Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is always on the hunt for the next 'once in a generation' player.
How many Premiership cups have Dangerfield & Fyfe got between them?
Gary Ablett was part of a terrific squad that netted him premierships at Geelong. Couldn't get close to it up at GC.

Happier building up the sum-of-the-parts without navigating around, trying to pick up the one raw talent that's going to change the fortunes for the whole.
Having said that and come draft day, everyone is on the lookout for that illusive champion of champions.

Agree Harker, CFC must keep focued on sound development, soild foundations, and culture in a team balanced over all.
But prodigious tablets like Lukosius, Rankine, Walsh and the King Bros don't come around often . I dream we'll land Lukosius he's a rare talent indeed.

Nope, because Izak Rankine will go Pick 1 an absolute elite youngster too whom the Suns will pick , they don't need another quality tall.
Baggers will probably finish 2018 bottom 3 or 4 and that should give us the possibility to snaffle Lukosuis. I'd be stoked .
As we all know the top 10 this year are exceptional talents, I Blues will select a very elite tall.

You will be getting a good player regardless.

My hunch is that the picks in the 10 to 30 range are going to determine the winners and losers of this draft.

Agree Harker, CFC must keep focued on sound development, soild foundations, and culture in a team balanced over all.
But prodigious tablets like Lukosius, Rankine, Walsh and the King Bros don't come around often . I dream we'll land Lukosius he's a rare talent indeed.

That may be as true, as it was for what we were all saying about Harley Bennell, Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Martin, Jayden Laverde, Chris Yarran, etc,

Of course come draft time we'll all be excited for a new present or two and dream of them becoming the next.....whatever....yet it rarely happens.
First selections 2008-2014; Watts, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd & McCartin. Not one player you'd hand over a premium pick for there, right now.

Getting off that topic now, Lukosius seems to me to be the one that has the highest ceiling, yet in a few months time a whole new group of players will be coming into the discussion as they do every year and it's often the bottom-agers that do so.

I don't recall the names Dow, Brayshaw and Cerra being spoken about as top 10 prospects, let alone top 5, this time last year and look what comes about.

Nope, because Izak Rankine will go Pick 1 an absolute elite youngster too whom the Suns will pick , they don't need another quality tall.
Baggers will probably finish 2018 bottom 3 or 4 and that should give us the possibility to snaffle Lukosuis. I'd be stoked .
As we all know the top 10 this year are exceptional talents, I Blues will select a very elite tall.

Tom Lynch is a free agent this year if he leaves the Suns would they take a tall than or still go Rankine?

That may be as true, as it was for what we were all saying about Harley Bennell, Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Martin, Jayden Laverde, Chris Yarran, etc,

Of course come draft time we'll all be excited for a new present or two and dream of them becoming the next.....whatever....yet it rarely happens.
First selections 2008-2014; Watts, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd & McCartin. Not one player you'd hand over a premium pick for there, right now.

Getting off that topic now, Lukosius seems to me to be the one that has the highest ceiling, yet in a few months time a whole new group of players will be coming into the discussion as they do every year and it's often the bottom-agers that do so.

I don't recall the names Dow, Brayshaw and Cerra being spoken about as top 10 prospects, let alone top 5, this time last year and look what comes about.

100 % agree - plenty of footy to be played in 2018, which will be more seriously scrutinised than any games these draft prospects have played in their previous 17 years.

It’s all in front of them and there’s no guarantee any of the touted top 5-10 will be there at the end of the season. Certainly some will, but history suggests not all.

Last edited:
Has any one worked out which teams have father son prospects which may affect the draft ?

isn't this the year that Geelong has at least 3 father son prospects (Oscar Brownless and co) that will be in the draft ? and Essendon has Fletchers son ?

Has any one worked out which teams have father son prospects which may affect the draft ?

isn't this the year that Geelong has at least 3 father son prospects (Oscar Brownless and co) that will be in the draft ? and Essendon has Fletchers son ?
All in good time.

If they’re any good, you’ll hear about them once they’re playing games in 2018.

In fact even if they’re no chance, you’ll probably hear about them too!

Last edited:

What do you class as premium? I would hand over a first round pick for any of Scully, Swallow, Patton (even number one for him) and Whitfield. Boyd and McCartin would still probably command one by virtue of their position even if impact not there yet, neither have set the world on fire but I would love to have either on our list.

What do you class as premium? I would hand over a first round pick for any of Scully, Swallow, Patton (even number one for him) and Whitfield. Boyd and McCartin would still probably command one by virtue of their position even if impact not there yet, neither have set the world on fire but I would love to have either on our list.

