The food and wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we've achieved detente on the yoghurt wars.

Butter - salted or unsalted? Dont even bring margerine into this conversation, or I might have to wield the little used banhammer.

Olive oil - do you cook with the good stuff (extra virgin, cold pressed) or use it only on salads? In recent years we've resorted to buying two litre tins of olive oil - its pretty good oil, but not top line variety. We use it for cooking and salads, and no complaints. Is it true that the freshest and most expensive oil has to be used quickly, before it looses its zing?

Butter - salted or unsalted? Dont even bring margerine into this conversation, or I might have to wield the little used banhammer.

Olive oil - do you cook with the good stuff (extra virgin, cold pressed) or use it only on salads? In recent years we've resorted to buying two litre tins of olive oil - its pretty good oil, but not top line variety. We use it for cooking and salads, and no complaints. Is it true that the freshest and most expensive oil has to be used quickly, before it looses its zing?
You just aroused my curiosity VP
I don't think that margerine is sold here. Mind you I never buy the stuff but I can't ever recall seeing it on the shelves.
And butter here is much "whiter" than in aus. Not as yellow.
Can anyone shed light on why that may be so?

You just aroused my curiosity VP
I don't think that margerine is sold here. Mind you I never buy the stuff but I can't ever recall seeing it on the shelves.
And butter here is much "whiter" than in aus. Not as yellow.
Can anyone shed light on why that may be so?
Some cows over there do yoghurt wrestling - changes molecular structure of their milk - resulting in white butter...

Salted butter except if recipe specifies unsalted.
Not the question you posed re olive oil - but some have claimed certain Euro countries send their 2nd grade stuff here. We tend to buy the Australian stuff which has quite a good reputation.

Not the question you posed re olive oil - but some have claimed certain Euro countries send their 2nd grade stuff here. We tend to buy the Australian stuff which has quite a good reputation.
Pretty sure I read an article a couple of years ago that suggested Spain especially uses us a dumping ground for sub par olive oil.

I'm no expert on the stuff & generally buy the cheapest 4l olive oil I can find for cooking. I must say though having tasted & bought a couple of Aussie Oils at farmers markets it's completely different. Much more taste, zing & "alive" is a what i would call it.

Problem is cost. As Vicky says though, cheap one for cooking, good one for salads etc.

As for butter, salted definitely & the thought of marg makes me dry reach.

Yeah, we buy the Australian olive oil, from plantations in the Grampians (I think).

Talking of olive oil - bought this set in Italy years ago

upload_2017-12-7_20-41-56.png
Note "Aceto" and "Olio" - all you need - no fancy salad dressings.
(Couple of other items in the set.. will post when have time to dig in cupboard...)

Talking to a guy at work today about risotto. I commented that cooking risotto is quite an event. It needs to be nutured, caressed, stroked, encouraged and generally treated with huge respect. In a way the risotto controls you.

Quite different to chucking bbq chops on the barbie - they can be sworn at and abused - don't matter.

Stir frys - quick high energy stuff - you're in control with this lot.

Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking to a guy at work today about risotto. I commented that cooking risotto is quite an event. It needs to be nutured, caressed, stroked, encouraged and generally treated with huge respect. In a way the risotto controls you.

Quite different to chucking bbq chops on the barbie - they can be sworn at and abused - don't matter.

Stir frys - quick high energy stuff - you're in control with this lot.

Thoughts?

Risotto outcomes can also depend on the quality of the arborio rice. The better the rice, the creamier the result, while the rice grains maintain their definition and the whole thing doesn't turn into a gluggy mess. Also needs a 5 minute rest at the end, with the lid on the pan and the heat off.

But back to your point, risotto needs time and patience, a medium low heat, and small ladles of good hot stock. Occasionally I get impatient, turn up the heat, throw in cups of lukewarm stock, and the whole thing tends to turn into the aforementioned glug.

Risotto outcomes can also depend on the quality of the arborio rice. The better the rice, the creamier the result, while the rice grains maintain their definition and the whole thing doesn't turn into a gluggy mess...... Occasionally I get impatient, turn up the heat, throw in cups of lukewarm stock, and the whole thing tends to turn into the aforementioned glug.
Risotto is like a photocopier/printer - it requires great patience and senses if you're impatient or a bit out of sorts - it then exacts its revenge and you are left with glug or paper jammed in impossible to reach places and ludicrous diagrammatic explanations of how to fix the infernal machine - a zen like calm is a great asset in these circumstances... apparently

Risotto outcomes can also depend on the quality of the arborio rice. The better the rice, the creamier the result, while the rice grains maintain their definition and the whole thing doesn't turn into a gluggy mess. Also needs a 5 minute rest at the end, with the lid on the pan and the heat off.

But back to your point, risotto needs time and patience, a medium low heat, and small ladles of good hot stock. Occasionally I get impatient, turn up the heat, throw in cups of lukewarm stock, and the whole thing tends to turn into the aforementioned glug.
Cover the pan/pot with a tea towel then put the lid on VP. Tea towel then absorbs any excess moisture instead of it dripping back into your risotto or rice.

Risotto is like a photocopier/printer - it requires great patience and senses if you're impatient or a bit out of sorts - it then exacts its revenge and you are left with glug or paper jammed in impossible to reach places and ludicrous diagrammatic explanations of how to fix the infernal machine - a zen like calm is a great asset in these circumstances... apparently

Outlook from window seat (Sat night) at "Hoggets" - formerly Wild Dog Winery - highlighted is one magpie!! Quite nice meal.

I enjoyed smoked trout entree + Pork Rib-eye. My wife enjoyed beetroot salad + slow roast lamb (I am required to mention that she remarked of her own free will and entirely unprompted that my slow roast lamb was superior in every respect) :rolleyes:

upload_2017-12-11_19-20-31.png

Outlook from window seat (Sat night) at "Hoggets" - formerly Wild Dog Winery - highlighted is one magpie!! Quite nice meal.

I enjoyed smoked trout entree + Pork Rib-eye. My wife enjoyed beetroot salad + slow roast lamb (I am required to mention that she remarked of her own free will and entirely unprompted that my slow roast lamb was superior in every respect) :rolleyes:

View attachment 444041
You know To Kill that on first reading of the first paragraph it sounds like the magpie was quite tasty.

Pizza night tonight at the CFC2010 residence.

How hot does the Pizziallo look in the new Pies singlet? :p

IMG_2888.jpg IMG_2889.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back