The food and wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t know about the singlet, but the pizzas look fantastic. You’ve got a pizza oven CFC?

Yes I do V P....I still haven't mastered it but getting better every time

Just had friends around for final picking of cherries, I really can't believe this year. They have been here three times and have picked as much every time, friends, family, butcher very happy. I have also bottled some (depipped, raw sugar, Bendictine, touch of water boil until tender and bottle) great for winter with some King Island cream

photo 1.JPG

This is how I care for my garden during hot days.

photo 2.JPG

Just had friends around for final picking of cherries, I really can't believe this year. They have been here three times and have picked as much every time, friends, family, butcher very happy. I have also bottled some (depipped, raw sugar, Bendictine, touch of water boil until tender and bottle) great for winter with some King Island cream

View attachment 446648

This is how I care for my garden during hot days.

View attachment 446647
You should play for Collingwood Maggie.
One week after surgery and you're back out there.
Our guys would still be lying around in a moon boot for the next 3 months.
They could learn a thing or two from you.

You should play for Collingwood Maggie.
One week after surgery and you're back out there.
Our guys would still be lying around in a moon boot for the next 3 months.
They could learn a thing or two from you.
Wouldn't mind a moon boot for the hip.
I would kill for a good night sleep. Avoiding taking pills as taking enough for pain and usual ticker meds..

truffles - simple recipe - passed the chief's taste test :)

upload_2017-12-22_18-15-40.png

PS 1 - used full fat blueberry yoghurt in the fruit smoothie - flavour central - why did I ever bother with low fat??

PS 2 - making a pomegranate salad - with pearl barley, bocconcini, rocket, pine nuts, beetroot n' stuff - the fresh pomegranate seeds are gorgeous...

Last edited:
Have had a lot of cheese, beers and everything in between over the past few days, good and not good at the same time.

Had delicious Indian lamb last night- delicious

Can’t find the whiskey thread, but just got back from a wedding where every table had a bottle of 21 year old glenfarclas.... beautiful drop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooked pea risotto - most pleasing - seal of approval from chief in residence - seems as though risotto needs coaching, mentoring and loads of effort encouragement throughout the process - different to a snag on the bbq

Cooked pea risotto - most pleasing - seal of approval from chief in residence - seems as though risotto needs coaching, mentoring and loads of effort encouragement throughout the process - different to a snag on the bbq
Risotto is the bees knees.
Magnificent when done right. And sooooo many variations.

Risotto is the bees knees.
Magnificent when done right. And sooooo many variations.
Actually amazing how one develops a relationship with rice whilst cooking risotto - like you said sooo many variations - the pea was good, also like pumpkin, seafood, milanese, mushroom etc - not in the recipe but added some strong blue cheese to the pea risotto - worked well :)
PS - can't have too much butter in risotto

Have you ever spanked a pomegranate? - to get the seeds out of course :) This is what a pomegranate looks like post spanking!

upload_2018-1-28_9-4-15.png

Seafood risotto tonight - hot I know but there you go. Will include scallops (roe on), prawns and atlantic salmon. Was told years ago that the "scallops" without roe and which are all the same size, shape etc are probably just cut / stamped from stingray wings or shark...

Seafood risotto tonight - hot I know but there you go. Will include scallops (roe on), prawns and atlantic salmon. Was told years ago that the "scallops" without roe and which are all the same size, shape etc are probably just cut / stamped from stingray wings or shark...

This is not good. I dont like the way fish names can be flexible or deliberately distracting. For example, we had 'New Zealand snapper fillets' for dinner last night, with a sweet potato salad. The fish was from the Vic Market, and I was sceptical about what we were about to eat. But it was all good, very fresh and tasted the same as (Australian?) snapper.

This is not good. I dont like the way fish names can be flexible or deliberately distracting. For example, we had 'New Zealand snapper fillets' for dinner last night, with a sweet potato salad. The fish was from the Vic Market, and I was sceptical about what we were about to eat. But it was all good, very fresh and tasted the same as (Australian?) snapper.
I can state from (unfortunate) 1st hand experience that elements of the hospitality industry have no compunction about lying to customers.

1. Melbourne restaurant sells Mangrove Jack (Qld fish) as snapper - similar flesh, taste etc. When quizzed about this the experienced restaurant manager replied "it's not a problem, customers will never know and besides everyone does it". Absolute fact.

2. Restaurant near where I used to live offered "sauteed woodland mushrooms" as an entree. I used to see the proprietor buying standard mushrooms at the local supermarket!!

First example is the more damning.

Have you ever spanked a pomegranate? - to get the seeds out of course :) This is what a pomegranate looks like post spanking!

View attachment 454331

I'm a big pomegranate fan and used to use the spanking method.
Learned a new method recently which is much better.
De-seed the pomegranate with your hands under a bowl of water.
The seeds sink, all the other stuff floats. Then drain and you have a bowl of seeds.
Also because you do it under water there is no mess. With the spanking method the juice goes everywhere but underwater no mess at all.

I'm a big pomegranate fan and used to use the spanking method.
Learned a new method recently which is much better.
De-seed the pomegranate with your hands under a bowl of water.
The seeds sink, all the other stuff floats. Then drain and you have a bowl of seeds.
Also because you do it under water there is no mess. With the spanking method the juice goes everywhere but underwater no mess at all.
Very good but does that mean I have to give up spanking? (pomegranates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back