Top handful. First 5 or 6 selections generally make up the cream of the crop.
It's all debatable but I doubt any of the pick #1's I brought up, would demand a pick in the top half a dozen.
Maybe one or two would but could anyone see a club giving away a shot at what may be available this year, for a Patton or Swallow?

Another reason for this likely to be the case would be that teams that finish low aren't after a quick fix.
Fans of clubs such North, GC and Carlton would have every right to be confused should their club hand over a shot at Lukocius for Patton.
Anyway, that's all way off topic.

For now we have a great launching pad of talent to get us going and along with all the potential F/S's likely to enter draft discussions, it could make for a very interesting draft year. One we didn't quite have last year.

If Rankine and Lukosious end up dropping out of the top 5 because other kids overtake them, then it will be more than a superdraft.

If Rankine and Lukosious end up dropping out of the top 5 because other kids overtake them, then it will be more than a superdraft.

I have no idea what may yet come about, but I doubt that there would have been a year to date where the top 5 players let's say, in their underage year, ended up being the first players taken the following year and it's not always simply about football ability.
Young men take fancy to all sorts of things around 17 & 18 and young men have the ability to get well ahead of themselves also.

Rankine & Lukocius may have dazzled all last year, but may pick-up bad habits this one. Who knows for sure?
Who knows when a nuts and bolts player gets selected over others....like Brayshaw did in the last draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rankine won't go at 1, there's plenty of history to suggest that, top 5 for sure.

Lukosious is clearly the favorite for #1 a year out, with King probably second.

I think Walsh is a fair chance to go before Rankine as well. You've got to remember Walsh had the highest CD ranking of any underager in the history of the TAC Cup (I think they went back about 12 years or so since they had been collating all the relevant stats)

It's natural for people to use history to talk down the draft saying those that are rated now might fall and names we haven't considered may rise. Sure it's possible.

However I think the excitement around the draft comes from the under 17 performance of so many of this years guns.

Lukosious embarrassed first round draft pick Brander at the champs. Rankine was unstoppable. Rozee was sensational. Walsh had a solid champs plus a dominant under 18 season. Hill looked magnificent at the champs as well.

To me, the king twins are probably more hype in terms of performance than others but still had very strong under 18 seasons.

You can't name one 2017 draftee that had an under 17 season in 2016 anywhere near these guys imo (maybe Hayes in comparison to the kings).

Cant possibly see how Lukosious drops past a top 2-3 pick - Kids a star
Agree totally, it would take an extremely exceptional talent to over Rankiec
It's natural for people to use history to talk down the draft saying those that are rated now might fall and names we haven't considered may rise. Sure it's possible.

However I think the excitement around the draft comes from the under 17 performance of so many of this years guns.

Lukosious embarrassed first round draft pick Brander at the champs. Rankine was unstoppable. Rozee was sensational. Walsh had a solid champs plus a dominant under 18 season. Hill looked magnificent at the champs as well.

To me, the king twins are probably more hype in terms of performance than others but still had very strong under 18 seasons.

You can't name one 2017 draftee that had an under 17 season in 2016 anywhere near these guys imo (maybe Hayes in comparison to the kings).

Agree totally the lads you mention are extremely talented players and don't forget the King brothers and few more this years top 10 are unique and very gifted bunch.

1. JOM and Martin the only two amongst that top list that were talked about as elite 17y.o talents. JOM particularly. And he was on track, he had an incredible rookie season. We'll never know what he could have become. But the pre-draft talks about him being a freakish 17y.o looked to be spot on.

2. Perhaps that illustrates how even this draft crop was and the fact there were no truly exceptional draftee talents. Doesnt mean none will turn out to be good players, of course.

Yet both Worpel and Hayes were drafted after 40 others.....who passed them with better performances across the season in their top age year.

Neither were being talked about in the same vein as this yrs 17y.os are.

But yes, there are almost certainly going to be players we are not even mentioning that are going to end up in the top 10, perhaps even top 5.

And yes, there are players who will be drafted high that will turn out to be busts.

Just because that is almost certainly going to be the case, does not mean that the top picks next yr are not extremely valuable.

12 months ago fogarty was going pick one, atleast top 5 and was selected 12th by an SA club. Anything can happen in the next 11 months. Who knows where every team will finish. Either way crows will have 2 firsts and a great 2nd rounder in a so called super draft. Possibly another if sloane leaves.

Neither were being talked about in the same vein as this yrs 17y.os are.

Yeah - Hayes did make the AA team as a bottom ager, and also top ager. Worpel made AA too. Both ultimately slipped to the 3rd Round in the draft.

No-one was blowing their load over Hayes the way some on BF are about Rankine, Lukosius, et al.

No idea if the AFL recruiters are so bullish however......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back