Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

Very tough day to be a defender. Midfield flogged, wind, fifteen KPDs and no halfbacks that can kick.

Yep. I know the clubs like to play around with teams - particularly early in JLT - but personally I've always thought in order to experiment you need to have some control over the parameters. If you want to see how McKay / Durdin / Daw / whoever are going to go in the backline I think you need to pick one to play alongside the regulars or pick a type to swap with a regular (ie. swap Tas for Daw if you want Daw to play the sweeping CHB role). Obviously they're trying to manage workload as well for the seniors which I get but I just think if you throw the whole team around you don't achieve that much. My personal opinion.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like what I see. Intent and closing speed into aerial contests is a strength of his, as far as I can see.

Anyone who has been watching him closely care to comment his tackling strength/stickability? It's one thing I haven't noted as yet.

He also works himself through traffic smartly. He has a really good build for both endurance and strength. Im sure his form will fluctuate but play him every game in the seniors this year. Kid will only grow.
Yes, he is going well. Play him every game in the seniors that he deserves to play in. Form drops off a lot, back to the reserves son till you force your way back up. A system that has worked for a hundred years.

This guy has something that many in our list don’t - poise, balance, vision and good decision making in close. For me, these were attributes that stood out in his games last year and that is the form he should be judged on. Making judgement on any of our players’ ability/talent based on the two terrible team performances in the JLT is the wrong reference point.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This guy has something that many in our list don’t - poise, balance, vision and good decision making in close. For me, these were attributes that stood out in his games last year and that is the form he should be judged on. Making judgement on any of our players’ ability/talent based on the two terrible team performances in the JLT is the wrong reference point.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, he was ok in his 7 games last year, hopefully he stays injury free and in good form and continues building himself a career as an AFL footballer.

Watched the JLT2 again, and I don't understand why anyone has any doubts.

I'm also a believer but playing devil's advocate - his disposal is passable but not necessarily damaging and his size and attributes may seem him in no fixed position.

Don't expect these to be overly limiting factors but worth considering when predicting his long term odds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back