years draft if he was able to be recruited.

Those two players alone are enough to excite people into the prospects of the 2018 draft crop. I would be very shocked if those two players fall outside of the top 5 come draft day. It is not often that you get under aged players that are considered the best players, but these two were outstanding.

Agree, Lukosius will be a great CHF, best in that postion to come out of SA Stephen Kernahan. Hope he'll be a Bagger

I recall pre-draft Tom Boyd was supposed to be the best KPF in a generation
demondavey 00Stinger
Thats odd, im quite sure Hogan was being called KPF of a generation, compared to Ox or Carey?
Havnt seen anyone like him since The duck.

But then how can there be two "once in a generation" players?

demondavey 00Stinger
Thats odd, im quite sure Hogan was being called KPF of a generation, compared to Ox or Carey?

Jesse is a very good footballer, also very young, and has the potential to be an elite KPP. He is coming into his 4th year and I don't believe KPP really hit their straps until their 5th or 6th years.

I think he needs to work on a few areas of his game, probably like all young players do, but I am really happy with him and wouldn't want him going anywhere.

Cant see any player Carlton would be prepared to trade that would get them the #1 pick in probably the strongest draft in a decade

If Carlton end up with #3 or #4 and whomever has #1 needs a mature ready made player, and thinks dropping a couple of places won’t impact that much, it’s doable.

There’s also future picks available.

If Carlton end up with #3 or #4 and whomever has #1 needs a mature ready made player, and thinks dropping a couple of places won’t impact that much, it’s doable.

There’s also future picks available.
Whoever has pick 1 and does a trade like that it would be a Cleveland Browns stuff up. Can't see it happening personally.

demondavey 00Stinger

Hogan has been a top level KPP from day dot. Something only very few players can achieve.

If he finally gets some support in the form of another KPF and the team rises he is going to be a superstar.

Extremely happy with Hogan

Whoever has pick 1 and does a trade like that it would be a Cleveland Browns stuff up. Can't see it happening personally.

Me neither, but then again if you told me Fremantle would get pick #2 and send Lachie Weller to GC three months ago I’d be sending for people in white coats to take you away for a little holiday.

Hogan has been a top level KPP from day dot. Something only very few players can achieve.

If he finally gets some support in the form of another KPF and the team rises he is going to be a superstar.

Extremely happy with Hogan

You do realise Jesse Hogan was actually 20 years old when he made his AFL debut after sitting out 2013 and being injured all of 2014.

So his “day dot” equals the next game Weitering plays (third season start), albeit Weitering has had a good run with minimal injury issues thus far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily.

A Celtics like trade moving from 1 to 3 could be very fruitful.

You do realise Jesse Hogan was actually 20 years old when he made his AFL debut after sitting out 2013 and being injured all of 2014.
He'd also done what looks to be the bulk of 3 AFL preseasons leading up to that debut, played enough of a season in the VFL to win the Casey B&F there, and played 9 NAB Cup/Challenge matches against AFL teams during those 3 preseasons leading up to his debut game.

His was a very unique situation that may never be repeated.

Agree, Lukosius will be a great CHF, best in that postion to come out of SA Stephen Kernahan. Hope he'll be a Bagger

Everyone is always on the hunt for the next 'once in a generation' player.
How many Premiership cups have Dangerfield & Fyfe got between them?
Gary Ablett was part of a terrific squad that netted him premierships at Geelong. Couldn't get close to it up at GC.

Happier building up the sum-of-the-parts without navigating around, trying to pick up the one raw talent that's going to change the fortunes for the whole.
Having said that and come draft day, everyone is on the lookout for that illusive champion of champions.

Gary Ablett was part of a terrific squad that netted him premierships at Geelong. Couldn't get close to it up at GC.

Happier building up the sum-of-the-parts without navigating around, trying to pick up the one raw talent that's going to change the fortunes for the whole.
Having said that and come draft day, everyone is on the lookout for that illusive champion of champions.

Carey, Ablett Jnr - Close to the two best players I've seen in my lifetime. They've won a few flags in their time.

Carey, Ablett Jnr - Close to the two best players I've seen in my lifetime. They've won a few flags in their time.

I brought up Ablett who was part of a great squad at Geelong but had little to work with at GC.
i.e. He wasn't the difference other than for marketing purposes.
Carey though was a difference as the whole team virtually played through him.

Can be debated as whether a team should be looking at one saviour or several of the right type of quality soldiers.
Would I want the best player in this years draft, whoever that may eventually be?
Not if it means finishing last, as the bigger picture loss may hurt more than for a smaller picture gain.

Sure, no superstar can do it on their own. But you do need superstars if you want to win a Premiership.

Sure, no superstar can do it on their own. But you do need superstars if you want to win a Premiership.

Sure, but GWS had Kelly, Cameron, Shiel, Greene, Whitfield, Coniglio, Scully, Patton, Ward etc. and were over-run with other than Martin, Rance & Cotchin, a band full of no-namers.

Not saying that last years result is a template fo the future, but there's more to getting your ducks in a row than to keep adding high-profiled names.

Sure, but GWS had Kelly, Cameron, Shiel, Greene, Whitfield, Coniglio, Scully, Patton, Ward etc. and were over-run with other than Martin, Rance & Cotchin, a band full of no-namers.

Not saying that last years result is a template fo the future, but there's more to getting your ducks in a row than to keep adding high-profiled names.

im not sure what your point is?

you'd rather a team with less stars because Richmond won the flag last yr?

you are conveniently forgetting that Richmond had Dusty, who had arguably the most dominant season ever by a player. It actually further highlights the point you need superstars to win a flag.

im not sure what your point is?

you'd rather a team with less stars because Richmond won the flag last yr?

you are conveniently forgetting that Richmond had Dusty, who had arguably the most dominant season ever by a player. It actually further highlights the point you need superstars to win a flag.

Richmond added Caddy, Nankervis and Prestia which have them a bit more grunt and depth to their best 10-15.

Geelong added Dangerfield, Tuohy, S. Selwood and Black which gave them the reigning Brownlow medallist, a top flight running defender, a solid midfield runner and a spud.

Richmond leap-frogged Geelong because Hardwick and (in particular) Caracella got them to play a more disciplined, hard nosed, defensive game which focused on minimising opposition time and space.

Had far less to do with personnel than collective application and mindset.

Had far less to do with personnel than collective application and mindset.

i think personnel had something to do with it.

but yes, you need all ingredients:

-star players
-role players
-good injury run
-good coaching
-application/mindset

all are important and its very difficult to win a Premiership without most if not all of those things.

So by making that statement your hoping carlton finish last ?

Nope, because Izak Rankine will go Pick 1 an absolute elite youngster too whom the Suns will pick , they don't need another quality tall.
Baggers will probably finish 2018 bottom 3 or 4 and that should give us the possibility to snaffle Lukosuis. I'd be stoked .
As we all know the top 10 this year are exceptional talents, I Blues will select a very elite tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back