Gibbs is now a Crow

How do you feel about the Bryce Gibbs deal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought any new contract Gibbs has with the AFC would not take much into consideration if he was front loaded at Carlton.

I am sure he would be on the same good coin as any blue chip mid at any other Club.

Gibbs may have been offered a few dollars more, but Adelaides obligation would have simply been to take over the current contract.
I don't know whether or not a new 'deal' was negotiated. It may have been but didn't really need to be, although Gibbs wouldn't have said no.

Point is that a relatively cheap, quality mid may allow the club to hang onto another player they may have lost for more money elsewhere.

What if we win a flag but he misses large portions of the season with injury?
If he's a part of that premiership team, then it will be worth it. We got close last year, without him in the team, only to fall at the final hurdle when our midfield imploded. If we win the GF due to having a midfield that doesn't implode, then it's definitely worth it.

If we only get 70 games out of him at his peak, with no flag, then the deal will have been an expensive failure. 70 games just isn't enough to justify giving up 2x 1st round picks (less change from later rounds). For this to be worth it, we have to win big, or we have to get a lot of high quality mileage out of him.

Given the price we paid, we've risked big, hoping for a big reward. If we don't get that reward, then the price we paid will have been too high.

... giving up 2x 1st round picks (less change from later rounds). ...
If Carlton ends up near the bottom as they're looking like given their start, the positional difference between pick 10 and 16 we gave up last year will be more than the difference between that pick 16 and this years Carlton 2nd round pick we got (in a stronger draft with potentially good enough SA telent).

That's more like a 1 and a 1/2 1st round picks trade for Gibbs - could almost even say 1 1st round and change. Guess they wouldn't have known this at the time of the trade but AFC probably thought it possible.

Gibbs may have been offered a few dollars more, but Adelaides obligation would have simply been to take over the current contract.
I don't know whether or not a new 'deal' was negotiated. It may have been but didn't really need to be, although Gibbs wouldn't have said no.

Point is that a relatively cheap, quality mid may allow the club to hang onto another player they may have lost for more money elsewhere.
Gibbs actually took a paycut coming to AFC.

Gibbs actually took a paycut coming to AFC.

Well Im glad and rightly so, if it was for genuine compassionate reasons to come home, which it was.

Mind you, it would be interesting to know what he is on and what his "actual average income" would be given he had a heavy front loaded contract.

His decline will imo definitely occur before 100+ games. More than likely It will be around the end of the 3rd season with us or early into the 4th. If the AFC had gone after him last year, he may achieved one of your criteria. With that said, I do believe he will remain serviceable for us in his 4th season. But definitely will be in the decline phase by then.

As to premierships with him. Given I think this is Sloane's last year with us, that part of the equation regarding premierships will be answered this year. Losing Sloane in our midfield is a body blow imo. If Brouch was injury free, then there would be some room to believe we could win the flag next year without a player like Sloane.

The only caveat to premierships next year or the year after that is if we manage to grab a blue chip FA or pay overs for a contracted one.
According to W Carey most players are at the peak of their game from the age of 27-29 so you would think Gibbs has this year and the next before we see a noticeble decline.

If he's a part of that premiership team, then it will be worth it. We got close last year, without him in the team, only to fall at the final hurdle when our midfield imploded. If we win the GF due to having a midfield that doesn't implode, then it's definitely worth it.

If we only get 70 games out of him at his peak, with no flag, then the deal will have been an expensive failure. 70 games just isn't enough to justify giving up 2x 1st round picks (less change from later rounds). For this to be worth it, we have to win big, or we have to get a lot of high quality mileage out of him.

Given the price we paid, we've risked big, hoping for a big reward. If we don't get that reward, then the price we paid will have been too high.
This is dumb

Why not double down and claim the price we paid also depends on whether pick 10 Lochie O’Brien and pick 16 Ed Richards go on to play in premierships? If they never win premierships, then the price we paid was effectively zero regardless of what they achieve as players?

The value of trading for Gibbs is an increased chance of a premiership now.

The actual outcome will depend on this and many other factors. It is dumb to say premiership = win, no premiership = lose.

This is dumb

Why not double down and claim the price we paid also depends on whether pick 10 Lochie O’Brien and pick 16 Ed Richards go on to play in premierships? If they never win premierships, then the price we paid was effectively zero regardless of what they achieve as players?

The actual outcome will depend on this and many other factors. It is dumb to say premiership = win, no premiership = lose.

Pertinent point raised. If those players we missed on at those picks fail to achieve anything. Then you have raised a valid point.

At the very least, Gibbs has given us a strong premiership chance. Those players in the draft definitely will not this year and next.

This is dumb

Because that's the price we chose to pay - enhancing our team now, instead of picking 2 players who could have been with us for 10+ years. We've gambled on Gibbs, at the potential price of future output from the draftees we gave up. The question is whether or not that gamble pays off - and only time can provide the answer to that question.

Because that's the price we chose to pay - enhancing our team now, instead of picking 2 players who could have been with us for 10+ years. We've gambled on Gibbs, at the potential price of future output from the draftees we gave up. The question is whether or not that gamble pays off - and only time can provide the answer to that question.
You do realise draft picks are a gamble too, right?

How do you reckon we'd be going right now without him in the team? No Crouch x 2, Douglas missing one, Sloane seemingly a bit impaired.

Turn it up.

How do you reckon we'd be going right now without him in the team? No Crouch x 2, Douglas missing one, Sloane seemingly a bit impaired.

Turn it up.
We swapped gambles. We gambled on the now, instead of gambling on the future. No argument there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supposedly we gave him a new 4 year deal when he came over, whether that was simply a 2 year extension on his Carlton deal, or a whole new deal together I'm not sure.

Im just going to leave this here... and to think people were asking the question back in 2016 as to why the club would even be interested in him:rolleyes:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...cont-in-part-2.1147170/page-282#post-51793038

The need for Gibbs is getting less as each week our mids become a better unit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nah I do think we still need Gibbs to add to our ranks.

Not only will he take a tonne of pressure off of Sloane, which will hopefully help him perform every game rather than just some, but imagine replacing a Mackay, or an out of form Atkins/Douglas with Gibbs. Are we also really going to pin our midfield resurgence on a former basketballer and injury prone junior? That's a very fine line to walk and could seriously bite us in the ass if we aren't careful.

Instantly makes our midfield unit a whole heap better. Our midfield is operating well at the moment yes, but it could still be better, a lot better. Gibbs makes it better.

He's a goal threat, he's a brilliant kick, good tackler, smart footballer and can take a strong contested mark. He's doesn't rely on his athleticism to be an A grade player, and has proven to be quite durable, another bonus people tend to overlook when discussing his age. He can even float across HBF like Boyd in his later years if we really need.

Gibbs is certainly worth chasing again, as he is a class player and brings a lot to our team over various aspects.

Yes Rockliff might come for free, but imo I don't think he's worth adding to our ranks. He doesn't provide us with an edge that we don't already have and isn't as versatile as Gibbs.

azza77, Aug 10, 2017Report

Surely you can find better vindication than quoting our own Janus? :p

Point stands though

Turn it up.

We'd 1-3 instead of 2-2.

Either way we'd b showing no signs of being genuinely in a premiership window so I fail to see the difference.

actually.. tell a lie. I do see one difference, without Gibbs we'd have 2 extra first round draft picks and probably a better draft picks this year because we'd finish lower on the ladder rather than making up the numbers in the top 8.

The argument is we went a year too late. And the science is in on that one.

But that's the thing, we missed the right chance to get him, we'd have been better off not getting him at all then getting him late like we have now.

We've literally picked the worst of both worlds.

Also I'd argue we didn't get him too late: what we did wrong was be interested in him at all. If we'd never even glanced at Gibbs we'd still have Lyons who was a better player than Gibbs last year, is younger and has surpassed Gibbs by an even greater margin this year.

Back